saginaw conversion info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CAJ- I said no intructions were included with the 4x4labs kit. Well, :slap: I ran across them last night whilst trying to organize junk in the garage:hillbilly:

View attachment 1608577
Thanks for the instructions. I emailed 4x4 labs twice, but they have not bothered to reply. Guess they don't want my money. :censor:

I found a reman sag box for a '79 Jeep J20 pickup for $135.00. I understand these are good boxes for the conversion.

I can tell you Luke spent waay too much time fielding my questions during my Sag project. I would bet he goes crossed eyed trying to walk people through kit installs. You could peruse the old 4x4labs group buy threads. I recall a mudder who either works for Luke or is a buddy. Seems like he handled alot of the communication. You could ask him if kits are available.

As mentioned above Mark’s Off Road sells a heavy duty sag mount. If you leave him a message he’ll call you back.

Luke at 4x4 Labs has aways been helpful when I needed info. He's also a busy guy. Just like Jim, Mark and Georg, if they can eventually fit my question into their busy day I am more than glad to wait for an answer. This is not a criticism of our desire for instant information in the information age, just a reminder these ('mud vendors) are small businesses trying to provide parts and service in a niche market.

I bought most of my parts from Georg at Valley Hybrids @orangefj45 and Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. Georg was awesome about discussing part numbers for common things they use when they do conversions in their shop. Between him and Kurt, you'll be in good hands.

Luke at 4x4 Labs has aways been helpful when I needed info. He's also a busy guy. Just like Jim, Mark and Georg, if they can eventually fit my question into their busy day I am more than glad to wait for an answer. This is not a criticism of our desire for instant information in the information age, just a reminder these ('mud vendors) are small businesses trying to provide parts and service in a niche market.
It's been more than a week, not exactly instant.

What size tires are you running? Factory steering wheel?

We prefer a 4.25:1 box whenever possible but I've driven 3.5:1 turn setups and they feel fine. I'm 4.25 on my SOA 40 on 35's and it steers like a dream imo. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer about our kit.

Further to my post #16 above, I have now obtained ALL of the parts needed for a full Sag conversion (all new or rebuilt/refurbished). including remanufactured 4 1/4 turn gear box and Downey Off Road Mfg. installation instruction sheet. Because some of these parts were (past tense) used, you'll see bargain basement pricing on this kit once I have all the pieces back in my hands and photoed.

Don't be afraid to think outside the box. I didn't like the idea of welding on the frame and I wanted the power steering box as high as I could get it for clearance. I also didn't want to take away from the stock look if it could be avoided. Flaming River was a good starting place for me as well as other sources like Downey and many others. I really didn't go into it looking to save money but more to getting what "I" wanted vs. what others had to offer. That's not to say that other don't have really good products or advise but choose what works best for "you."

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to think outside the box. I did like the idea of welding on the frame and I wanted the power steering box as high as I could get it for clearance. I also didn't want to take away from the stock look if it could be avoided. Flaming River was a good starting place for me as well as other sources like Downey and many others. I really didn't go into it looking to save money but more to getting what "I" wanted vs. what others had to offer. That's not to say that other don't have really good products or advise but choose what works best for "you."

I followed the link to your original post and I like the way you fabricated the conversion. Nice and clean, definitely gives me more food for thought. CAJ

Check Jhon smith thread i sent you before. You'll find a list of almost every part you'll need. It'll be cheaper. If you've the new style air filter you can buy the pump bracket from georg from valley hybrids, I think he's orangefj45 here on mud and the relay rod, pitman arm and gearbox bracket from Mark. If you've the old style (f engine) air filter then mark has the pump bracket for that too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom