Saginaw twisted spline? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well...I guess this either happened on "Bends and Dents" at Gray Rock or in my yard when I broke the drag link on a unseen stump. :doh:

As you can see below I "candy-caned" the splined output shaft on the Saginaw gear which begs the question...what do I do now? Do I have to have a new box drilled and tapped ( I have WTOR's ram assist) or can I just replace the output shaft?

BTW Poser, the H41/Orion is great! More to follow on that soon..

Fire away...
Sag Spline twist2.jpg

that is bad ass! first time i ever saw that.

I think you can just swap the shaft. Maybe get your next one cryo'd

Todd-

I replaced my steering gear in '99 with a Cadilac/J20 steering gear when the used '71 Impala steering gear that I had been using since '91 did that.

I have since installed a ported steering gear from PSC for the hydraulic assist set up that I am using.

Glad that everything went smoothly with the H41/Orion.

Thank you!

-Steve

Absolutely, that would be the best way to go.

If the pinion is twisted like that, what is the condition of everything else? Just get a quality steering gear ported and ready to go and swap it out.

:beer:

I saw a twisted sector ONCE, a couple of years ago at the Hammers.

Belonged to some guy from TX named Nolen.

He said it was "work hardened".

:eek: :eek: :eek:

x2 on what Steve said. The force that 'created' that presumably is strong enough to damage any other part in the box of a smaller size [which is pretty much EVERYTHING!]

While getting ready to call PSC tomorrow and went out to count the input shaft splines and measure and found this... :confused:

This maybe a stupid question, but is there supposed to be a flat spot on the splined shaft? If not, why the fawk is it there? If so than I have a 13/16 30 spline...does this make sense???

Todd
Input Shaft.jpg

Flat spot- Yes.

13/16"- 36 spline (If there were splines in the flat area, they would total 36)

I have seen quite a few barber poled output shafts in the last few years, usually after someone hit a full size truck in the front tire though.
Dave

not heavy enough :flipoff2:

Snapped the drag link like a twig, but guess it held out long enough twist the sector shaft...

Unlike some people, I'm perfectly willing to put my stupidity up for the world to see.

:cheers:

Find a new ptiman arm while you are at it, chances are it tweaked as well.
Dave

Todd-

I replaced my steering gear in '99 with a Cadilac/J20 steering gear when the used '71 Impala steering gear that I had been using since '91 did that.

-Steve

Sorry about the hijack Todd. Steve, what models were the J20's used in? ALso for both of you, which adapter kit do you recommend? I found one at one time that had a strong looking collar thing but now I can't find it ... maybe Proffit's?

Thanks Guys!

This is starting to be more common on the rubicon, usually they just shear off. I carry a spare SECTOR SHAFT, very easy to replace on the trail. take off your pittman arm, remove the top 4 bolts from the top of your steering box, pop out the broken/bent sector shaft, slide in your spare and bolt together, Adjust the free play. Now you are up and running again. John

Sorry about the hijack Todd. Steve, what models were the J20's used in? ALso for both of you, which adapter kit do you recommend? I found one at one time that had a strong looking collar thing but now I can't find it ... maybe Proffit's?

Thanks Guys!

NAPA part number is 51-6529

J20 is a Jeep 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup...

1976 is the year that I use when 'looking it up' online or with another auto drone store...

:beer:

Auto Zone's part number is just 6529. I got mine for around $200 ish if I remember correctly. This box is definitely the way to go, I love mine. Here is a picture showing the larger J20 box compared to a 4 bolt box that I snagged out of a mid 80's wagoneer.
FJ40-1639.JPG
FJ40-1642.JPG
FJ40-1643.JPG

More:
FJ40-1644.JPG
FJ40-1645.JPG
FJ40-1646.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom