Saginaw Power Steering - Gearbox Source? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the middle of saginaw power steering conversion on my 79 fj40. I ordered (carparts.com) a rebuilt 4 1/4 turn gearbox but received a 3.5 turn. Tried to source another through napa, they tell me the 3.5 is all that is available any more. Anyone have a reliable source for the 4 1/4" turn box?

I found one at Advance Auto late last year. Cardone 27-6537 was the part number. They had it in stock so I was able to verify the ratio before purchasing. PSC will also have anything you want and are incredibly knowledgeable. If or when the box I have now leaks I will probably go with PSC unit. They are new performance or race parts though so considerably more expensive.

Application wise, you might look into one for a jeep cj 7. Im pretty sure it's a 4+ turn box, but you might want to confirm it.

thanks guys. I did order that same cardone part# @Mopdog but they sent the wrong one (carparts.com). My bro and I are both doing the conversion at the same time. Both boxes we ordered were 3.5 turn despite the part number and description being correct. Carparts.com were no help and pretty sure their support line is overseas. They had no knowledge of what I was inquiring about so i returned the box to them.

Local shops couldn't help. Checked with Summit, Cardone directly and several others. I finally found someone at BuyAutoParts.com that knew exactly what I was asking and willing to pull the part and check it before shipping. I've purchased other things from them in the past and they have been good so we'll see what shows up in the package. I'm not super confident.

Last edited:
It was some years ago, but I got one from Napa. I ordered it online for pickup for a 69 Impala. Checked it there before I paid and it was a 4-hole 4-1/4 turn. It might be worth a try. No shipping, just a ride to check it out. “Napa 69 Impala”

@Steamer, thanks. tried Napa and they said they couldn't source one. I just heard back from the local Car Quest and he said he'd be willing to order all 5 the distributor has so we can test, and send back the rest if we find one that works. Might try that if the one I ordered ends up being incorrect.

Redhead Steering gears, if you are OK with paying a premium.

@AGR Steering was active on here a while back and could probably get you sorted as well. Probably also a premium but as far as I’ve heard (I’m not running one of their boxes yet) their stuff is great quality as well.

I had the same issue you did - ordered about 3 boxes labeled as 4.25 turn boxes before I got one that was ACTUALLY 4.25 turns. This has come up a few times on the forum lately so they seem to be approaching unicorn status.

That said, a couple folks on here have run the 3.5 turn boxes and said that their “squirelliness” is overstated. No experience on that front though.

I have a different set up, but the 3,5 turn is very nice !

Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America
Shop 209-475-8808

I would use that box. I hate the 4 1/2 Turn box. Feels to sloppy makes your rig feel like it’s floatimg. , I run a 2 1/2 turn box. But don’t recommend it it’s to sketchy. I don’t let anybody drive my rig. But I love it. I can turn the corner with half a rotation of the wheel no round and around of the steering wheel. What size wheel are you using also?

@hey you yes, been working with cruiser outfitters and Georg at Valley hybrids for all the parts. They do not carry the gearbox so trying to source that elsewhere. We finished up my bros conversion last night and the 3.5 turn is actually pretty nice. I would probably be fine with it, but I do have a 4.25 box on order. We'll compare with the 3.5 when installed and see which we like better.

I have a nice PSC box on mine. it is 2.5 turns lock to lock. I love it. It is great on the trails here on the east coast and also going down the highway.

I usually source my box from a 88 jeep YJ, it has the more common 30 sline input, is only 3 bolts, but have never seen one break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom