Rertrofit 1978 2F with 1992 3VZE Evap System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently am running a 2F with a Howell Efi conversion in place.

I would like to Incorporate a simple evaporative emmissions system from a 1992 3VZE if possible. (Or a similar basic system)

What do you think ?

Can I simply install a Bimetal Vacuum Switching Valve (BVSV) in a location with coolant and connect the purge line downstream from the throttle plate ?

Would I be best to utilize a BVSV that requires a vacuum source (such as one from an E.G.R. source) to ensure engine is above idle as well as above the optimal temperature ?

Any thoughts or experience with Evap. systems ?

Here is the Evap system that I would like to use as a starting point for components.

Do you have a vacuum advance port on the howell?

If so you can do it with a simple vacuum valve, its a Delco part, Echlin 2-28011, or DEMCV10039 or CRB228005 or similar, there are several varieties. Some of the simple charcoal canisters have this valve built into the top of them. They are all simple vacuum purge valves, only let the big lines pass if the little line gets vacuum to it. I have done this to my 40 with carb, won't let purge in at idle, but once the advancer port on the carb sees vacuum it opens up and lets it purge. So far it has worked good, although at a high rev while offroading I've heard a flutter in the valve itself. I don't think the engine ever really cares if the extra vapor is going in once off idle. I dump purge into my PCV line.

Otherwise what you have proposed would probably work. There should be a hole in the head that may accept the coolant BVSV, if the size is the same. Look at the FJ60 system, it may work in a similar fashion and you could use the thermostat housing from it with the valves already in it.

The Howell uses an electronic ignition signal.

This all sounds very promising I will look into the FJ60 thermostat housing and see what it is all about.

The simple vacuum valve is genius! it could be set up so many different ways on other older vehicles as well :)

Thank you !

Do you have a vacuum advance port on the howell?

If so you can do it with a simple vacuum valve, its a Delco part, Echlin 2-28011, or DEMCV10039 or CRB228005 or similar, there are several varieties. Some of the simple charcoal canisters have this valve built into the top of them. They are all simple vacuum purge valves, only let the big lines pass if the little line gets vacuum to it. I have done this to my 40 with carb, won't let purge in at idle, but once the advancer port on the carb sees vacuum it opens up and lets it purge. So far it has worked good, although at a high rev while offroading I've heard a flutter in the valve itself. I don't think the engine ever really cares if the extra vapor is going in once off idle. I dump purge into my PCV line.

Otherwise what you have proposed would probably work. There should be a hole in the head that may accept the coolant BVSV, if the size is the same. Look at the FJ60 system, it may work in a similar fashion and you could use the thermostat housing from it with the valves already in it.
Howdy............I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking to get the charcoal can functioning on my '74 FJ40 (F engine). I don't have a working VCV, so this vacuum valve seems like a no-brainer. I'm going to order the Echlin 228011 and just want to be sure I hook up correctly. Currently the vacuum advance for my distributor is connected to the ported vacuum port at the base of my Aisan carb. This is the only ported vacuum I have so can I just tee into that line to make the connection to the small port on the Echlin valve? Also, did you just tee into the PCV line to dump the purge? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
That should work.

Although your ported vacuum may not be for "vacuum advance" if that is the original carb for your 74. The ported vac on those carbs was for vacuum retard on the original distributor. They will provide a vacuum signal at the wrong time if you are running a true vacuum advance distributor. The port will however work fine for evap purge.

I have a simple BVSV arrangement on my 3fe as shown in the OP. It vents to a port on the TB before the throttle plate so it doesn't mess with the idle. It only sucks on the canister when warmed up and off idle. Too much unmetered air may interfere with your idle. Also make sure you have the little check valve by the vapor collection canister by the fuel tank. The carb trucks require a VSV, I can't remember why. Maybe something to do with fuel vapor in the intake from the float bowl?

That should work.

Although your ported vacuum may not be for "vacuum advance" if that is the original carb for your 74. The ported vac on those carbs was for vacuum retard on the original distributor. They will provide a vacuum signal at the wrong time if you are running a true vacuum advance distributor. The port will however work fine for evap purge.
Thanks for the input. After further searching on the forum, I found out that all '69 to '74 Fed-spec carbs have no ported vac fitting, so the port at the base of my factory Aisan carb is for manifold vacuum. To be sure, I took it off and saw that the port is below the butterfly. I had installed an HEI DUI distributor with vacuum advance.......guess I will not be able to hook up the advance unless I have a port drilled in the base. Glad I can still hook up the EVAP purge though.

I have a simple BVSV arrangement on my 3fe as shown in the OP. It vents to a port on the TB before the throttle plate so it doesn't mess with the idle. It only sucks on the canister when warmed up and off idle. Too much unmetered air may interfere with your idle. Also make sure you have the little check valve by the vapor collection canister by the fuel tank. The carb trucks require a VSV, I can't remember why. Maybe something to do with fuel vapor in the intake from the float bowl?
I do have the check valve by the fuel tank. I took it off and put air to it and it seems to work as it should. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom