Saginaw conversion tie rod ends… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
Here’s something I never really paid any attention to;

My ‘75 FJ40 had been converted to Saginaw power steering before it was acquired by me… I did change all of the connected hardware from the column to the power steering gear box for improved connection but the remainder of the parts for the tie rod are the same ones on it when it arrived….does this mean the tie rod ends used on it are the same toyota ones or are the different due to the converted Saginaw steering ?

The stk 40 dre taper is too small for the GM pitman arm hole. There are a couple of ways to get around this. I think @cruiseroutfit sells a drag link that accommodates a GM tre on 1 end and a stk 40 tre on the other. Another alternative is to press a GM starter bushing into the GM pitman arm hole so the stk 40 tre fits tight in the hole. I believe the GM starter bushing part # is SB0. @knuckle47 the PO may have already altered your pitman arm if the stk 40 tre's fit.

Last edited:
First, the tie rod end & taper have nothing to do with the pitman arm connection, that is a drag link.
As mentioned above there are 4 ways to go about it, use gm end at pitman and figure out how to attach to stock drag link, use bushing so stock upper drag link end fits into pitman, get conversion end that screws into drag link and fits pitman arm, get pitman arm that fits box and accepts stock upper drag link end.

First, the tie rod end & taper have nothing to do with the pitman arm connection, that is a drag link.
As mentioned above there are 4 ways to go about it, use gm end at pitman and figure out how to attach to stock drag link, use bushing so stock upper drag link end fits into pitman, get conversion end that screws into drag link and fits pitman arm, get pitman arm that fits box and accepts stock upper drag link end.

That's Dot'n the tees and cross'n the eyes.

Last edited:
Since posting this, I have expolored more of this issue I think I have,

The castle nut holding the steering arm onto the power steering gearbox cannot fit all the way up the splines so when whomever installed this, they only have the threads even with the bottom of the nut, no cotter pin since there are not enough exposed threads. There is about a 1/2” gap left on the splines where the arm is attached .

IMG_2213.jpeg

Last edited:
IIRC the sector shafts are not drilled for a cotter pin. My saginaw has no pin, a lock washer & nut no castle.
Ah! So there’s my answer….thank you
I saw the castle nut and immediately assumed there needs to be a cotter pin…so, this is essentially the wrong nut….😂

Thanks Mark… I see them in your catalog…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom