Sandy the Tan FJ60 (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

(Before pics are on Pg 5 of this thread)

And the afters. I'm happy with how it turned out!

The rear tire carrier crossmember was also done with the same treatment but was removed and hadn't been reinstalled yet before these pics.

IMG_9667.JPG

IMG_9672.JPG

IMG_9676.JPG

IMG_9678.JPG

IMG_9679.JPG

An internal frame pic after spraying with Eastwood internal frame coating. The application of this product was crazy easy and had a great spray pattern. Had to be quick with the rag though as some of the paint dripped out of the frame holes and down the frame and dripped onto the floor.

IMG_9691.JPG

While putting the bumpers back on today I decided to replace the crappy battery leads which were on the truck. The positive one would not tighten to the battery post enough to keep it locked in place. Got some generic Mil spec ones off amazon. This is the first step in my wiring project for this truck.

Before:
IMG_9697.JPG

After:
IMG_9698.JPG

Looks like the same ones I used, it sure does clean it up. Plus adding components like an auxiliary fuse panel or lights is much easier. Nice work!

Definitely makes things easier. I'll be wiring all accessories though a Blue Sea fuse block which is the next step once I fab a bracket to locate it. Winch, lights, interior accessories, etc will all go through it.

Definitely makes things easier. I'll be wiring all accessories though a Blue Sea fuse block which is the next step once I fab a bracket to locate it. Winch, lights, interior accessories, etc will all go through it.
Are you going to stick with a single battery setup or go dual? Upgrade to a 3fe alternator? Will you need a dcdc charger? I'm trying to figure out if I want to go down this rabbit hole or not.

Are you going to stick with a single battery setup or go dual? Upgrade to a 3fe alternator? Will you need a dcdc charger? I'm trying to figure out if I want to go down this rabbit hole or not.

Staying single battery for now until I add a fridge or something else that draws more. I put a 65A alternator on there when the previous one failed on our way home. I’ll likely upgrade again if/when I go dual batteries.

Man can’t wait to drive this thing next time I’m home. Looks like a completely different truck.

Added some RadRubber splash guards today. Was waiting to get these on until after the chassis coating was done. The truck didn't come with anything on it so these were a nice addition.

Before:
IMG_9704.JPG

IMG_9705.JPG

After:
IMG_9706.JPG
IMG_9707.JPG

Also any idea what the story is with the rear bumper? If that’s a diy by PO that’s impressive. Been watching a lot of videos on diy swingout s lately but haven’t gotten off the couch.

Got some pics for you while putting the bumper back on. It was a DIY by the first owner (not the one I bought it from). Designed as a dual swing out to hold a spare tire, fuel can, hi-lift, and shovel. Secures using a single hitch pin in the middle of the two swing outs.

It’s secured using a total of 14 bolts. 4 through the rear crossmember threaded into the bumper, two from the bottom of the crossmember and then 8 on the factory supports. It’s a decent DIY option IMO but I have a couple improvements I plan to make. It fits tight to the body and secures everything nicely.

09DC7EB8-8D08-4D43-A5D8-01CED845B0E8.jpeg

58567AAF-525D-4024-8CB6-35C583D012CB.jpeg

9B212F9C-BCDA-47E7-90A2-C0BF9865418A.jpeg

A5EC0C3A-4E14-4E29-8861-607EA92040D1.jpeg

157A2B24-1698-4EC8-AE1B-E8B26AD53BD6.jpeg

@joyRidaz couple more due to 5 pic limit showing the mounts.

These pics remind me I need to clean up those bolts since the chassis looks so nice now.

Looks like a slick design with a lot of functionality! Thanks for the pics.

There’s a dude on YouTube down in Australia I think that did a really slick build series on something similar. “Favorite Jay” I think is the channel name.

Now if I could only get off my @ss and get motivated!

Lots of little items done today in preparation of the first ONSC club event of the year this weekend.

First was to finally extend the breathers for the axles. Didn't do the transmission breather at this time. Ran them both up to the engine bay. New valves, clips, and hose front and rear.
IMG_9718.JPG

Then replaced the heater hose which one of the POs had put a port in and caused the pipe to kink. The rear heater was always WAY hotter than the front heater and I thought this may have played a role. I replaced it with some green stripe hose, burped the system again, and now the front heater is just as hot at the rear. WIN!
032555E8-1F62-40FA-BC1A-6DB1228F82F1.JPG

Also put in a cheap dash pad to help preserve my *relatively crack free dash. Planning to re-adjust it once it gets a few days in the sun and flattens out a bit more.
fullsizeoutput_20cc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20cd.jpeg

Last edited:
You've heard the saying "Putting lipstick on a pig"? Well here it is.

While I had the bumpers off, it motivated me to remove the grill which was badly faded, as were all of the plastics, and give all the plastics a coat of paint. The grill, headlight buckets, Toyota emblem, fender vents, mirrors, and pillar vents all got a coat of semi-gloss black.

Gave the Toyota emblem a coat of matching body paint instead of the factory white.
96F5B2D5-3A27-4907-BD07-8EE5740337E1.JPG
IMG_9723.JPG

Mirrors were disassembled and painted:
7E421B8C-EE13-45C9-9806-DF03F8BC2E87.JPG

And vents:
IMG_9724.JPG
3632FC78-E6E8-42F5-9BB2-64AA08D9C326.JPG

Ooo, I like that dash carpet. I had one of those on my e24 eons ago.

Does it have snaps to keep it in place, or does it just sit there?

Ooo, I like that dash carpet. I had one of those on my e24 eons ago.

Does it have snaps to keep it in place, or does it just sit there?

Thanks! It’s Dash designs and I got it on rock auto. It holds in place with adhesive bits of Velcro that attach to the pad so you can remove it and reposition it easily

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom