Builds Rediscovering an '87 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of the main projects I wanted to tackle while the dizzy was being recurved was replacing my non-working OEM radio with something more functional. All I need is something that gets NPR and works with Bluetooth. I'm not interested though in using an FM modulator... Technology has come way too far to regress so hard. I debated for a long time on going with one of the "classic car" styled radios for restorations or the continental radio which would fit pretty well with the 80's aesthetic. In the end, I went with a normal single DIN with a built-in amp. I got a Sony b/c you know, they're Japanese and all that. But mainly, I got the same radio that @coultl used and designed his 3D printed mounting bracket around.

As mentioned, this radio has a built-in amp, which is great because I won't need to add a separate one in the future. It's bad though because it ended up creating yet another rabbit hole of money and work for me. You see, the built-in amp needs a dedicated power wire run from the battery. But, my battery terminals were all kinds of messed up so that means new terminals. New terminals mean I might as well go ahead and upgrade all my positive and ground wires. And of course, a radio pumping out 50w/channel RMS is gonna fry the 30 year old stock speakers REAL quick, so I gotta get new speakers.

So, before I can wire the radio, I gotta wire the truck... I'll start by saying anyone considering upgrading their battery cables should stop reading and buy the @Forerunner battery cables. It would have been cheaper and a TON easier than making my own. But, I like making battery cables for some reason and have the needed tool to do it (hydraulic crimper). And when it comes to 12v DC power systems, I'm a huge fan of marine-grade hardware.

So I bought a bunch of marine wire, terminals, and heat shrink from Ancor and a few fuse blocks and fuses from Blue Sea Marine. Here's what you get after spending money over-engineering battery cables:

PXL_20210201_234854366.MP.jpg

I'll list the part numbers and lengths and everything below, but keep in mind a lot of this is specific to how I set up my system. For wire size, I opted to go with 1 AWG wire for the starter, body ground, starter ground, and main ground running under the A/C compressor to the engine mount. I used 4 AWG for the ground from the engine block to the body. This is way overkill, but I figured why not.. I think the 4 AWG Mr. T used is totally fine. After all, the ampacity of Ancor 4 AWG wire is like 160 amps or something like that.

I also opted to fuse the power wire to the starter. It's crazy to me that Toyota (or any automaker) would run a 4 AWG unfused wire through an engine compartment directly to a battery. I used one of Blue Sea's terminal fuse blocks with a big fuse here. I couldn't find clear info on how much current the starter draws, but think I read somewhere it's like 80 amps. I also have the fusable link on this terminal, so I figured 125 amps would be plenty. And, it was... Until I forgot to put the truck in neutral when I started it. That blew the fuse immediately. I've got it fixed temporarily now while I wait on a new 175 amp fuse in the mail.

I also added a terminal fuse block for blade fuses which I'll run the power wire (10 AWG) to the radio from. This is also where I connected the headlight relays in my post above.

One tip for anyone making their own cables... Measure the diameter of the bolts you need cable lugs for and do not go off of the lugs/terminals from the old wires. I ordered all my Ancor tinned copper lugs ($$$) based on the diameter of the old wire terminals only to find out they were almost all oversized. I ended up replacing a lot of them with 5/16" (I'd ordered 3/8").

I use a hack saw to cut through heavy cables and have always felt that works fine. When crimping lugs on heavy cable, be sure to use the right tool for the job. Yes, that means you gotta spend $50 on ebay for the hydraulic crimper. The hammer type just dont work, and soldering doesnt compare. A properly crimped termination fuses the lug and wire..

PXL_20210214_182149900.MP.jpg

In the end, I ended up spending ~$180 and ended up with some nice new cables and marine-grade battery terminals. With tinned wire, crimped lugs, and adhesive lined heat-shrink these things will last a long time. They could probably stay submerged in a bilge for 20 years and be fine, so they'll work well enough in a cruiser.

PXL_20210214_184320896.MP.jpg

Here's the battery, terminals, and wires all finally installed. Of course, if you're putting all this effort into new wiring, there is no way you can deny a stainless tray to go along with it.. So, yeah, ordered and installed one of those as well.

PXL_20210311_211105982.MP.jpg

The other side of fixing up the wiring is of course ensuring proper grounds. Overall, I'm surprised that Toyota didn't engineer the ground locations on this truck better. Every ground location I've seen is painted over, with the only electrical path going from the wire terminal through the bolt head and then through the thread surface itself. I'm not sure how common this is, but the surface under the wire terminal should be bare metal. Further, on a 30+ year old truck, every ground location I've come across had both a corroded/rusty bolt head and threads, so what minimal surface area existed was now in especially bad shape. I would not be surprised if many/most of the electrical gremlins we experience are simply the result of bad grounds.

I cleaned these up as much as I could by sanding the surface bare and wire brushing internal threads with a barrel brush for a 9MM.

PXL_20210124_225158675.MP.jpg

PXL_20210124_225741265.MP.jpg

Finally, I got the receiver installed. I ran the power wire through the firewall grommet under the windshield washer reservoir and the ground wire was connected to a factory ground location on the passenger side of the dash (also cleaned up).

PXL_20210124_190926170.MP.jpg

And as mentioned, I also replaced the door speakers with Polk DB 522s using speaker rings from @TheNeek which worked perfectly. The difference between old and new is pretty substantial, but I must say, I'm impressed Toyota went the extra mile to put a rubber shield on the top of the speaker to prevent water and debris from getting in there. I haven't seen this in a factory speaker before

PXL_20210210_233706810.jpg

And of course, being me, I just couldn't let 33 year old wire carry a 50w RMS signal so I of course replace all the speaker wire as well. This meant building new harnesses to go in the doors with weatherpack connectors in the factory locations just in case I ever need to take the doors off. Again, I used Ancor 14 AWG duplex wire here.

When I pulled the factory wires out I thought the grommets + electrical tape between the door and body must have been some janky PO wiring everyone finds. I was pretty shocked to learn that's Toyota's method of sealing the wiring loom. In the future, I'd like to add better wire harness boots similar to @NCFJ's post here

PXL_20210207_223529163.jpg

And then, finally, the wiring (for this part of the truck) was done.

PartQuantityPart #Notes
Ancor 1 AWG Wire - Red6'VariesBatt > Starter
Ancor 1 AWG Wire - Black5'VariesStarter > Ground, Batt > Body Ground, Batt > Engine Ground
Ancor 4 AWG Wire - Black2'VariesEngine > Body Ground
Ancor 10 AWG Wire - Red8'VariesFor radio power
Ancor 10 AWG Wire - Black4'VariesFor radio ground
Ancor 14 AWG Duplex wire15'Varies
Ancor 1 AWG lugs x 5/16" 5252275Count what you need
Ancor 1 AWG Lugs x 1/2"1252277
Ancor 4 AWG Lugs x 3/8"1252256
Ancor 4 AWG Lugs x 5/16"1252255
Ancor Adhesive lined heat shrink tubing - 3/4"20"306124
Ancor battery terminals1260322Includes pos & neg
Blue Sea terminal fuse block15191
Blue Sea 175 amp fuse15186
Ancor lug/terminal boot2260381To cover/protect starter terminal
Speaker adapter rings2N/Afrom @TheNeek
Radio installation bracket1N/APrinted using files designed and provided by @coultl
Stainless battery tray1129from stainlesstrays.com
Ancor Adhesive lined heat shrink crimp connectors10309125For connecting the radio harness to factory and speaker wiring
Ancor Adhesive lined heat shrink step down connectors2320103These step the 10 awg power and ground wire down to the wiring harness size
Factory wiring harness straps15A14284from clipsandfasteners.com

Did you find the blue cable routing snap part numbers somewhere for the inner fender or did you reuse the ones you had?

This is top notch. Really enjoy the transformation of each subsystem in each post.

Yep, those are found here. Part Number A14284 "Honda and Toyota Cable Strap 110mm Length" from clipsandfastners.com They seem identical to the factory ones I replaced. I don't believe OEM ones exist anymore.

The final project while I waited on my dizzy was to rebuild my carb. Not a whole lot to write about here, Just watch PinHead0001's videos on youtube and keep the 2F manual open. Honestly, you really only need the manual to verify tolerances when putting things back together, the videos are 95% of what you need. Do be sure to take pictures EVERY time you remove a screw, clip, or whatever to aid in reassembly.

I used a Keyster kit supplied by CruiserTeq and an OEM Plunger. I did soak everything in Chem Dip which worked great and painted the cast iron throttle body to prevent future rust. I really wanted to send all the zinc-plated parts off to be replated but resisted the urge when I realized how much wouldn't be able to be included (like the vacuum modulators). Instead, I just soaked them and rubbed any corrosion off with a scotchbrite.

I did of course succumb to the urge to buy a new insulator and vacuum "filter". I also replaced the air cleaner mounting stud which was bent on my carb.

PXL_20210221_184456222.MP.jpg

PXL_20210301_185403860.MP.jpg

The last piece of the puzzle was cleaning up my vacuum lines and getting my VSV for dizzy vent mounted somewhere. @mattressking had a great solution where he found a perfect bracket on an '80s tercel, but unfortunately, we don't have any pick n' pulls around. I opted to make one myself using the existing VCV bracket from my air cleaner and some 16 GA steel.

PXL_20210303_184908762.MP.jpg

PXL_20210311_211415608.jpg

PartQuantityPart #Notes
Carb plunger12135361020
Replacement air cleaner stud for carb19011606018
Carb rebuild kit1CARB61171from Cruiser Teq
Carb insulator12191261035
VCV19092503192I didn't buy new VCVs but this is the part number if you want to
VCV bracket bolt19165140814
"Gas filter" for intake19091711027

And finally, after waiting a long time (2 months), @FJ40Jim notified me that my dizzy was ready. Though it was a lot longer than I'd hoped to wait, it ended up being a pretty perfect amount of time to accomplish the work described above.

When I sent it off, I really wasn't sure what to expect other than it being recurved. I didn't know if it would be cleaned, rebuilt, or what. For reference here are before and after pics.. These are literally moment before I put it into the box to ship off. I didn't bother doing any cleaning or anything as I figured I'd refresh as needed depending on what Jim did to it.

PXL_20210104_002402816.MP.jpg

PXL_20210104_002434282.MP.jpg

And here it is fresh out of the box from Jim:

PXL_20210302_180604644.jpg

PXL_20210302_180540433.MP.jpg

Needless to say, I was VERY pleased. It's clearly been totally disassembled, blasted, cleaned, and the vacuum advancer has been painted (yes, that's the same one). Another 100% satisfied customer here.

After doing all this work under the hood and getting everything all spiffed up, I just couldn't bring myself to reinstall that janky flying saucer of an air cleaner. That thing belongs on an Oldsmobile, not a Land Cruiser. So, after a bit of looking, I bought a little surprise from a guy Downunder.

PXL_20201201_061230735.MP.jpg

Yep, a Non-US 2F carb hat and air cleaner assembly. It arrived covered in grease and oil, with paint peeling, so I had it all blasted and powder coated. Also, the intake tube that came with it was literally falling apart and not usable, so I needed to source another. They've been long NLA and I couldn't find an OEM one anywhere. I tried all the usual outlets and even resulted to searching anything Toyota or aftermarket which might work as a replacement. Finally, I found an eBay listing for an air cleaner hose for an "FJ60 Carby" which looked identical and seemed to have similar dimensions. Though the seller wouldn't confirm the part number it was supposed to replace, I took a chance and ordered the part. It turned out great and fits pretty perfectly. I did trim the ends to allow it to fit a little better, but for anyone else looking for a replacement, this is a good option.

I cleaned up the cold air intake tube as best I could, though it will probably need a replacement not far down the road. I think though I can use one off of a US 62?

I was also very excited to see that the assembly I got was the cyclone version with the cyclone insert and detachable dust collector below (not pictured but also sourced new). This will be great as the amount of fine dust here in Bend in the summer is unbelievable. The seller though forgot to include the cyclone insert and had to mail it separately. In what I hope is classic Aussie fashion, it arrived in an empty beer carton for packaging.

PXL_20210224_231611827.MP.jpg

PXL_20210303_213247547.MP.jpg

Soon on my list is fixing my A/C, so I'll need to figure out how to get my A/C hoses routed around the air cleaner. Perhaps I'll need to have some made, or I'll need to figure out if 62 hoses can be used here?

Parts used:

PartQuantityPart #Notes
Air cleaner bottom seal11784168010Same part is the top seal if you aren't using a cyclone insert
Air cleaner element11780168020
Carb hat mount bolts & air cleaner mount bolts59165140814
Cold air intake hose mounting bolt19165140612
Air cleaner dust bucket11770317010
Air intake hose clamps39611110800
Carb hat wing nut19017506003
Airbox wing nut19017508008
Carb hat to carb gasket11784861020

Awesome thread! I am literally doing the exact same thing as you. About to blast and refinish the non us air setup, patiently waiting on JimC for carb and dizzy. I think it will be soon, I mailed them new years eve with the idea it could be 3 months. I think I even bought the same head unit! I did not run a dedicated wire and have not had any issues yet.

Are you going to put a snorkel on there?

I'm not sure... Realistically, I doubt this thing is going through a lot of river crossings after I'm done with it. But, if I could score an OEM snorkel, that would probably be too hard to pass up and would look pretty rad.

Awesome thread! I am literally doing the exact same thing as you. About to blast and refinish the non us air setup, patiently waiting on JimC for carb and dizzy. I think it will be soon, I mailed them new years eve with the idea it could be 3 months. I think I even bought the same head unit! I did not run a dedicated wire and have not had any issues yet.

Thanks! Yeah, I sent my dizzy to him Jan 3, so not too far off from you. And yeah, I totally forgot to list the radio I bought which was a Sony DSX-GS80. I haven't had a chance to really use it but so far it seems good. One issue it seems to have though is that the glossy screen does seem to make it a total PITA to read anything when it's bright out.

I installed the same exact head unit! It was end of summer, I cannot remember what circuit I pulled from but remember questioning that dedicated line. So far it has been fine and LOUD! Now I can hear something other than engine and tire noise! :cool: I haven't had an issue seeing the screen yet, I am sure you know, you can not only change the colors of the back light and lettering, but the brightness too. It does sound really good!

Man great thread and work done. Thank you so much for attaching all your part numbers and the quantity needed. Really nice write up and pics! Keep the info coming!

thank you again

The intake manifold was looking pretty rough and I knew I was likely going to need to get this thing welded so I got it bead blasted clean first. After that, you can clearly see the crack.

View attachment 2603414

It’s interesting that it cracked because I tested the butterfly valve in the exhaust manifold and it was working fine. Anyways, I paid a welder to grind out the crack and weld it closed.

At this time I also replaced all the exhaust insulators holding up my exhaust pipe as only one was still functioning in any capacity. Replacing the middle insulator, on my back under the truck, is definitely the most difficult and frustrating thing I’ve done on this truck so far.

Here’s what all of mine looked like when I took them off:

View attachment 2603416

I got all new Toyota hardware and put everything back together. I drilled out the broken bolt and installed a heli-coil. The rings and springs in my exhaust manifold horns were in good shape, so I only ordered two of each. Each side got one set of new and one set of old and then I covered them all with high temp RTV at the suggestion of another member.

I also took the opportunity to clean up my valve cover and get it looking good.

View attachment 2603417

For the desmog, I installed Jim’s parts and ‘refurbished’ my valve rack to look all nice and new:

View attachment 2603418

I’m at 4,000’ so keeping HAC as well as EVAP and AC Idle up (for when I fix the AC system). While it looks a million times better than it did, I do still need to keep a fair amount of tubes running around.

Also, FYI for anyone keeping HAC: I spend a LONG time looking for the vacuum line T needed to connect the valve only to find out that it was built into the spaghetti monster. I found an OEM replacement so you get to spend the extra $$ and hassle over picking up a Dorman ‘T’ from your local Napa.

View attachment 2603419
Thank you for the tip on the HAC connection. Quick question, where does the larger, bottom vac line on the HAC connect to? Mine is just dangling!
Thanks!

Like every other 60, the headlights that came on my truck were not good... They'd also been replaced with mismatched bulbs at some point. For a visual example, here's what I was working with:

View attachment 2603700

Yes, that's a drywall screw holding the headlight in...

I pulled everything out and ordered new parts for everything except the headlight buckets which were for some reason $$$. I opted to just repaint them. For the headlights, I opted for the tried and true Koito upgrade.. ~$45 from my local dealer (they're $12 from Partsouq but shipping is prohibitive).

View attachment 2604149

There are plenty of threads on the Koito upgrade, and yes, it's as easy as everyone says. However, I didn't see a lot of clear info on how people chose to run their wiring harness. Not that it's difficult to figure out, but I figured I'd add mine. Especially because I made some modifications.

I routed the harness between the lights down in the valence, folding the excess back on itself, and zip tying to some sturdy areas down there:

View attachment 2604153

For the relay and fuse side of the harness, I altered things a bit. First, I wanted to find a place for the relays that would keep them dry. You can easily screw them directly to the fender or body somewhere, but since the hood isn't sealed on the side, any water running down the side will run over the relays themselves. That's probably fine for the short term as it's only 12v and they're fairly sealed, but not gonna last another 30 years. I opted to cut up some 16ga steel into a bracket that holds them off the fender about an inch. I also didn't like that the fuses for the harness don't have any mounting tabs and therefore if one blows whoever fixes it is going to have to trace wires around until they realize there are fuses in the harness itself.

As part of a separate project (more later), I happen to be adding a terminal fuse block to my battery and beefing up a few wires and grounds. So I opted to cut the fuses off the relay and wire the hot wires for each headlight directly to my terminal fuse block. I'm running the headlight ground to the body ground just left of the battery, where the tray support bolts in and the chassis/battery ground is connected.

Here's a rough layout of how I have the wires and relays. I'll add a finished pic later:

View attachment 2604156

And finally, the finished product:

View attachment 2604157

Parts used so far:

PartQuantityPart #Notes
Relay plate mounting bolts (M6 bolts)29165140612
Headlight trim ring28111189117
Headlight trim ring screws68113612571
Headlight adjusting screw48113110031
Headlight adjusting screw grommets490189-05013
Headlight tension spring28112162010
Headlight assembly mounting screws69331116012
Left headlight mounting ring28111390A02
Right headlight mounting ring18115390A02
Koito headlight upgrade kit18111060P70
Ancor 10-12 AWG heat shrink terminals for 5/16" stud (ground wire)3312503from Ancor Marine. This is specifically for setting up how I've done it
Ancor 16-14 AWG heat shrink terminals #8 screw stud (positive wires)3311203from Ancor Marine. This is specifically for setting up how I've done it
Blue Sea terminal fuse block for ST Blade Fuses15023from Blue Sea Systems
is this the "standard" headlight upgrade?

OK, its been awhile since my last update... I haven't done too much to the truck, mainly just enjoying it. The main thing I've addressed in preparation for summer was getting my windows to roll up and down properly. This resulted in fresh new window runs and felts all around. In addition to replacing the rubbers I also removed the regulators, cleaned and greased the pivots, and also cleaned and lubed the springs... Now instead of pulling the run out of the door frame every time I roll down a window, everything is smooth and quiet.

PXL_20210307_182231358.MP.jpg

When it came to the outside felts, I found a lot of confusing information. I want to keep my window chrome (and if anyone has good pieces they are getting rid of, plz let me know), so I spent a long time trying to find the right felts for keeping the chrome. In the end, I don't think there are actually different felts for chrome vs de-chrome. I ordered the following felts:

PartQuantityPart #
Front Left outside felt16821090A02
Front Right outside felt16816090A02
Rear Left outside felt16823090A01
Rear Right outside felt16818090A01

To test my theory, I installed these both with and without the chrome, and in both cases they install fine. If you are not using the chrome, use the plastic clips that come on the felt (with the tang), if you are using the chrome use the old clips (more on this below). Here's a pic of the felts on without chrome:

PXL_20210308_204551379.jpg

They cover the door fine and meet the window perfectly, though there is a bit of a gap between the front and back of the window frame as you can see in the pics. Here you can see how the tang of the clip inserts down into the holes of the door frame:

PXL_20210308_204441397.jpg

Now, on to using the chrome... I didnt take any pics, but these felts work great and fit really well. BUT, unlike others who have posted on this, i do NOT believe you are to use the new clips on this setup. So be very careful removing your old felts and chrome so you dont brake the old clips. I was lucky and mine are in pretty good shape.. I only broke one or two in total. Here is my rational: On the back of the felts there is an indented line that runs its length. This line is covered when the felt is sandwiched against the chrome. But, the new clips that come with the felt have raised bump to fit this indentation. This bump also interferes with the flat chrome when you try to put it on. And further, the new clips don't have enough room to fit both the chrome and the felt.

PXL_20210308_202312808.jpg

The old clips on the other hand are not only flat on the back to accommodate the flat side of the chrome strip, but they have a little tang of their own there which mates with the holes in the chrome strip and clips itself (and the felt) to the chrome.

PXL_20210308_201650717.jpg

Beyond the felts, installation of the window runs was pretty smooth. I took the opportunity to really clean the windows, wipe out the door cavities, and refresh the rear fixed window seals. So, I pulled everything out and that makes getting the new stuff in a bit easier.

Here are all of the parts I used:

PartQuantityPart #Notes
Front Left outside felt16821090A02
Front Right outside felt16816090A02
Rear Left outside felt16823090A01
Rear Right outside felt16818090A01
Front window run (upper)26814190A03
Front window run (sub)26814390K0060 series are NLA, I believe these are from a 70 and they work fine.
Rear window run26814290A01
front & rear inside felt26817090A01Rears are NLA so buy four fronts and cut two down as per @Bullzi noted in his thread here: Builds - Bean! The Adventure Continues (1987 FJ60) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bean-the-adventure-continues-1987-fj60.1243910/post-13764967

Beyond the windows, I've also made a few other quick fixes to improve things:

New euro mirrors:
PXL_20210315_230221630.MP.jpg

New pedal pads:
PXL_20210410_174440578.MP.jpg

Some open/close air vents courtesy of @Smokejumper85
PXL_20210606_201956640.MP.jpg

and a few others:

PartQuantityPart #Notes
Dome Light1812402207008
Euro Mirrors28790390A04
Euro mirror mounting screws49323066020
Euro mirror gaskets2N/Afrom City Racer
Tailgate stays26895069025
Small radiator cap11640154750Depending on year, you could need a different cap. I believe earlier 60's used a larger cap.
Gas pedal pad17811195110
Brake / clutch pedal pad23132136010Same for both

I also fixed my carb fan by reconnecting the dangling wire with some oven wire, a heat shrink terminal, and a weatherpack connector:

PXL_20210221_184354351.MP.jpg

PXL_20210221_191655144.MP.jpg

Next on the schedule is fixing my A/C and some safety improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom