Repainting vintage Snap On tool box (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
I bought a Snap-On 9-drawer KRA58D toolbox new off the truck in 1981, it's a little tired looking but otherwise still works fine. It's really well built, but obviously doesn't have all the cool features we want now like ball-bearing soft close drawers and USB ports. I recently upgraded my garage chest to a much bigger Kobalt 41" T&B box, so I was gonna just get rid of this, maybe put it on craigslist. Then I found out how much this vintage Snap-On stuff sells for, plus I started thinking about how much I've been through with this box, so I think I'm gonna hang on to it.

So it's got a lot of scratches and some paint splatters on it, not sure I can get it back to it's former handsome good looks. Is it worth repainting? Can you still get the paint from Snap On? Not finding much on searches. Or is it better to keep the "patina"?

Box, drawers currently removed for cleaning
IMG_20200712_233745.jpg

I just painted a small tool box apple red as an experiment. Spray can. It turned out much better than I thought.
I would not do one with history like yours, though. Let it be. It'll bring back memories when you look at it! And it would probably bring the value down anyway.
Just my 2c.

I suppose you're right, it does have a nice used look, but not abused. Now I'm trying to think of something creative to use it for, besides tools. Not a good thing for socks and undies. But maybe silverware, cutlery, and kitchen gadgets? Spices?

Living as a bachelor has it's advantages...

I would not do one with history like yours, though. Let it be. It'll bring back memories when you look at it! And it would probably bring the value down anyway.
Just my 2c.

+1

^^+2 Keep it! Great backstory and looks awesome!

No no no!

Don't repaint it. It doesn't look that bad in the photo, and probably looks good from 10 feet away.

You'll ruin the patina immediately, and your results will probably make it look like a new Harbour Freight box.

If it had been in a fire, and lost all its paint, sure. Not in this case. It is a tool box.

I cleaned up mine using only WD-40, you can do the same, and maybe use a paint cleaner to try to lift some of the other paint off.

Yours isn’t even broke in yet. I’ve had this since ....1980?View attachment 2414321

Very cool! Same exact box! Yours is in a little rougher condition than mine. Do you still have the keys and little blade thingys to remove the drawers? I still have mine.

No no no!

Don't repaint it. It doesn't look that bad in the photo, and probably looks good from 10 feet away.

I went through it, cleaned it up with some Simple Green, then a quick polish with some Meguiars Cleaner/Wax. Looks better now. But I still can't figure out what to do with it, so it sits empty in my basement.

IMG_20200713_220059.jpg

I don't get it. How is it possible to not have more tools than toolbox space...? :)

Very cool! Same exact box! Yours is in a little rougher condition than mine. Do you still have the keys and little blade thingys to remove the drawers? I still have mine.

I went through it, cleaned it up with some Simple Green, then a quick polish with some Meguiars Cleaner/Wax. Looks better now. But I still can't figure out what to do with it, so it sits empty in my basement.

View attachment 2414352

That old girl would look good on or beside my gunsmithing bench. That would be my use for her.

I have the circa 1990 version. I agree with everyone else, leave it as is. Mine has mostly overflow SAE wrenches that I don't use very much. Old pic as we've moved, a couple of times.

21EECC7B-B76B-42CE-A98B-FC9D399F8C8B.jpeg

I have the circa 1990 version. I agree with everyone else, leave it as is. Mine has mostly overflow SAE wrenches that I don't use very much. Old pic as we've moved, a couple of times.

View attachment 2420547

Wow. I detest messy garages and woodshops, but I don't think I'd be able to work in there. Very nice!

I have a couple of those Dell docking stations, very convenient. Working on one right now.

Wow. I detest messy garages and woodshops, but I don't think I'd be able to work in there. Very nice!

I have a couple of those Dell docking stations, very convenient. Working on one right now.

It got plenty messy but between the floors and a big Stihl blower it was pretty easy to keep clean. Retirement home we just bought has a 40 x 40 heated and cooled shop. I'm not retiring for another couple of years but I'm already making plans for how to finish out the interior. I've already discovered the bad thing about a 40 x 40 is I'm already wishing it was 40 x 60.......or 80. LOL

It got plenty messy but between the floors and a big Stihl blower it was pretty easy to keep clean. Retirement home we just bought has a 40 x 40 heated and cooled shop. I'm not retiring for another couple of years but I'm already making plans for how to finish out the interior. I've already discovered the bad thing about a 40 x 40 is I'm already wishing it was 40 x 60.......or 80. LOL

I'm officially retiring from my current gig in May after the Spring semester. I find myself in a situation of too much house but not enough garage/shop. Will be fixing that eventually.

I'm officially retiring from my current gig in May after the Spring semester. I find myself in a situation of too much house but not enough garage/shop. Will be fixing that eventually.

Congratulations. I don't know about you but I am definitely ready. I'm back in the desert doing my day job but 5 months of "working from home" after being stuck in the US was confirmation for me that I will be plenty busy during "retirement".

I bought a similar top snap-on box back in 86 time-frame. I've left mine alone and will likely continue that practice. I bought a friends top/bottom box (snap-on) thats a few years older than 86, and same approach. I cleaned them up a little and emptied the drawers and wiped out the 30+ years of stuff and that was about it. Then loaded them back up with tools and continue to add things here and there until I run out of room.

Use the tool box....don't park it in the corner...

Man, I almost feel bad now. I was given a kra56a (looks like those above, but different drawer setup), but for my needs and space, the way the top/front hinge and open was not very convenient for me so I sold it. In my defense, the guy that came and got it was super happy, and said he'd been looking for one for a while as his dad had had one. @KLF just clean it up and use it for something fun.

View attachment 2414352
Well, it definitely takes up too much room in the basement. I think you should put it out on the curb, then send me your address ;)

Well, it definitely takes up too much room in the basement. I think you should put it out on the curb, then send me your address ;)

LOL... not 5 minutes ago I went down to the basement to get something, and there it is still sitting there empty. Said to myself "I really need to find something to put in that thing". I thought about nuts and bolts, but I already have them all organized in wall bins and tackle box trays.

Socks and undies?
Kitchen gadgets and cutlery?

Hmm.... :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom