RTH! Rear axle stuck! WTF? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

surfpig

The Anti-Tech
Threads
Hi kids,

Doing a reseal/bearings on the rear axle (locked) and the RH side axle is stuck about an inch from the hub. And now I can't pull it out,, either! It hangs up about 2 inches from the hub. Can't turn it, can't do nuthin. Have I screwed the pooch here? I've read bunches of threads about this here, could the locker mechanism have slipped out of place or something jamming it up? Can I pull the locker actuator and move whatever out of the way, or am I stuck removing the third? I'd appreciate some advice here.

Thanks!

:cheers:

Try sticking a long broom handle thru and smack it out? Or put some really long screws thru the flange to push it out?

Try sticking a long broom handle thru and smack it out? Or put some really long screws thru the flange to push it out?
Well it looks like this from the driver's side (from another thread):
Photo 05-18-2012-16_45_35.jpg

I won't mess anything up yanking at it with a slide hammer?

Factory lockers?

If you do heavy wheeling I've read that the splines on the rear locker axle shaft can get twisted, making it very hard, if not impossible to remove them. Here's a thread on how to modified the splines so this problem doesn't happen.
The Landtank Axle Shaft Project

Last edited:
And you need to get it out in order to pull the third

Assuming factory lockers, did you lock it before you pulled it out?

Also, don't use a broom handle (obviously) - get a long piece of 5/16 or 1/4 steel rod or something like that and slide it past the crosspin in the 3rd and then go to hammertown if necessary.

If you do heavy wheeling I've read that the splines on the rear locker axle shaft can get twisted, making it very hard, if not impossible to remove them. Here's a thread on how to modified the splines so this problem doesn't happen.
The Landtank Axle Shaft Project

It came out just fine. When I pushed it back in, it stopped an inch or so from the hub so I tried adjusting it by a spline or two and finally it got stuck. I can pull it out maybe two inches then it gets hung up. It won't turn or anything.

And you need to get it out in order to pull the third

Assuming factory lockers, did you lock it before you pulled it out?

Factory lockers, engaged before disassembly. Could something have fallen out of line or something?

Quote from Serfpig "It came out just fine. When I pushed it back in, it stopped an inch or so from the hub so I tried adjusting it by a spline or two and finally it got stuck. I can pull it out maybe two inches then it gets hung up".
Sorry Surfpig, i misunderstood your post, i though you were having problems getting it out. Anyway, once you get it out again, look over the splines, more then likely they have a nick on them, or maybe just have some grit on them keeping the shaft from sliding in all the way.

More details of how it started binding... does it wiggle back and forth a little? Completely stuck? Can you hammer it back in? etc.

It wiggles in & out maybe 2-3 inches. It does a hard stop 1" from the hub. Pulling out It has a strong spring feeling, like a giant spring is in there pulling at it, if that makes any sense...

Will I hurt anything by wailing at with a slide hammer?

It wiggles in & out maybe 2-3 inches. It does a hard stop 1" from the hub. Pulling out It has a strong spring feeling, like a giant spring is in there pulling at it, if that makes any sense...

Will I hurt anything by wailing at with a slide hammer?
Wait... ok. So you got it out once and now it just doesnt like to go in again? My money is on the dog collar binding on it. You need to rotate it a little bit before pushing in the final 1". It may take completely rotating almost all 360 degrees and re attempting the process. You can try rotating the pinion or the opposite axle shaft in the process. Youre probably safe to hammer it out but i wouldnt hammer it in. Light taps sure but no bfh

Almost sounds like it didn't actually lock and it dropped the collar mechanism. No way I'd hammer on it.

Splines looked ok when out?

OK, I finally got it. I ended up un-locking the locker and re-activating it. Then it tapped right in.

Almost sounds like it didn't actually lock and it dropped the collar mechanism. No way I'd hammer on it.

Splines looked ok when out?

OK, I finally got it. I ended up un-locking the locker and re-activating it. Then it tapped right in.
Must have been what happened. I don't know.

A beer helped me regain some perspective.

Now to source some parking brake bits. One of them was a total ground up mess. Oh, and a couple of discs/drums, due to the total mess.

:doh:

Liked @nukegoat post since I wasn't there with you doing the work - the rear locker has a broad engagement vs the way the FR locker works.

From memory, the RR dog collar had 5 or 6 teeth - 5 being my "bet" - but at any count it's a slower engagement out back/RR, than the FR locker design.

'Likes' are a easy thing, the reason behind isn't- so wanted to explain mine.

If your talking about the spring and hardware for the parking brake i found them in a set from oreilly 17394 25. bucks or order them from Beno or dealer

Liked @nukegoat post since I wasn't there with you doing the work - the rear locker has a broad engagement vs the way the FR locker works.

From memory, the RR dog collar had 5 or 6 teeth - 5 being my "bet" - but at any count it's a slower engagement out back/RR, than the FR locker design.

'Likes' are a easy thing, the reason behind isn't- so wanted to explain mine.
I appreciate that. Unlocking/relocking was my last ditch try before doing more drastic things. And it worked, so I'm happy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom