Running boards question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What color was the insert on the running board? Was it painted? When I cleaned some of the grunge off of it, this is what it looks like:

running_boardspost.jpg

Also FWIW, the trim peice that goes over it was painted both sides the original color body color.

AND AS ALWAYS---- thanks for your help!!!!

mine on my 68 has a really cool shiny aluminum insert...that is ribbed...once i cleaned all the crap off...i am going to clear coat it and leave it

osagecruiser

Trekker -- I think I have what you need at home. The factory inserts were
white as far as I know -- and were some sort of rubber that had little
pyramids on them. I have photos from some vintage '68's that still have
the material in them. I found a company that sources a white mat with little
rubber pyramids but their minimum order was too much for me. If you want
to go in together we can get some. As I said, I will post a pic when I can find
it on my hard drive. I bet LandPimp can come up with a pic for us as well.

osagecruiser that looks outstanding. I like it!

However, I want this far with my resto and now I'm going insane with the friggin details. My next truck will be a collection of various species of rust and I'm not gonna change a thing except oil!

rgentry - here's a close-up of what I uncovered. I'm 90% sure it's stock. It's pretty cool actually. Looks like woven string impregniated with rubber. They are in ok shape except they need a little soaking in some acitone or something. I tried bleach last night and nada.

runningboardclose.jpg

trekker

are you sure mine are not stock?...not that it matters much to me...this 40 is for my son...but these appear to be unmolested running boards.....maybe there were different options?.....

osagecruiser

this is the stock rubber-ish insert used on the 65-? running boards
73644998.jpg

73644994.jpg

osagecruiser said:
trekker

are you sure mine are not stock?...not that it matters much to me...this 40 is for my son...but these appear to be unmolested running boards.....maybe there were different options?.....

osagecruiser

I'm NOT sure so don't take my word for it! Who knows? Landpimp just posted a pic of a stocker 65 ish running board. I have another set of running boards with the insert cut out of it, but I found a peice of it under the trim and it looks exactly what Landpimps pic.

FWIW, I just looked under my rubber and saw "Honcho en Mexico" what ever that means... ;)

Landpimp, those look like someone modified a new style running board with the old trim and rubber? You can see the tread wearing through?

ya might be right, just looked at my 65 which lost the rubber years ago........and they are smooth(under where the rubber should be) I will look at the 67 parts rig, it has one side left I think

trekker said:
Landpimp, those look like someone modified a new style running board with the old trim and rubber? You can see the tread wearing through?

Have couple sets of the long steps and a few of the shorts one. Nothing that is usable but some still have the orginal rubber piece on them Most of them are out of town but I think I have three sets of the shorter ones in town. If any of them in town havethe orginal rubber piece I will post a picture of what was on them. If someone can find something that matches the orginal I would like to go in on a group buy.

John

I was hopiong one of you 25'ers would 'step up'!

I just bought some of the old running boards for my 65 FJ40 but I found out that they are the long ones so they wont work. What did the long ones go to? Does anyone have a short pair that they want to trade? The material that was on them looked like Pimps. They are not with me right now so I cant take any pics.

they(40 and 45) changed from short to long in late 64 or early 65, I forget the frame # of when they changed.......but i got it someplace

red66toy said:
I just bought some of the old running boards for my 65 FJ40 but I found out that they are the long ones so they wont work. What did the long ones go to? Does anyone have a short pair that they want to trade? The material that was on them looked like Pimps. They are not with me right now so I cant take any pics.

I have found someone who makes something pretty close to the stuff
that Pimp showed us. I have seen other examples of that stuff
represented as the stock stuff. Hey Redtoy, if your running boards
won't work, I would be interested if you want to move them along.

Here is a photo from the cleanest unmolested 68 I've ever
seen. I can email you the photos if you need them.

As for mats, try this link:

http://www.matcointernational.com/mat-link-pyramid-mats.html

Last edited:
I would venture to say that the stock is as John (Landpimp) shows. The reason being is I have seen other rigs with the same rubber. The other being that the FJ45LV has a stock rear floor mat. I have since recieved a stock front floor mat. Both of these are the same pyramid rubber except in black. I also have a 1972 FJ40 brochure that shows stock floor mats in the brochure that are the same pyramid rubber (black). I have found a company that has the rubber in black. They may have it in white also but I have not looked into it specificly. Let me know if you want the info on them. They are out East.

Another avanue for finding the white pyramid rubber is in the gaming industry as they use it on dice throwing tables.

FWIW, for the 20 years that I've been into cruisers now, all the mid and late 60's ones that I have seen with remnants of the the stock treadplate were the white pyramids like LPs. :)

GroundUp -- I'd like to know your source for the white and black pyramid mats.
My '68 literature also shows the pyramid-like mats for the front, but in black.
White was a really odd color for those running board inserts -- stayed clean
for how long????

rgentry said:
GroundUp -- I'd like to know your source for the white and black pyramid mats.
My '68 literature also shows the pyramid-like mats for the front, but in black.
White was a really odd color for those running board inserts -- stayed clean
for how long????

The main company I was planning on getting a sample from was www.restorationspecialties.com refer to page 68 of their catalog. I think I also have a couple of other places filed away that may of had the stuff also but they were overseas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom