Rpms fluctuate up and down quickly at idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm new to the land cruiser world. I've stumbled across this forum and am loving it.... I have a 97 FZJ80 with factory lockers. Truck has 212k miles. I recently got an issue with a fluctuating high idle. (Between 1500-2200ish) I decided to drive the truck as it was hoping something would clear up. It didn't. When I got back home I had a steady high idle of about 3k. I've loosened the throttle cable and cruise control cable so there's some slack. Sprayed carb and choke cleaner looking for a vacuum leak, removed and cleaned the iac plunger. Inspected throttle plate to make sure it was closing all the way..... I still have the issue.... few days passed and truck again had the fluctuating idle. I unplugged the iac and idle still fluctuated. I've read all sorts of posts with a similar issues. Some people have looked into coolant temp sensors, 02 sensors etc... I haven't quite found the solution. One last thing. The day the truck first acted up I had removed the driver side kick panel looking for the moon roof drain. I found a line which I thought was for the moon roof. I blew are into it. Turned out to be for the rear window washer. Anyways, an hour prior to running compressed air through that line, I drove the truck with no issues. Also, haven't touched the tps yet. I'm picking up a service manual tonight too. Have you guys had a similar issue and found the problem??? Thanks for your help.

Currently no codes. I've only Had a code while troubleshooting when I unplugged the tps while running.

disconnect battery reset ecu,you may also have a stuck injector does the exhaust smell rich?

disconnect battery reset ecu,you may also have a stuck injector does the exhaust smell rich?
I did catch wind of the exhaust on a cold startup. It did smell rich. I didn't smell after the engine warmed. You think checking temp readings on the exhaust manifold will pin point a faulty injector? Also, I have dis-connected the battery for 15 min at point point too.

I'll keep digging. Thanks fellas.
you have a nice birds nest of lines right underneath the upper intake,if you live in a state where you don't need a sniff test get rid of them.
when i took all mine off i found several that were brittle and cracked,some were so brittle that they would no longer keep a seal around the tube they were connected to.

Is the a/c or defrost button on? Something to check depending on the length of fluctuation. And it’s a free fix haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom