The Landtank Axle Shaft Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nay

Threads
Rick completed his work on my short side e-locker axle shaft designed to prevent the shaft becoming stuck in the locker collar in the event of a shaft twist.

I've finally had a chance to get started on this project in terms of install. Here's a pic of the spline removal. Testing to follow this summer, not that I really want to twist a rear shaft to prove the concept :D
Landtank Axle.jpg

coooool. I'm so gonna do that. Got dimensions? Or do I buy the shaft from 'tank?

This is all Rick...all I did was mail him the axle...

Rick completed his work on my short side e-locker axle shaft designed to prevent the shaft becoming stuck in the locker collar in the event of a shaft twist.

Hey Nay, I'm curious, how did you know this was a problem in the first place? Symptoms? Abnormal wear?

Hey Nay, I'm curious, how did you know this was a problem in the first place? Symptoms? Abnormal wear?

I have never twisted a rear axle shaft. But many have, and with the e-locker collar, you may not be able to get it out due to the misalignment of the splines. This forces you to cut into the axle housing, etc.

Landtank had this problem and came up with this idea after also twisting chromoly shafts and ending up with a worse extraction than the stockers.

Given that cutting open your axle housing isn't a terribly viable trail repair and that I don't want to spend a bunch of coin on a different rear locker that doesn't have the collar, I was pretty interested in Landtank's solution and offered to test a prototype.

Last edited:
I’ve never had the pleasure of working an e-lock set up so was a little confused. Makes sense now. Seems a clever preventative fix.

I’ve never had the pleasure of working an e-lock set up so was a little confused. Makes sense now. Seems a clever preventative fix.

It's just the design of the rear locker, the front doesn't have this potential issue. That's why some people have replaced their rear e-lockers with either a ARB or Aussie and then gone with chromoly axles.

If this works, you save a great deal of money and the factory selectable locker in the process.

:cool:

Very Nice Idea

It's just the design of the rear locker, the front doesn't have this potential issue. That's why some people have replaced their rear e-lockers with either a ARB or Aussie and then gone with chromoly axles.

If this works, you save a great deal of money and the factory selectable locker in the process.

Yep, my 80 wasnt locked so unfortunately I am familiar with the cost of ARBs. This little issue makes me feel a little better, but it looks like you got it figured out. Do you have any integrity concerns with the modified axles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom