Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

welp I finally just bit the bullet and Ordered Seat covers from @Cruiser Corps ! They seemed to be the best quality/price. I am stoked to get them and have some nice coral front seats for my fj40! These are the ones I bought: Seat Covers / Front - 4 Pc Set - FJ40 1962-1971 - https://cruisercorps.com/products/seat-covers-front-4-pc-set?variant=12736648413250 any tips for cussion material/batting to buy let me know! I am pretty sure I am going to use what @Skreddy shared with me on post #304. Its a little late now but if anybody has some pictures of Cruiser Corps Coral early fj40 seat covers installed send them my way!

Let’s see if this works…. Here’s the link to where I did my covers in my 1970. Not that I did it right, but I’m happy with the result.
Post in thread 'Skreddy’s 70 Non-Resto'
Builds - Skreddy’s 70 Non-Resto - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/skreddys-70-non-resto.1267834/post-14234331

Starts at post 79 if link doesn’t work.
It does work. I am going to be following this carefully Thanks! How long does it usually take for the order to come in from cruiser corps? you use 3/4 size hog rings? would you stick with that size? or go smaller?

Thanks!

Usually 3-6 weeks. Last set I did took a lot longer but I got the feeling the order got “lost” or something.
I used the hog rings they supplied, can’t remember what size but I’ll look it up because I bought additional. I used the harbor freight hog ring pliers. They aren’t great but for the cost, if only doing a couple seats they are fine.

Make sure to get the seams lined up when installing top and bottoms. To do this, you need to make sure the side plates of the seats are flat and the tops and bottoms line up well. I didn’t show it in the thread but I’ll get the burlap and foam on top and bottom. Then I’ll loosely assemble the seat and make a sharpie line on the foam at center, then a line on the underside of the cover at center. Then when installing you line them up and the pleat seams should match.

Usually 3-6 weeks. Last set I did took a lot longer but I got the feeling the order got “lost” or something.
I used the hog rings they supplied, can’t remember what size but I’ll look it up because I bought additional. I used the harbor freight hog ring pliers. They aren’t great but for the cost, if only doing a couple seats they are fine.

Make sure to get the seams lined up when installing top and bottoms. To do this, you need to make sure the side plates of the seats are flat and the tops and bottoms line up well. I didn’t show it in the thread but I’ll get the burlap and foam on top and bottom. Then I’ll loosely assemble the seat and make a sharpie line on the foam at center, then a line on the underside of the cover at center. Then when installing you line them up and the pleat seams should match.
I got an email saying all the items in my order have shipped from cruisercorps. We shall see if it all gets here this coming week. If it does Ill start tearing the seats apart and painting them and reupholstering next weekend! I kinda doubt it actually shipped though if it even says 7-10 days on their site I am guessing they screws and break peddle pad that I ordered too.

Here’s the hog rings I used (Amazon special). Top one is what came with cruiser corps covers and bottom one is what I bought. Either worked equally well. Don’t forget your listing wire!
A22C5169-4755-49AF-8111-4F566981B34F.jpeg

Here’s the hog rings I used (Amazon special). Top one is what came with cruiser corps covers and bottom one is what I bought. Either worked equally well. Don’t forget your listing wire!View attachment 3260222
Thanks I think the local hardware store will have some single strand copper wire I can use for listing wire. I think I read on cruiser corps that they suggest that as well. I just ordered everything thing else. Should start getting stuff in Thursday and Friday. We shall see if everything gets here in time to start the process.

while waiting on my seat covers I started looking at things I could replace that will be good PM to replace. I looked at my voltage regulator and it looks rough.... I Also have never had a working door lock so I ordered a voltage regulator and a door lock and key from @ToyotaMatt I am stoked to get them. I also ordred some valve cover gaskets. the sbc is leaking oil from there pretty profusely. Good rust management system though... haha.

I am seriously contemplating putting a holley small bore 2gc sniper kit on it. and just doing a good freshen up on a few gaskets and then keep driving with the sbc for a few years while I source parts to swap out to a 1f engine. I think the 2gc kit can be made to work on the 1f engine too. I think @thecrazygreek did it here: Thread 64 1f 2gc

I could also do the holley 2300 sniper and use the adapter that I already have as well. I think it would be easier to directly bolt up to the sbc intake using the 2gc though. Just spitballing.

Last edited:
Just spitballing.
😂… as long as you‘re in motion within 20 secs (assuming your fiancé is with you, i.e. “on base”) you won’t get charged a ball, 15 secs if you’re by yourself. Don’t know about getting ejected though if you get caught throwing a spitball. 😝

I know I’ve asked before and cannot remember the post.

Which rattle can paint are you using for Touch ups?
its what ever walmart sells. t1028. I will say I was not as impressed with the second rattle can. it was comming out more white than spring green. Sorry I have not been on mud much this week. I did get my seat covers in so I will be posting that process pretty soon!

its what ever walmart sells. t1028. I will say I was not as impressed with the second rattle can. it was comming out more white than spring green. Sorry I have not been on mud much this week. I did get my seat covers in so I will be posting that process pretty soon!

Thank you!

Looking forward to the seat recover

Well these awesome seat covers showed up from @Cruiser Corps . they actually beat the rest of the things that I ordered off amazon to do the seats. This weekend I will be stripping whats left of the old seat covers and cushion and painting the seat frames! then hopefully after work next week I can start the reupholstering part of the job when everything shows up!
IMG_1922.JPG

Last edited:
found you on instagram and I just realized you were the one that had that nice brown caramel color hj45 for sale in raleigh! I remember seeing that for sale. I wish I had the money to buy that one at the time!
Oh yeah, it was fun and pretty cool, but I’m going to be straight up honest with you, it needed work and had some rust and bondo I just did not want to deal with. What you ended up with is far better than the 45. It had a hefty up mark because of the pickup and diesel. But hey, I just sold it for whatever someone would pay

Oh yeah, it was fun and pretty cool, but I’m going to be straight up honest with you, it needed work and had some rust and bondo I just did not want to deal with. What you ended up with is far better than the 45. It had a hefty up mark because of the pickup and diesel. But hey, I just sold it for whatever someone would pay
I think I remember seeing some bondo or something going on in the bed. still was a very cool truck. Id love to have one or one of the 70 series trucks. I am happy with what I have now for sure though. I cant wait to use it topless in the summer.

Started the tear down of the drivers seat.the bottom was rough. I osphed it and let it soak for a day. then painted it. I had to tack weld part of the spring frame together in a couple places where it had broken. (the second picture is one of the places) Not the best job but hopefully nobody will see it until the next time the seats get done. I stripped the black paint off the lower part of the seat frame (part that goes on top of the tool box). And I stripped the black paint on the seat back plate and the two corner pieces that hold the seat together. I started painting the parts. starting to look nice.

69964023275__0A509318-703A-4E52-9274-4831B1AF59D7.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG
IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG

Passenger seat will be torn down and painted tomorrow. passenger side should be slightly easier as it has not been painted black. The back plate on the passenger side is rough though. Will take a little time to strip it and make it look nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom