What's in your fuel tank? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
My wife panicked when she got in my 80 last week and the fuel light was on. So, she did what any responsible, panicked person would do, she drove as fast as she could to the nearest pump and filled the tank with the cheapest gas she could find.

Now, to be clear, I had warned her the fuel was low, but I was trying to run it out, because I wanted to drain and refill the tank. So, after this escapade, I had all the more reason. One fuel tank gasket (90430-12245) and 25.4 gallons of fuel later, my tank is again full and as clean as it gets when you just pull the plug.

I wasn't pleased at what I found. These are the last 6 cups of "fuel" from the tank:

20230908_133659.jpg

Yes, that is gasoline and yes, the funnel had been draining for several minutes when I took this photo. The previous 12 cups didn't look much better, but they did go through the funnel.

I had done this several years ago when I replaced my fuel tank bands, but obviously I need to do this more often. Like yearly, maybe. The gasket is $1.85. Retail. What's left in the tank may be good for an amateur arsonist, but it sure ain't fuel.

Dam that looks nasty.
I just drained my tank recently so I could pull the skid a straighten it out.
The gas looked fine.
Do you get a lot ethanol blend where you live.
I try not to put anything with ethanol in mine.

To be clear, I fill up with ethanol free gas whenever I can, however, there are times when either I'm away from home or, like last week, someone else is driving my truck; I have no control over what goes in then.

Last edited:
Why is that in there if you run your tank down to the fuel light on and then fill up? It looks like lemon-aide! Does it have to do with where you buy fuel and the climate that you live in?
To be clear, I don't always run the tank dry; I just did it this time because I knew I wasn't using what I drained out. I try to fill up when it's empty or nearly, or so.

To answer your question, I have no idea why it's so nasty, but that's exactly why Toyota designed the tank with a sump in it. The last gallon and a half is below the pickup. In areas where the norm is to strain fuel through your sock before it goes in the tank, the sump is where the trash resides.

I planned on doing this as a maintenance activity, because I couldn't remember exactly how long it had been since I did it last. I expected nasty, but not that.

Last edited:
Land Cruisers can run on chicken stock? These things amaze me every day!
Odd, that's exactly what came to mind as I was measuring this out...

Clearly.
That's hateraide.
Made by Jeep.

You might ask the wife if there was a truck filling up the tank at the gas station where she filled up. I've heard but can't verify, that you shouldn't get gas when a truck is there stirring up whatever is in the tank.

How was the engine running with that fuel and did it layer out after letting it sit??

FWIW because my region has very high humidity most of the year I add a bottle of ISOHEET (Red bottle which is mostly Isopropyl alcohol) to just about every tank.

Would have been interesting to send that fuel sample out for testing:

Same reason before flying (small aircraft) pilots check the fuel themselves to see (and remove) if any water has collected in the fuel system while it's been parked.

Aircraft fuel collection cylinder.jpg

sounds like you need a MR. Funnel I have one works awesome!!!

I'm sure the wife would not be thinking "chicken soup for dinner tonight" if she saw that in her pyrex jug :lol:
It's my Pyrex cup; I recycle them when the dishwasher eats the marks away from the outside

How was the engine running with that fuel and did it layer out after letting it sit??

FWIW because my region has very high humidity most of the year I add a bottle of ISOHEET (Red bottle which is mostly Isopropyl alcohol) to just about every tank.

Would have been interesting to send that fuel sample out for testing:

Same reason before flying (small aircraft) pilots check the fuel themselves to see (and remove) if any water has collected in the fuel system while it's been parked.

View attachment 3424124
Oddly, it didn't run badly at all. Around town it's been getting really poor mileage (10-11mpg), but on the highway, even NC highways, which have as many traffic lights as I see in town, it's well above 15mpg.

It may have been in my head, but I thought the engine ran noticeably better with new, clean fuel in the tank. I still have the fuel; I may send it to Blackstone for giggles.

When I lived in Charlotte, there was always someone asking for gas money so they could get home........ beggars can't be choosers on what gas they get for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom