Rust repair and overall upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will only add that I have a random WS gasket leak. If my truck is sitting in a parking lot in a gentle rainstorm, the driver's side WS corner will leak quite a bit. If I'm driving down the highway in a blinding rainstorm, it won't leak. I had a glass guy attempt to re-seal, but the real solution is to replace the WS gasket. Plenty of threads in this forum on the challenges of installing a leak-free WS. Hope you find your leak - it may take a while!

I will only add that I have a random WS gasket leak. If my truck is sitting in a parking lot in a gentle rainstorm, the driver's side WS corner will leak quite a bit. If I'm driving down the highway in a blinding rainstorm, it won't leak. I had a glass guy attempt to re-seal, but the real solution is to replace the WS gasket. Plenty of threads in this forum on the challenges of installing a leak-free WS. Hope you find your leak - it may take a while!
Wow that sounds like it would have been hard to find! I plan on running a house on it soon to figure it out and hopefully find where it's coming from!

Also quick update I took my rear heater out and just plan on removing it. Can I just cap both ends of the heater hose or do I need to loop them into eachother?

loop it

I use a wire wheel to get most of the gunk off. Never clogs.

Then if you ever flush the system there will be no dead ends that hold gunk.

I would suggest to loop it under the hood and getting the hard lines that run to the rear heater out of the system no need to have them anymore with the rear heater gone.

Well after two long days of sanding I'm still not done but very close. I have also cut out all of the rust and will hopefully be replacing it tomorrow or Sunday! Also quick question what are all of the black grommets for in the floor and this is where almost all of the rust started. I'm just wondering why they are there and what there purpose is.

This is where a lot of the water is coming from the passengers side of the tranny hump does anyone have any suggestions why it's leaking there??
IMG_1835.JPG

Last edited:
You might check to see if your cowl is draining properly. I pulled the wiper motor and access panels and found a ton of gunk in mine.
You can get to the drains by removing the little vents on the fenders.

Looks like that is right below the condenser for the AC so you will probably want to pull that all apart and ensure that the condenser is not clogged with crud between the fins (there was a pic recently posted of someone's that was complete clogged with a fuzzy ball).

Today was spent welding rust spots and sanding my rain gutters to prep them to reseal them. The first pic is from my floor panel that had a huge hole in it. And the second picture is from the wheel well where there was rust all the way through.
IMG_1847.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG

Nice work dude... Really hoping Santa comes through with a welder for Christmas for me... :hillbilly:
Haha I am lucky that I have friends that all have nice tools otherwise I would be wishing for the same thing! I am hoping Santa brings me a new paint job for the cruiser!

Well today is not going well so far. As I was taking my passenger side door off it slipped out of my hand, fell and shattered my almost brand new mirror. Here are some pictures so everyone can feel my pain:bang::bang::bang:
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG

That sucks!
If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't paying attention when I set my tailgate down yesterday and crumpled most of my rain gutter trim...

That sucks!
If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't paying attention when I set my tailgate down yesterday and crumpled most of my rain gutter trim...
Ouch that seems a lot worse.... that stuff is hard to replace isn't it?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom