Builds Roma's 78 fj40 gets a refurb

Disassembly

As I begin my build I return to yours and a few others time and time again for guidance. Thanks for sharing. As I read through yours again I will have some questions. Hopefully you will have time and the patience to keep me headed in the right direction. How did the the powdercoating cost compare to your other paint options? Was there an discernible difference in the color resulting from the powder coating being done at different times?

Current state of the frame.

Have to finish removing the pass shock tower and installing matching ford tower.
Rear spring hangers are rotten and PO did a number on the rear cross member. I have a replacement rear frame section I picked up from classic cruisers. As soon as those two things are done off to the blaster. Still trying to decide weather to galvanize powder coat or both. If I galvanize and don't powder coat I would still want a black finish so maybe paint? I can get galvanizing done for $50 for 100lbs so I'm thinking 150 bucks. Thoughts on this? I personally don't believe warping is an issue.

Why the ford
Current state of the frame.

Have to finish removing the pass shock tower and installing matching ford tower.
Rear spring hangers are rotten and PO did a number on the rear cross member. I have a replacement rear frame section I picked up from classic cruisers. As soon as those two things are done off to the blaster. Still trying to decide weather to galvanize powder coat or both. If I galvanize and don't powder coat I would still want a black finish so maybe paint? I can get galvanizing done for $50 for 100lbs so I'm thinking 150 bucks. Thoughts on this? I personally don't believe warping is an issue.

Why the Ford Shock Tower?

@roma042987 just wondering what roof rack you are using to support the RTT? Thanks Tom
It’s on there with four quick n easy gutter towers and aluminum cross bars. Towers are from etrailer and the bars I got local.

Why the ford

Why the Ford Shock Tower?
For the 60 power steering. Powder and blasting was about 3k

samc2447

SILVER Star
It was great meeting you Roma and seeing your truck in person. Thanks for leading the trail runs. We're already looking forward to next year, hopefully we'll see you there again.

It was great meeting you Roma and seeing your truck in person. Thanks for leading the trail runs. We're already looking forward to next year, hopefully we'll see you there again.
You as well Steve I recognize your screen name now. I didn't put the two together while we were out there. Hope replacing that condenser isn't too much trouble

Haven't updated this thread in quiet a while. A career change and a newborn tends to put things on hold for a while. When I was out in Colorado with the 40 in August of 18 it developed a bit of a miss under load. It made it back home to Alabama just fine but I parked it and didn't touch it for a year and half. So, a couple of weeks ago I charged up the batteries and replaced a couple of tires and pulled it into the garage. I was pretty sure the miss was caused by an injector issue so I started by doing a compression test. The compression check showed all the cylinders to be between 410 and 385 psi which is well within spec. I proceeded to pull the injectors and took them to the local injection shop here in Huntsville. Later that afternoon I got a phone call and was told that three were really bad and the 4th was so so. Rebuilding would be 60 to 75 bucks with new Denso nozzles. I told them to go ahead and order the parts. It took two weeks to get everything but I picked up the injectors Friday night and reinstalled them. A quick bleed at the lines and she fired right up purring smoother than ever. I took it for a quick spin around the block and the miss is gone. My only regret is not having the injectors checked when I replaced the cylinder head gasket and had the head serviced three years ago which has only been about 6k miles or so.

20200117_181723.jpg
20200117_181716.jpg
20200117_181733.jpg
20200117_182210.jpg
20200117_185833.jpg

Top Bottom