RIP CSC#007, Kevin Patterson AKA Tools R Us (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heard from a cruiser friend a couple months ago that Kevin had passed and I wasn't sure if we were talking about the same Kevin. Guess we were. Bummer.

Kevin helped me out with my old 80 series a handful of times back about 12 years ago when I relocated to Mesa for the summer. Was dealing with some overheating issues and he volunteered to help me out. Great dude and I am sure he is missed by many.

RIP Kevin.

-Ferg

Last edited:
Just got the new Toyota Trails Magazine, very nice story about Kevin, Sue, Kevin's 40, and it's new owner.

3rd annual KP run

Hello everyone!

It’s that time of year again and while we’re all asking where the time went, I figured it best to get you some information on this year’s Kevin Patterson memorial run.

We’re going to meet at Cottonwood Camp (Google calls this Stewart’s Camp) at 10am on Saturday, November 27th for some gabbing, power discs, and maybe even some lunch from the chuck wagon (as Rich so affectionately calls his Land Cruiser).

After lunch, we’ll do some wheeling. The run itself is yet to be decided; Kevin was always accommodating to those who showed up and our plan is to do the same, basing it off of how many and who would like to go playing in the desert with us.

November 27th, 10am:

For those of you who never had the privilege of knowing him, Kevin Patterson was a central figure in Tonto Recreation Alliance from 2010 until the time of his passing in 2019. During his tenure as president of Copperstate Cruisers, he organized cleanups of the Cottonwood Camp area yearly with the club as well as taking TRAL folks out there during the annual Four Peaks Cleanup every year. It’s often difficult to put into words his devotion to helping others and his inspiring work within the OHV community.

I hope to see you all there!

Richard

yes, I am in :cheers:

Beautiful day and a nice turnout. RIP my friend. We miss you.

20211127_110604.jpg

20211127_104829.jpg

Just got the new Toyota Trails Magazine, very nice story about Kevin, Sue, Kevin's 40, and it's new owner.
Currently cleaned out and axles removed on a long waiting list for 4 inch springs. Sitting under my Georgia leanto as I await lumber prices to go back down yet again.
Plenty of new and used parts in the shop to install.
:beer:

Hello everyone!

My apologies for such a last minute email, it’s been a busy fall but we have a game plan settled for this year’s run. In true Tools R Us fashion, we’re going wheeling this Saturday!

This will be our fourth year doing this; a little exploration in the desert and some BS’ing to remember the late Kevin Patterson. For those of you who were privileged to know him, it’s hard to put into words how special he was to all of us and the impact he left on our lives. If you never had the chance of knowing him, he would have encouraged anyone who wanted to participate to come along and spend some time chatting, telling stories, and enjoy the great outdoors together.

We’re going to meet up at Baja at 9am, caravan our way over to Needle Rock to air down, then run up Camp Creek wash to play around a little. Here’s a link to the Baja gas station:

Ba'ja Gas Station @9am

For those of you who would like to meet us at Needle Rock, we should get there around 10am, location below:

Needle Rock Recreation

So come on out, bring some lunch, and share some stories with us!

Richard

Hello everyone!

My apologies for such a last minute email, it’s been a busy fall but we have a game plan settled for this year’s run. In true Tools R Us fashion, we’re going wheeling this Saturday!

This will be our fourth year doing this; a little exploration in the desert and some BS’ing to remember the late Kevin Patterson. For those of you who were privileged to know him, it’s hard to put into words how special he was to all of us and the impact he left on our lives. If you never had the chance of knowing him, he would have encouraged anyone who wanted to participate to come along and spend some time chatting, telling stories, and enjoy the great outdoors together.

We’re going to meet up at Baja at 9am, caravan our way over to Needle Rock to air down, then run up Camp Creek wash to play around a little. Here’s a link to the Baja gas station:

Ba'ja Gas Station @9am

For those of you who would like to meet us at Needle Rock, we should get there around 10am, location below:

Needle Rock Recreation

So come on out, bring some lunch, and share some stories with us!

Richard
Are you allowing 3FE (God tier engine) owners to join this cruise? I wouldn't want to maker lessor men ( @Somebodyelse5, He will need to do a headgasket on the trail. ) feel bad for coming along.

Are you allowing 3FE (God tier engine) owners to join this cruise? I wouldn't want to maker lessor men ( @Somebodyelse5, He will need to do a headgasket on the trail. ) feel bad for coming along.
You could bring a lifted Ford Pinto if you like, there's no vehicular requirements.

(Although that level of tech might intimidate a 3fe owner...)

unfortunately, someone forgot to watch out for the truck(s) behind them as the group turned onto asphalt and motored on to the lunch spot

after it became clear that the group had lost several trucks on the tail end, I went back to where 388 meets the road to search for and make contact with the lost group, but I couldn't find anybody and also didn't get any signals back on the CB

I apologize I wasn't successful finding you guys; I was just as frustrated about that as the tail-end-group was about being left behind

Last edited:
between the Chevron Ba'ja gas station and Needle Rock State park, around 20 trucks showed up - after introductions and airing down, we drove up Camp Creek Wash to the turn-off onto 388

FR388 runs in a wash with nice desert vegetation all the way up to Bartlett Dam Road, where we hit asphalt just before lunch - but the spots Richard had in mind for lunch were taken, so he looked for and found an open area off of Horseshoe Dam Road - so, lunch was held there, while search parties went out . . . (see above)

and since the weather was so nice, and people generally having a good time, it was decided that to get back to Camp Creek Wash we would take another trail slightly more to the east of 388 - and since this trail runs on a ridge, it required driving up a steep climb, which was washed out with lots of loose rocks left in the deepened ruts - meaning trucks without lockers or lower ground clearance might have problems . . .

which required winch action in three cases, and then fantastic views from the ridge were the reward for all of us - eventually, that trail also descended into a -less commonly used- wash, where Michael and I had brushed the most offending branches and bushes the afternoon before - so we all made it back to Camp Creek Wash and Needle Rock before sunset

thanks for all the friends of Kevin participating in this run, and for those who might not have known him, I can assure you he would have enjoyed this outing, too - nevermind he would have cracked a few smartass comments as well :lol:

Speaking of Kevin Patterson’s comments: I ran what Kevin called ”1 ton of sh!t in a 1/2-Ton bag” on the trail yesterday :)

Hello everyone,

My sincerest apologies for what is a very last minute email. Although, I guess in the spirit of Kevin Patterson, this is still more than enough notice!

From the first time I talked with Kevin, he mentioned wheeling on a trail called 42 and its surrounding area. For those not familiar, the abridged history of this trail is that it’s both historic and scenic, stretching between Bartlett and Horseshoe reservoirs but was closed after a fire in 2005. It has not been open to the public since.

From the moment Kevin began his involvement with the Tonto Recreation Alliance, he lobbied to do something with this area so that it may be enjoyed once more. Today I’m proud to say that we are nearing the home stretch of over a decade’s work. Work that without him simply would not have been possible.

This Saturday, 11/25, we’ll be doing our 5th Kevin Patterson run since his passing in 2019. I cannot think of a better place than to share with a spot so near and dear to him as this. We’ll be driving in FR532 and having a hang at Devil’s Hole. After lunch we will be running a small section of 42 out to Horseshoe Dam Rd.

This area is still technically closed, so I cannot stress enough the importance of responsible recreation. We will meet at Cave Creek Ranger Station kiosk at 9am. Coordinates and link below.

33.8487624, -111.8292338

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out.

Have a safe and happy holiday. I’ll see you Saturday for some wheeling!

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom