Reman front brake calipers....help me out please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess I'm not 'Searching' worth a damn. Still got 'brain fog' from Covid I'm trying to get over.

What are the best re-manufactured front brake calipers these days for my '97 80 series?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or links to the subject. Sorry for having to ask for help, feeling really lousy.

Flint.

Hey Flint, I bought the Napa Eclipse calipers maybe three or four years ago but supposedly these are no longer sold. It was my understanding that they were oem reman calipers. This leads me to my suggestion of simply ordering from the dealer or an online discount Toyota parts site. I can only assume that reman parts from Toyota are at least as good if not better than others.

RockAuto has a mixed bag inventory and are very good to deal with as far as online shopping goes.

Last edited:
OEM remans from dealer would be my suggestion as well. But do give a quick look over at the counter. Had one last month with and oring not seated. They ordered me a replacement

I've been using the Napa remains and I'm getting tired of sticking calipers. In the last 100K I've replaced the rears three times and the fronts twice.

I'm going with Toyota on my next set so I can then buy rebuild kits and have them on hand.

I rebuilt mine with a Toyota kit many years ago.

I also rebuilt mine w/Toyota kits F&R. pretty sure they were OEM, but, not 100%
Easy job, really

Yeah, I did my rear calipers a couple of years ago while replacing my rear wheel bearings. Not difficult. Just not feeling well enough (Covid) to tackle the fronts this time. I'm going to be replacing ALL the soft lines as well and haven't decided yet whether or not I want to delete the ABS and LSPV in the rear. Will replace/repack front wheel bearings at the same time.

Looks like McGeorge might have them on sale for $146.00. If so...then its a done deal. Just go with new OEM (or maybe they are remans)? Either way....good enough.

Just ordered OEM....$366.00 shipped to my door.

McGeorge had on sale. 👍

Thanks for all the replies...guys.

Flint.

Now just have to decide If I want (and can understand how to) delete my ABS and LSPV.

Just ordered OEM....$366.00 shipped to my door.

McGeorge had on sale. 👍

Thanks for all the replies...guys.

Flint.

Now just have to decide If I want (and can understand how to) delete my ABS and LSPV.
Info on delete it ABS and the LSPV are easy to find here in mud. My question is; what are the facts driving you to lean toward this delete?

I deleted and simultaneously converted to a hydro booster and have had no regrets.

Info on delete it ABS and the LSPV are easy to find here in mud. My question is; what are the facts driving you to lean toward this delete?

I deleted and simultaneously converted to a hydro booster and have had no regrets.

Pretty sure I have air trapped in the ABS and I have my Land Cruiser loaded in the back ALWAYS such that the LSPV is always open anyway.

So I am looking to simplify and hopefully gain a little better braking. I am retired, my LC stays mostly on the ranch with occasional jaunts into town. So far... I haven't killed a bus full or Nuns (or ever caused an accident in 53 yrs of driving).

So I pray 'Dave' from Spain doesn't find this post and weigh in. I have such a headache from reading posts on the delete just now.
The thread could have been 8 pages shorter if not for his unsolicited rants. Sheeesh.

It took a couple quarts of brake fluid to get all the air out of my 96 model (using a cheapo one-man bleeder bottle) but after all that it stops on a dime and gives me nine cents change. That's with ABS and LSPV still functioning, using 100 series (Toyota) front pads, Toyota rebuilt front calipers, and DBA rotors (all installed ~90,000 miles ago). At some point it got a new master cylinder but still has the original Booster.

Maybe I got lucky but IME that 80 has very good braking with everything intact.

FWIW

@BILT4ME I rebuilt my original OEM calipers on my ‘97. Pistons were clean and free of any pitting so I thought why not risk my life to my meager skill set. So far, it stops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom