Replaced Fuel Tank Won't Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a call from the shop were my fuel tank has been replaced. My tank is being replaced with a used tank I got from someone here that is parting out a rig. The only thing I know is the replacement tank came out of a Lexus. The mechanic just called to tell me that the tank is in but truck won't run and told me I need to come in and see what he is talking about. Before I go there to see what he is talking about, is there anything I should know that he may have over looked?

I'd ask how dirty the connections and lines were, but I assume you gave him the tank, so that's something you might already know.

Only two things come to mind: either the pump isn't plugged in, or there's trash in the fuel lines.

Any more details?

Runs but wont drive
Starts then dies
Cranks but wont start
No crank

Have swapped 5-6 tanks and never had an issue. Fj to fzj but never a lexus to my knowledge. I see no reason wiring would be different but cant confirm.

There are 3 lines. Banjo is supply but other two are vent and return. Hooked up right? Have fast actind mud dobbers in your area?

Did you use your old fuel pump and sending unit? If not maybe the FP wire is chaffed if its not the new updated version with sheathing. Regardless of new or old if this wire is chaffed and grounding out it will take out one of the primary fuses. Efi main maybe??? Maybe check all fuses while there.

Definitely look out for those fast acting mud dobbers; they're killers.

The new tank was likely empty, add gas?:flipoff2: Yes, I am immature.:)

Why are you replacing the tank?
Was it running fine before this exercise?
What else is he doing other than swapping tanks?
Which parts of donor tank/system were used vs the old parts?
Is CEL on prior to engaging starter?

Get to the shop and post what the issue is.

If the shop cannot figure this out, then they are questionable.

Possibilities:
Battery not hooked up
Ain't got no gas in it
Did not attached power to fuel pump
Did not attach hoses to fuel pump
Fuel pump in new tank is inop--Swap for old fuel pump
Didn't attach fusible links back to battery
Broke the fusible link jacking with the battery
Incompetence

No Gas.jpg

Seriously, if the shop f'ed up a job an Easter seal could pull off then they have no business being in business. It's the simplest damn job I've done on the cruiser next to replacing headlight bulbs. If it's not running they may have either not plugged the pump in, broke the ground off the pump housing, not put gas in it, not replaced a pulled fuse, burnt the fuse, or they're completely incompetent and really screwed something up. Maybe broke the fusible link when disconnecting the battery.

I just got back from the shop. The 1st and 2nd photo is the before and after shots of what the inside of the tank looked like when it was pulled from the Lexus and cleaned up. The 3rd shot is the sending unit that the mechanic pulled out of the tank of the Lexus. He originally replaced the tank with the sending unit that came with it (the one pulled from the Lexus). After, the mechanic replaced the sending unit with my old one from my tank. He is ordering a new screen for my sending unit thinking it maybe clogged. I'm waiting for the shop to send me a photo of the inside of the tank.

The problem was, my old tank was leaking from the seam and the protector plate had rusted out with one of the tank straps rusted and broke. That is the reason for replacing it.

The problem now is, the mechanic is saying that my LC will not stay running. It is sputtering and stalling and will not stay running.

To answer the question about how much fuel is in it, there is 5 gals. of my old fuel in it. When the mechanic replaces the screen he is going to add 5 gals. of fresh fuel.
IMG_20170927_182334.jpeg

IMG_20170930_124851.jpeg

IMG_7863.jpg

If he used the unit in the 2nd picture he is an idiot and you are S.O.L.

It ain't rocket surgery!

FYI ... fuel filter is under the upper intake

I suspect he may have just thrown the tank in as it was, added gas and stried to start it. Your previously fine fuel filter sucked in a bunch of crap and is now plugged. He then checked the tank, found the swamp in the pictures above and then cleaned it and swapped sending units. Suspect plugged fuel filter under intake manifold.

let me know what happens. i cleaned it up good before i sent it out. i told you i wouldnt trust the pump and to use your old one. have him try swapping in your old pump and it should work just fine. i left about 1 gallon of evaporust in the tank when it was sent out, did he drain it or try to run it??

Man, that sucks. Or not.

Check/replace fuel filter, sock, check and test pump. and now I would suspect there could be some interesting stuff lurking in your fuel lines.

let me know what happens. i cleaned it up good before i sent it out. i told you i wouldnt trust the pump and to use your old one. have him try swapping in your old pump and it should work just fine. i left about 1 gallon of evaporust in the tank when it was sent out, did he drain it or try to run it??

Check your email. I sent you pics of the tank you sent me and they don't look close to what I received. If you have a problem viewing them I'll post them in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom