Removing Crank Pulley on a old 1f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes , I know the belts are too skinny for the wp and crank but they fit the mini-truck ps pump pulley perfectly!

I wonder if the pulley from an FJ60 PS pump would fit the mini PS pump. Doesn't it use the wider belt?

Hmmm... I don't know, but I can sure measure the output shaft diameter of the mini-truck pump tonight and post that info. Anyone know the diameter of the FJ60 pulley? Also the mini-truck pulley uses a woodruff key to secure it. They shaft is not tapered.

I wonder if the pulley from an FJ60 PS pump would fit the mini PS pump. Doesn't it use the wider belt?
Yes, they are interchangeable. 18mm keyed shaft w/ retaining nut.

The other pulley that almost fits the mini pump is the air pump pulley that is cast iron, roughly 1975-1978. It is cast iron, a little smaller diameter than the Cruiser PS pulley (for more pump speed at idle) and has an 17mm keyed hub. Take it to a machine shop, have them open it to 18mm and it will go right on. The pulley keyway is deep enough that it will still clear the woodruff key.

Here's a pic of mini PS pump on fabbed bracket in the air pump mount w/ an air pump tensioner arm and the cast iron air pump pulley.

UMi06AB5G7yjGYzy182i+Gyu8hWALOBN0280.jpg

Last edited:
Jim, are there different mini-truck pump shaft diameters? I just measured mine,( 3 times ;) ) and it is .715" (18.161mm). The pulley diameter is 5.715" (145.161mm) outer edge to outer edge.

Jim, are there different mini-truck pump shaft diameters? I just measured mine,( 3 times ;) ) and it is .715" (18.161mm). The pulley diameter is 5.715" (145.161mm) outer edge to outer edge.
I have only used/measured the 79-83 20/22R, 84-87 22R, 84-87 22RE and 79-87 2F pumps. All shafts are .709"/18.0mm.

Are you confident in the accuracy of the HarborFreight caliper?:hmm:

Brown and Sharp Calipers, not your typical Harbor Freight junk. They are old but pretty accurate. I'll see if I can find something to measure that has an known value laying around.

Currently trying to get the spider gears back in my rear diff... :D

I am looking for the best option for a loose 1f crank pulley. It seems taping the crank and grinding of the hand crank fitting for a bolt on may be the best option. Does anyone have insight.

Thanks

Yes, tapping for a bolt is the fix for this problem on a GMC or Chevy of similar vintage.

Perhaps a later 1F pulley for use w/ crank nut would be easier than machining off the claws? With the added bonus of a less worn press fit.

Did you read Jim's post? you can get by with that pulley. No need to remove anything, call 65swb45 (mark's offroad) and get the machined aluminum pulley he sell that bolts to the early pulley/balancer you posted a pic of)

It simply adds another groove to your setup. then you can run another belt.

here is what Jim's talking about...
View attachment 225200

@65swb45 , are you still offering this bolt-on pulley?

@cruiserbrett bought his when I was selling them on EBay...in 2003. Haven’t offered it for almost 8 years now.

Copy, I bought one or two from you as well but it could have easily been that long ago. Any suggested source for those? I have a local customer with a 1965 trying to do a JTO mini-truck power-steering kit and needs some way to drive a pump :D

Copy, I bought one or two from you as well but it could have easily been that long ago. Any suggested source for those? I have a local customer with a 1965 trying to do a JTO mini-truck power-steering kit and needs some way to drive a pump :D

I am not familiar with the JTO setup. Regardless, if you require a two groove press on balancer, I have one from a ‘68.

I am not familiar with the JTO setup. Regardless, if you require a two groove press on balancer, I have one from a ‘68.

Ping me with a price if you would, thanks!

Ping me with a price if you would, thanks!

I will call the shop tomorrow. I left a VM this morning. Might want to update your outgoing message. ;)

I will call the shop tomorrow. I left a VM this morning. Might want to update your outgoing message. ;)

Uh oh, are we still on the Christmas message? :D

Edit: Bryce is just getting a jump on Christmas 2019 (we'll fix that)

Revising this thread to see if there is a answer to the original question, Removing Crank Pulley on a old 1F.

Im trying to remove a press on pulley on a 1F, i have had a puller on it tight for a few weeks, PB blaster, wooden wedges. Still won't budge

Should i try some heat or is there another solution. Any help would be great.

I don’t think you want to use heat. You’ll run the risk of melting/burning the rubber part of the harmonic balancer. Mine came off after a few cycles of tightening the puller, then loosening it. You have to break the initial “rust seal” then it should start moving. It’s tough to remove that’s for sure.

Are you pulling from the lip, or the threaded holes inside the balancer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom