Restoring 80 Series Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are the pockets blasted and/or ?lapped then the clear coat, no other paint/color added? Just wondering how the pockets came out looking so perfect?

See post #34

Are the pockets blasted and/or ?lapped then the clear coat, no other paint/color added? Just wondering how the pockets came out looking so perfect?
Pockets blasted, vibrating lap, and powdercoated clear.

I read post 34, just that my eyes couldn't believe how they came out looking so good without another step or two in the process.

They look great.

I read post 34, just that my eyes couldn't believe how they came out looking so good without another step or two in the process.

They look great.
Thank you. Yea, the sandblasting of the inside and pockets was a big part but the vibrating flat lap really worked magic on them.

Got a video of the vibrating flat lap process being done to a wheel??

Last edited:
Got a video of the vibrating flat lap process beimg done to a wheel??
No, I don't. I may get one. It's just a huge flat vibrating lap, they use it for granite blocks. Just vibrates for hours.

Ok, would be interesting to see.
Thanks

Have you tried a set of LX450 wheels with the black insets?
I have an LX450, maybe I'll give it a shot. It can't be that much more difficult. Just different 👍

I have a set in boxes in shop (5). Will you start doing this for other people? I would be interested. You can pm answer if you want. Looks great

I have a set in boxes in shop (5). Will you start doing this for other people? I would be interested. You can pm answer if you want. Looks great
Yes, I'm officially doing them for others now. PM coming. Thank you

Finished the 4th set of wheels. Dialed in. Perfect.

DA70679F-5D7D-42ED-A1DD-EC08C29049CA.jpeg
B4513C75-060D-4960-8C68-76190F58D38D.jpeg
1E3475DC-B8C2-408A-A692-C64EDC0B7E2C.jpeg
EC80502D-46C6-4C25-A4FF-C35358972481.jpeg
CCF79952-33C1-4B3D-A0AD-64217A4B6141.jpeg

BD977F64-BC78-4DA2-90B8-CE5F7F9D5F45.jpeg
7135CCA6-4CEE-4317-8762-4176C3B83B15.jpeg

You are nailing it.

Have you done any of the 93-94 wheels with the steel lug nut inserts?

You are nailing it.

Have you done any of the 93-94 wheels with the steel lug nut inserts?
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately I don't have any of those style wheels. I will have to pull up a picture and get a look at them. I feel confident that I could do it though. I'm going to try an LX 450 wheel this week as well.

I can't find a decent stock photo. Basically there is a conical steel insert pressed into each lug nut bore that has a conical lug nut seat. I wouldn't think it would affect the process, other than not clear-coating the actual inserts?

I can't find a decent stock photo. Basically there is a conical steel insert pressed into each lug nut bore that has a conical lug nut seat. I wouldn't think it would affect the process, other than not clear-coating the actual inserts?
Thank you. I would agree, that shouldn't affect the cutting process. Perhaps some sacrificial bolts to keep the clear off. I'm up to try it if anyone is interested.

@musthave Those wheels look incredible. Wow.

I'm beginning my first set for a customer who shipped me wheels, just received them. He shipped via UPS Ground in Atlanta, $28 per wheel. Super quick. Shipping the wheels by themselves is easier I think. Or on a fastenal pallet to send them here.

If you're interested, PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom