Rust repair and overall upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I started tearing my interior apart and came by a lot of this insulation type material left behind from the carpet does anyone have a quick and easy way to get this fuzzy stuff off?
IMG_1815.jpg

A course scrubbing pad and wire brush made quick work of mine.

Could you use a softer wire cup on a angle grinder or one of those nylon brush cups? Guess that might be too aggressive as it would start to strip down to bare metal if you allowed it huh...

Awesome thats exactly what I was gonna try! I will put up some photos tomorrow on how it goes!

I started today by removing as much as the leftover carpet material and the old sound mat. After taking and hour on the drivers side I realized if I hit the sound mat all around with a small hammer it all just got loose and broke apart! I then did the rest of the car in about five minutes! Well I was taking the sound matt out on the passengers side it was wet all the way up to the fan towards the firewall. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? The second and the fourth are pictures of the problem. Tomorrow I plan on sanding everything down and starting on repairing some of the floor board rust in the back.
IMG_1819.JPG
IMG_1821.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG
IMG_1823.JPG
IMG_1824.JPG

If you are getting a leak under the dash near the passenger side that would lead me to believe that it is either the AC Condenser or the Heater Core that are leaking. Both require dismantling the dash from my reading.

If you are getting a leak under the dash near the passenger side that would lead me to believe that it is either the AC Condenser or the Heater Core that are leaking. Both require dismantling the dash from my reading.
I don't have any ac so it would have to be the heater. But wouldn't it smell like coolant if it was the heater core?

Check the grommets around things passing through your firewall. That's where my FJ62 leaked water into the passenger footwell.
You are doing good work, keep it up!

I don't have any ac so it would have to be the heater. But wouldn't it smell like coolant if it was the heater core?

Not necessarily. Definitely worth a check to shine a flashlight back there and start poking around to see if you can rule out that it is not leaking.

Check the grommets around things passing through your firewall. That's where my FJ62 leaked water into the passenger footwell.
You are doing good work, keep it up!

DEFINITELY THIS!! There is one large grommet on the passenger side under the windshield washer reservoir that leads into the cab. You could be getting something that is leaking there and touching on the wires and just following them in. Pull the side kick panel as well (need to anyways to look at the grommet from the inside) and make sure you don't have some weird leak coming from the raingutter down the door or anything.

Not necessarily. Definitely worth a check to shine a flashlight back there and start poking around to see if you can rule out that it is not leaking.

DEFINITELY THIS!! There is one large grommet on the passenger side under the windshield washer reservoir that leads into the cab. You could be getting something that is leaking there and touching on the wires and just following them in. Pull the side kick panel as well (need to anyways to look at the grommet from the inside) and make sure you don't have some weird leak coming from the raingutter down the door or anything.
Awesome thanks for the advice! I am going to run a test by running water down that side of the vehicle and see if I can visibly see where it's coming from! If it's the grommet what would be the best way to block it from there?

IMG_1828.JPG
Spent the day sanding down the floor and fighting off rust! It was definitely a long day but slowly making progress. Tomorrow I will start on cutting some of the rust out and welding some new panels in!

NIce work dude!!! I see you went and grabbed one of the angle grinders finally instead of trying by hand!

Oh and here are the abrasive pads I was talking about. My buddy that did body work for a number of years called them "hamburgers".

IMG_9153.JPG

Last edited:
Oh and here are the abrasive pads I was talking about. My buddy that did body work for a number of years called them "hamburgers".

That's a new one to me. I'm definitely going to track one down and try it out.

Eric

That's a new one to me. I'm definitely going to track one down and try it out.

Eric
yeah they are just thicker, open cell abrasive pads, I guess kinda like big versions of a 3M Scotchbrite pad. They do a great job of stripping paint and bondo and whatnot but don't heat up the metal like a true abrasive pad/flap disc would. And the larger surface area also makes it nice for stripping things off quickly.

NIce work dude!!! I see you went and grabbed one of the angle grinders finally instead of trying by hand!

View attachment 1359872
Yes thanks for advice it really sped things up! Yeah I also got a couple of those "hamburgers" I'll try those out today. The flap disc was working so well I didn't want to change anything up!

Don't rule out the lower windshield corners as the source of your leak...

Don't rule out the lower windshield corners as the source of your leak...
I really don't think it would be the windshield because I just got a new window gasket.

Also I did run some water down that side yesterday and never saw any water coming from anywhere so I am still stumped on this part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom