Rubbing Driver's side rear wheel - Bearing? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1999 LX470 w/~205k

Hey there, I had a noise start developing around the driver's side rear wheel when I turn right (not when I go straight nor turning left). Sounds like a whirring/ metal rubbing sound, so I assumed that the bearing was going out; mechanic said the same. I recently pulled the rear stub axles (both left and right) and brought them to a machine stop to replace the bearings and all. After slapping them back in, the sound is still there. Ugh.

Any thoughts on what else could be happening?

1999 LX470 w/~205k

Hey there, I had a noise start developing around the driver's side rear wheel when I turn right (not when I go straight nor turning left). Sounds like a whirring/ metal rubbing sound, so I assumed that the bearing was going out; mechanic said the same. I recently pulled the rear stub axles (both left and right) and brought them to a machine stop to replace the bearings and all. After slapping them back in, the sound is still there. Ugh.

Any thoughts on what else could be happening?
Provide sound is actually at rear wheel. Likely edge of brake rotor drum rubbing on brake dust shield. Turns, flex components of axle including taking up any radial axle bearing play. If gap between rotors drum and dust shield very small, as they are. That turning flex, closes gap, resulting in rub.

Before pulling axle and after, radial & lateral runout should have/be checked. If these within spec and no gear lube passing axle bearing seal (found in speed senor port). Bearings are consider good 9 out of 10 times..

If lateral (in an out) runout okay. We see a other issues, that can cause rub sound during turns.
1) Gasket of oil defector breaks apart and rattling around inside of drum. These break apart, because wheel lugs over torqued. Not likely your issues, as would have seen and corrected during axle bearing service.
2) Loose or damaged component. Again not like your issues, as just service and sound still present. Unless serviced wrong and or using aftermarket junky parts.
3) "Rub" Back of rotors drum, rubbing brake dust shield. Very likely, since reoccurred.

Most shops including dealerships, miss the rub. I've heard Dealership that did find, put rotor on bench lathe. To remove a bit of metal off back edge of rotors drum. I had one come to me from Lexus Dealership, that replaced tons of parts. They never curing sound of rub.

I've a supper easy test and cure. You and your mechanic will freak, wasn't try first. Remove rotor, and with a 2lb or 5lb hammer, and a ~1/2" wide flat chisel. Pound brake dust shield back away from rotors drum rub. Often if you look close at brake dust shield, you'll find the rub mark(s). Rub points need bent back away rotor contact points.

If lucky, it's your issue:
Cost $0 parts, time 30 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom