Builds Roma's 78 fj40 gets a refurb

Visit site
Yep I'll be there Tuesday
Cool. Will you be getting to Phoenix at all? During the week I am in Phoenix for work then on weekends I am up in Prescott area where I have my 40’s. I am also a Mtn biker as well. Would be great to meet up, I would love to pick your brain about my ‘76 that I inherited from my brother Bill. I will send you. PM with my number. Tom

Visit site
Probably jumping the gun posting these since it's still in Japan and will probably be another 6 months to a year before it's in the truck but the ole 40 is getting a repower in the form of a 4.1 liter 16 valve direct injected factory turbo 15bft from Toyota's version of a Humvee. I was planning on installing my rebuilt 12ht in it but decided I didn't want to swap the frame or try to move the mounts and crossmember to accommodate the 12ht being that the frame is galvanized. This seemed like a better route being a direct replacement for the 3b. Plans are to rebuild my tcase since I didn't do that when I installed it 8 years ago. I still need to get a flywheel for it and going to do some preventative maintenance items as well of course. I have to give @SteveJackson a plug for helping with shipping this thing and @bottombracket for pushing me along to take this plunge. This engine is from a Megacruiser and has the correct oil pan/sump to accommodate a front driveshaft unlike most 15bft's that were in buses and Dyna trucks. The seller was also able to provide me with an a.c. bracket and compressor so I should be able to install a.c. in the 40 at the same time.
I'm not super versed on this engine yet but I'm pretty confident the extra bump in power should be sufficient in pushing the 40 along more comfortably up grades at modern hwy speeds which is what this truck has always lacked.

IMG-20200928-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200928-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20200928-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20200928-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20200928-WA0002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom