Rusted rocker panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
72 FJ40 rocker panel rust through on both sides. I can replace entire section or just cut out and patch. Are there drain holes to prevent future rust? Thinking of perforated aluminum panel or similar. Thoughts?
AFD799FF-D726-4420-899C-3FFD06FDE2E1.jpeg
DFF6A39D-BD7B-470F-B085-CA09208AFC71.jpeg
36141A12-1A76-4CAC-AA1C-E4C3DD5EEE4A.jpeg

Depends on you're level acceptance of results. That rust to me looks real deep and not a quick fix.

my WAG, it is much worse than you are seeing. it looks like it has been skim coated at some point.
your best coarse of action is to cut it out completly and weld in replacement pieces.
what does the inner side of the rocker look like? how about the floors?

my WAG, it is much worse than you are seeing. it looks like it has been skim coated at some point.
your best coarse of action is to cut it out completly and weld in replacement pieces.
what does the inner side of the rocker look like? how about the floors?
Inside is good, no rust. I will be using a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder to cut out the sections back to good metal. I will then tack new metal patch metal in place. I was considering mods to allow water to drain and avoid future recurrence.

How do you know?
What i mean is the rust doesn't appear to have penetrated into the inside wall. After I cut out this panel we will see. The is definitely rust inside this cavity and I have to make sure mud, water can drain from here with this fix. Sorry this is a work in progress.

Was just asking because I just got done cutting and piecing back my rockers. I was surprised how much rust was inside the rockers even though I only saw externally the holes in the panel. I ended having to patch a number of floor pieces within the rocker area as they were in poor shape. Others with experience herein are just cautioning that this typically becomes a can of worms - i.e. you’ll grow to like doing sheet metal repair out of necessity.
At some point I’ll find where the rust stops.
View attachment 1969205
View attachment 1969204

Waviness in the pics is from bad pano photo technique.

As far as draining, not sure if that would help unless there was also serious chemical warfare instigated on the new and remaining metal, plus access to treat in time with more chemical warfare. Good luck with repair.

Was just asking because I just got done cutting and piecing back my rockers. I was surprised how much rust was inside the rockers even though I only saw externally the holes in the panel. I ended having to patch a number of floor pieces within the rocker area as they were in poor shape. Others with experience herein are just cautioning that this typically becomes a can of worms - i.e. you’ll grow to like doing sheet metal repair out of necessity.

As far as draining, not sure if that would help unless there was also serious chemical warfare instigated on the new and remaining metal, plus access to treat in time with more chemical warfare. Good luck with repair.
Oh My that is some bad oxidation!!! Hope to have new pics of my progress tonight after I cutting out the "Dead Stuff".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom