Builds Roma's 78 fj40 gets a refurb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No tech but excited that the hot weather has abaited enough to start camping again.
20161015_210851.jpg
IMG956794.jpg

racked up a little over 600 miles last weekend heading up to my favorite camp spot. camped in the exact same spot exactly one year and a week ago.

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

e4.jpg

spring is in the air cool how in this pic you can see the lower elevations starting to turn green.
e5.jpg

I can see why you like it, great spot!! I hope to be out exploring in mine again soon as well.

Love the old split rim fire ring you've got there... I'm assuming that's what it's for at least. =)

yep this spot is at a designated campground so the ring was provided. I actually ended up flipping it out of the way about halfway through the evening because it seemed to be in the way of putting the bigger bits on the fire.

Since camping season is officially over for the deep south and the heat is getting unbearable already I made this hoist system over the weekend to take off my tent for the summer. It uses a 1200lb hand winch and 5 pulleys. Makes the job a one man ordeal. Im actually going to go ahead and pull the top off the 40 and come fall put it back together with a new roof cap gasket and new rear header rubbers. I haven't had the top off this thing since 2012 so looking forward to some open air driving.

hoist.jpg
hoist1.jpg

Drove it up to Windrock in Oak Ridge Tennessee Friday night to crash the 70 series meet and greet. Not a pleasant drive with the top off on the interstate in the dark. Wheeled most of the day Saturday and drove back home Sunday. Had a good time getting it a little dirty. I sure do love that cable locker in the rear axle.

IMG_5572.JPG
IMG_0454-2.jpg
IMG_5644.JPG
IMG_5638.JPG
20170923_143824.jpg

Looking excellent, running BFG KO2’s in 33”?

Looking excellent, running BFG KO2’s in 33”?

These are actually the ko tires but are in need of replacement. I had to mount the spare up on top of cinnamon pass. I think this time around I'm going to go with the km2's

Great meeting you Roma! Thanks for leading some of the trails!

You as well Nathan. Now I know your 60 looks as good in person as it does in the photos.

Thanks Roma, that means a lot! I'm sure I will be referencing your work as I anticipate a 1hz into the truck as well!

HZ would be bad ass in your 60. I'm pretty sure that georg actually makes the mounts to put those in a 60.

He is! I am also curious...the OEM frame mounts are still available from Toyota for 7x/8x trucks, curious if they would work.

frames will be different widths on those. I really like the HZ. Tuckers truck did pretty well and it will be even a better fit in the 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom