3.5 turns Saginaw box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently I have 4.25 turns Saginaw box in my 40, and I hate it .. So sloppy and floaty-like. I would like to go with 3.5 turns instead but can't be sure of the correct part number. It should be 4 bolts and 13/16 input shaft size. any help with the correct part number would be appreciated.

Currently I have 4.25 turns Saginaw box in my 40, and I hate it .. So sloppy and floaty-like. I would like to go with 3.5 turns instead but can't be sure of the correct part number. It should be 4 bolts and 13/16 input shaft size. any help with the correct part number would be appreciated.
I had a 4 turn in mine that I wasn’t able to rebuild due to some damage on the housing.
Found a reman from NAPA with the same part number and ended up having to return it (it leaked) and grabbed the other one they happened to have.

The first one was 4 turn, I verified at the store by spinning the shaft. I didn’t verify the second one because I “assumed” it was the same and didn’t figure out it was a 3 turn until I installed it.

At first I was not pleased, it’s almost scary responsive. I’m still on the fence but leaning towards wishing it were a 4. I could see the benefits for wheeling but I like to drive her normally more than just wheel. Need to get my caster shims in and then will make the final call.

Anyway, that was a very long winded way of sharing this picture of my original 4 turns part number:

1699795728882.jpeg

My number is the same as above and it’s a 3.5 turn. From what I’ve read, the best way to tell is turn it at the store before you leave
truth

Depending which pitman arm you choose and the distance your box is placed forward of the axle, the lock to lock changes.
In most cases a 4 turn box using a CJ5 pitman ends up around 3 1/4. It quicker with the wagoneer arm and slower with the
Jeep drop arm.... and yes 90% of the sag kits use jeep arms. The typical pitman supplied in an Advance Adapter saginaw kit is
a CJ5/7 arm with a CJ5/7 rod end.

Depending which pitman arm you choose and the distance your box is placed forward of the axle, the lock to lock changes.
In most cases a 4 turn box using a CJ5 pitman ends up around 3 1/4. It quicker with the wagoneer arm and slower with the
Jeep drop arm.... and yes 90% of the sag kits use jeep arms. The typical pitman supplied in an Advance Adapter saginaw kit is
I could see the length of the arm changing the distance travelled on the drag end, but just changing the pitman would not change anything about the internal components of the box. Shorter arm would equate to quicker steering response, no? Am I missing something?

this makes sense, thank you and great info.

Sloppy and floaty like has nothing to do with the number of turns. I’ve got a 4.25 turn Saginaw box and the steering is tight and has almost no play.

The longer the pitman arm the quicker it will steer. Has nothing to due with the number of turns. I have a big bore box what is in the 3 turn range, but on my set up I am 2.5 turns lock to lock, which on and off road to me feels great. Too long of a pitman arm, say a scout arm, and you can put undue pressure on the box and damage it. I like a 98 WJ Jeep arm. It is way beefy and the correct length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom