Builds Roy's 1998 FZJ105R Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm new here please be gentle :) I just bought my first LC last week, have wanted one since I was a kid. It's a 1998 FZJ105R GXL, 4.5L automatic.
I'm going to slowly build the 105 into a tourer/overlander, thought I'd start a thread to show you the progress and get some advice when I need it.
Mods by previous owner:
- 2.5" Pedders lift
- Pedders steering damper
- Extractors and sports exhaust
- 35" Muddies (cheapies, super noisy)
- Toyota alloy front bar
- Kaymar spare wheel carrier on stock bumper
- SAAS bucket seats in front
- Double DIN touch screen head unit
- Reverse camera
My plans:
- Custom steel barwork all round
- 4" stainless steel snorkel
- Sunraysia steel rims
- Roof platform
- Side awning
- Roof top tent
- Rear drawers
- Plenty of light
- Respray with bedliner
Looking at options to turbo the 1fzfe down the track or maybe swap to ls2 but that'll be a year or more away. Chop to single cab tray back is something I'd love to do one day too but it's a while off.
Any advice? Things I should check before I throw any money at it? I have checked it over pretty closely and my mechanic said it looks all good.
Oh and it's done 350,000 kms (220,000 miles)
Cheers, Roy

20180615_130209.jpg

Welcome. It might be helpful for you to start a thread in the 80 series section as well. They know that 1FZ like the back of their hand and I believe the 105 shares more components with 80 series.

It looks great and enjoy it!

So the new wheels are on now, 16x8 black sunraysias from King Wheels, -55 offset. Got the old tyres swapped across. There is a bit of scrubbing just before full lock but I'll trim back some plastic and we'll get around it I think. I'm going to need flares for roadworthy but I don't have to worry about that until November unless I get pulled up before then.. I have a set of Bushranger Flexi Flares if I get stuck but I'd prefer to wait until I can afford a set of Kut Snake ABS ones.

Hopefully some more parts coming today :)

20180622_141722.jpg

Welcome. It might be helpful for you to start a thread in the 80 series section as well. They know that 1FZ like the back of their hand and I believe the 105 shares more components with 80 series.

It looks great and enjoy it!
Thanks for that tip, I'll have a dig around on the 80 forums if I get stuck with any 1FZ issues :)

Ahhh it might be stock, but these are virgin 105 eyes...
That's true this is the first Toyota I've owned actually, my first car was a '65 Ford Falcon wagon and then I had a Land Rover Discovery 1 and two Ford Ranger T6s since, plus a couple of Japanese tipper trucks along the way :)

Gave it a bit of a flex up on Saturday, genuinely surprised by the travel with only 2.5" lift :O

20180630_115122.jpg

So last night I spent a bit of time with a few cans of degreaser and a garden hose, trying to get rid of a heap of oily mess in the engine bay so I can work out if there are any oil leaks. It doesn't seem to be using oil but when I bought it there was a lot of oil on the sides of the block, bell housing and all over the undercarriage. Anyway, at some point I twisted over the silencer on the air intake pipe and found a big hole in the bottom of it where the plastic had perished and just fallen apart, hell knows what the poor 1fz has been sucking in through there! Or for how long it's been feeding on unfiltered air! Does anyone know if there are any negative side effects to getting rid of this thing? I'll be putting in a stainless intake pipe when my snorkel comes next month but for now I've just plugged this hole with a capped pipe clamped in the opening.

20180702_175301.jpg

Both bumpers and side steps removed, getting ready for body lift. I have a 2 inch kit and steering shaft extender ready to go in, can't seem to find a good write up with photos on what needs to be done with cutting firewall and moving radiator so will take lots of photos. Some of my body mounts were pretty shot so I have ordered a full new set of OEM rubber bushes.
20180711_075858.jpg

Oh, and I plastidipped the grill :)
20180711_080457.jpg

Going to build a tow hitch into my new bumper up nice and high for a better departure angle, maybe cut some chassis back too

Finally have all the parts ready for the body lift, 2" blocks, steering shaft extender and all new body mount bushes. Decided to swap out the bushes while I had them out. Hopefully I'll get all this in this week. Next up, rear drawers and fridge slide, roof rack, new bars, winch and lights...
20180714_115053[2].jpg

Thats a beauty 105! If you aren’t already a member, have a look at LCOOL. It’s a great resource for you as well.

Last edited:
Nope, definitely not quite as good, but if you are shopping for local parts etc, it’s a whole lot more local than 99% of us on here!

A bit of time has passed, time for an update. Diff oils have now been changed for fully synthetic. The body lift is almost done, I swapped out the body mount bushes at the same time, it was a little more work but when I saw the state of the bushes I was pulling out I was glad to be replacing them. I've got the steering shaft extension on the end of the shaft, trying to work out how to get it fed back into the uni joint. Radiator relocation looks easy enough but I think I'll have to drain it and get it out of the way to refit the mounts, been wanting to put new fluid in anyway so I'm not too worried. I also fitted some new headlights, really loving how they look :) I picked up a steel ARB bumper on the weekend for $700 it was too tempting over against fully custom building one from scratch. I came off a 100 series IFS so I'll play with the mounts to accommodate my chassis and body lift, it's white so I'll get it powder coated too... starting to look like the truck I'm after.
20180729_093114.jpg

20180729_093137.jpg

Finally got the body lift temporarily sorted, I need to have the 105 on the road next week so finished it in a hurry. Just need to adjust the shifter linkage as it needs an extra push to lock into Park to get the key out now. I had to cut the hole through the firewall a bit bigger, the seal around it was shot and I have a spare one so I intend to clean that up in the future. It's really rough at the moment... There is a home made seal on the inside (not on in this photo) from the previous owner that will do the job until I get around to properly cutting and rewelding the seal to centre it on the shaft.
20180731_221706.jpg

The radiator relocation was pretty easy, I only dropped it 1.5 inch because the transmission cooler lines were stopping it from going any lower and I wasn't going to move them. so the fan is half an inch low in the shroud, I may still need to trim the shroud. I pulled the lower brackets and welded in some stainless flat, not real proud of the welds I couldn't find my mask so just stacked dimes blind haha. I didn't use the brackets I made for the top, just drilled a new hole and ground off a captive nut that was in the way...
20180801_205622.jpg

Time to get cracking on mounting my winch in this bar and getting it on the car, decided today that the body lift will now give me enough room to fit a winch above my tow hitch in the back so I've just ordered another little lump of electronic goodness for that :):)
20180801_000127.jpg

20180802_151910.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom