Rubber grommets in door wiring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have someone found these sold separately? Door wiring loom is NLA. Mounting hole 30mm and total width of this grommet is 40mm.

Capture.PNG

There's an alternative, BUT, it requires removing each wire lead from the connectors and loom, and re-wrapping the loom and reinstalling the leads into the connectors by hand. Electric-Life 4301-70-011 does the front doors. As long as the grommets can be saved, I would clean them as best I could, wrap the wire passing through them with a bit of spiral loom and wrap good quality electrical tape over that to seal them. If the grommets are shot, the Electric-Life looms are your only option.

There's an alternative, BUT, it requires removing each wire lead from the connectors and loom, and re-wrapping the loom and reinstalling the leads into the connectors by hand. Electric-Life 4301-70-011 does the front doors. As long as the grommets can be saved, I would clean them as best I could, wrap the wire passing through them with a bit of spiral loom and wrap good quality electrical tape over that to seal them. If the grommets are shot, the Electric-Life looms are your only option.

I just want to run speaker wires with OEM look. So that Electric Life is not really a option. It would look nice though. 5/8" equals 15,8mm. If that is the mounting hole diameter it is way off. Hole in door and A-pillar is 30mm.

I use this in conjunction with a standard grommet. Works well.

Looks like the only solution is to use something like that. It looks nice though not oem. Have to find similar product from my home country.

Last edited:
Some things are better non OEM IMHO. OEM left taped wires exposed between two grommets like pictured above. Not optimum IMHO

I did something similar to NCFJ but with stuff I found at my local hardware store. It's been several years and it is holding up well. Doesn't look OEM though...

1591277842392.png

67371667_2590631194301089_1816766652197371904_n.jpg

67540264_2590631154301093_2705175998810292224_n.jpg

67403519_2590631094301099_519420872193212416_n.jpg
Those look like a good option. Still have the issue of having to redo the loom in the entire door and pull leads from connectors. Really only a daunting task for the driver's door, but still, yeek.

Only way you are not pulling it apart is split loom and or split grommet. Do your deep breathing, sit in Lotus position and repeat after me Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :)

The wires I installed were for speakers in my rear doors so I had to run new wires anyway. I used the stock wires for the front speakers. I figured my truck is so loud anyway that upgrading wires wasn’t worth it.

form the parts diagrams it looks like replacement grommets are split to allow installation over an existing look. However this door grommets dont seem to be available separate from the door wire loom.

67371667_2590631194301089_1816766652197371904_n.jpg

67540264_2590631154301093_2705175998810292224_n.jpg

67403519_2590631094301099_519420872193212416_n.jpg
Based on your builds Stan, I also bought the same accordion rubbers and gommets you had listed.
I am going to use them soon.

Based on your builds Stan, I also bought the same accordion rubbers and gommets you had listed.
I am going to use them soon.
I'm thinking I might just have to say fuggit and do that myself. I regularly have to redo the electrical tape in the door gaps and it's a major PITA to do in that narrow space. Think I'm just gonna have to suck it up and do a more permanent solution once I have speaker and relay power wires run to my doors. Be nice if I can go ahead and repaint my doors before putting them all back together so they can be DONE done.

@NCFJ what dimensions of grommets did you get for them? Figure I'll just add a few to my next McMaster order tomorrow....

Last edited:
I do not have the size of the grommets on hand. I bought the wire loom first, measured the OD and the size of the hole in the body and ordered the grommets with those dimensions.

I'm thinking I might just have to say fuggit and do that myself. I regularly have to redo the electrical tape in the door gaps and it's a major PITA to do in that narrow space. Think I'm just gonna have to suck it up and do a more permanent solution once I have speaker and relay power wires run to my doors. Be nice if I can go ahead and repaint my doors before putting them all back together so they can be DONE done.

@NCFJ what dimensions of grommets did you get for them? Figure I'll just add a few to my next McMaster order tomorrow....

@NCFJ What is the size of those regular grommets you used? Do you have a link for them?

Did either of you ever figure out the grommet dimensions? I'm replacing the speaker wire in my doors and wouldn't mind making this upgrade. When I saw the electrical tape job from Mr. T I thought I was looking at some shoddy PO wiring and def not something OEM.

Did either of you ever figure out the grommet dimensions? I'm replacing the speaker wire in my doors and wouldn't mind making this upgrade. When I saw the electrical tape job from Mr. T I thought I was looking at some shoddy PO wiring and def not something OEM.
I need to double check that they'll actually WORK, but the grommets I have from McMaster are P/N 600K119, which look like they should fit snugly over the ribs of the 5050-10-009 harness boots that @NCFJ linked early in the thread. I went with these grommets in the hopes that I can kind of "customize" how much of the boot/tube is exposed to the elements without having too much (bunching up in the door jam) or too little (stretched when the door is all the way open).

if you give me your micrometer sheet metal hole size spec. in milimeters only

I will have all your OEM< grommetts

sheet meteal hole ID inside dimensions

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom