RIP - David Smith (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rest Well David.

He was one of the first club members I met when moving back to NC. Just 4 of us at a breakfast meet in Saxapahaw. I was really looking forward to talking to him again and hearing some stories from a fellow vet of a different era.

David was a 'wheeler and an OG Land Cruiser guy long before many of us even knew what a Land Cruiser was...probably before a lot of us were even born. As I understand it, he took a long hiatus from 'wheeling until just a few years ago when he bought and restored his black FJ40. Getting back in a 'cruiser and connecting with ONSC allowed him to re-live some of the glory days of his younger years. I fully believe David thought of ONSC as "his people" and he cherished our time together. I don't know of any other club member who was as in love with their 'cruiser as he was. David bore the weight of some serious family obligations, but I believe that he, like most of us, found inner peace and a sense of accomplishment by wrenching on and improving his 'cruiser. I know that he just recently installed an ARB locker in his truck and he was looking forward to getting out on the trails this year. David loved his family dearly and always spoke well of them. He was super proud of his grand kids and brought them to several of our events. He will be missed. Happy Trails, David...until we meet again...

Back in October I tried to set up a morning meeting in Saxapahaw. We hadn’t done one in a while, so I figured it was a good time to have one. Only a handful of people posted to the thread, David among them. I figured we might not have the best turnout given the lack of response. Still, cruiserheads are cruiserheads and we can generally talk all day even if there are only two of us. I took my daughter Abbie since Laurel had her hands full with a hungry, fussy five-month-old. David was there bright and early with his 40. After kicking tires for a minute or two, David asked Abbie if she wanted to sit in the truck. Abbie, having never been in an FJ40, quickly said “yes.” David being David, then asked if she wanted to “honk the horn.” Abbie didn’t respond, instead she reached to the steering wheel and gave the horn button a hefty push. For those not in the know, years ago, David outfitted his FJ40 with a MUCH louder (semi-truck ?) horn. Honk went the horn. Abbie jumped, I jumped, David jumped, and I think everyone in the parking lot jumped too. Then he asked Abbie if she wanted to do it again. So, she did.

Thank you for the friendship, the stories, and the memories. You’ll be missed my friend. God speed.

CRR_2018_20.jpg

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to meet him once while helping a friend buy his old canvas top. Such a nice guy.
I told him I was missing a linkage piece for my transfer and he tore his shed apart trying to find one for me even though he had never met me.
Although I do not know them, my heart goes out to his family.

My heart goes out to his family as well. He always had a cheerful laugh, and a good story to share.

Hopefully he is in a better place now.

Very sad to hear this. Rest In Peace and my heart goes out to his family.

Well this sucks. Good man. Always enjoyed talking with him. A true enthusiast. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

Prayers out to his family... I was looking forward to meeting him in person at Relic this year too. My cousin saw the post on IG and called me after seeing it. He had David go check out a 40 for him in NC and from what my cousin was telling me is they got to chatting a bit and he was bummed to see the news.

I was so looking forward to inspecting his black 40 this year at Relic Run. He may not have known who I was but I knew him. @forrest5000 got hit with that horn a few years back and I was hoping to put on plugs and muffs if I was fortunate enough to inspect the rig. Horn David. Honk the horn please.

Rest in peace brother, you have earned it.

I'm still trying to come to grips with this. my prayers go out to his family, as well as his friends on here, that we all can find some peace.

Godspeed David

Of the few I have met within the group, David is one of them. He needed some rollbar pads and we met in Lowe’s parking lot in Salisbury. He brought with him his old green RUSTED tailgate, as he replaced his with a new one and the trade was set. The tailgate is in two pieces now and as time allows,I will repair the tailgate and be thinking of David as I do. Our time is short so enjoy all you can. Peace be with you David.
Shane

Thank you for letting us know. Shocked and saddened to read this. Any meet I have been to, David has always been there with a warm smile. My heart goes out to his family.

The last 4 years in November at our dealership, the local DAV puts on a car show. Our owner goes all out with donating Boston butts, hiring a band, and making this a fun event. Big smokers start pulling in on Friday evening and volunteers cook through the night. They feed all present and then sale any leftover butts for only $20. We had a great band this year and over 150 entries that paid a $15 entry fee; so it’s a big fundraiser for the DAV.

I must admit, I don’t really look forward to all the cars we have to move out of the way and then move back when over. Along with tables and chairs that we set up then takedown. And I know I won’t sell any cars because with so many people, you can’t even get a car out for people to test drive. So I go to work acting like I’m going to a “cars and coffee” and just want to see all the different vehicles that are entered. This year was different.

Registration starts at 7:00 but I don’t go in until 9:00. I grab a cup of coffee and start checking out the entries. As I’m looking at all these beautiful cars, I see something I’ve never seen at our car show; an FJ40. I cannot tell you how happy I was to see Dave had showed up with a big smile and all decked out in his Vietnam hat, vest, and his FJ 40 standing tall. It was such a surprise for both of us and I think he was happy to see a familiar face too. Thinking about it now, as tears roll down my cheeks, I don’t know if Dave was prouder being there as a veteran or showing off his beautiful 40.

As usual, at the end of the show, trophies are given for best in show, dealers choice, etc etc. I walked up and stood by Dave to see if his 40 was chosen for any award. They gave a lot of trophies but Dave didn’t win anything. The last thing they give away is 20 people’s choice trophies. You could see Dave just hoping he would win but it was not looking good. I’m not sure if it was #19 or 20 that he heard his entry number called, but it was finally called. I wish everyone could have seen that moment one proud veteran walked up to get his trophy. I now feel so lucky to have this memory and so proud to call Dave my friend.

RIP Dave and thank you for your service!

Thanks for posting that Kenny. I am having a hard time with Dave's passing. He seems to really have touched most in the club in the same manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom