Red Line- Customers 45LV Resto Mod Build " Pope's rig" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Justin,

I would be interested in the tailgate hinge bracket assembly (2) that you have pictured above. It would save me a ton of time when I get to that section on my LV. I'm sure @KT40 would say "yes" to that as well. The tailgate sill is a universal problem on these LVs.

PM me know if you are interested in making a few more sets of those brackets.

We're trying to get Upper Management to approve the purchase of a ArcPro 4800 or Torchmate-4400 at work (Engineering R&D), but are getting nowhere...

I have the files saved so Depending on what you need, we could burn out the pieces

Justin
Hey Justin,

I would be interested in the tailgate hinge bracket assembly (2) that you have pictured above. It would save me a ton of time when I get to that section on my LV. I'm sure @KT40 would say "yes" to that as well. The tailgate sill is a universal problem on these LVs.

As a rusty, un-restored, LV owner, I would be open to purchasing anything you are open to reproducing for these
vehicles. It would help bring more of these fine vehicles back to life. Let us know if it’s going to happen and I will send funds. I am sure Pete (@xtremeVA ) would agree.

As a rusty, un-restored, LV owner, I would be open to purchasing anything you are open to reproducing for these
vehicles. It would help bring more of these fine vehicles back to life. Let us know if it’s going to happen and I will send funds. I am sure Pete (@xtremeVA ) would agree.

Amen Ken. The rust on these LVs is endless...it's like huge ball of yarn and I just keep pulling on the string.

The table is a Plasma Cam, Ive had it for 9 years, so its getting outdated, But it still does the job for us!
We will be looking into a Torchmate with a water base table next year.
The PC has been great for what we've put it through, I will say that. The last 2 years we have replaced every item, bearings, slides, wiring ETC.
As for software, we use Auto Cad and Solidworks.

Justin

I have run both Torchmate (2 different ones) and Arclight Tables. And I would buy an Arclight Table again in a heart beat. It was super easy to setup and worked out of the box and hasn't blinked at the work we have thrown it. To be fair it was older Torchmate tables, but the Arclight Table just works and I am comfortable leaving it run in the background while the Torchmate I felt I needed to keep an eye on it always.

WOW... great thread!! cant wait to see more.
Hey Justin,

To all that are interested, I am willing to make some of that tail gate hinge pockets. $$ comes into play here so let me figure out how much they would end up being for you!

Justin

We're trying to get Upper Management to approve the purchase of a ArcPro 4800 or Torchmate-4400 at work (Engineering R&D), but are getting nowhere...

Plasma tables are expensive, I can see why...LOL

They make you want to upgrade to a water cutting table, so watch out:)

Justin

I have run both Torchmate (2 different ones) and Arclight Tables. And I would buy an Arclight Table again in a heart beat. It was super easy to setup and worked out of the box and hasn't blinked at the work we have thrown it. To be fair it was older Torchmate tables, but the Arclight Table just works and I am comfortable leaving it run in the background while the Torchmate I felt I needed to keep an eye on it always.

I agree with you from a generation stand point. The new torchmates are way better than the older ones. They are like printers, every year they have a better one...

Justin

I will post up for you guys as soon as I get numbers figured out! I am more than happy to help keep these going. I've had 3 my self and sold all of them like an Idiot.

Justin

LV Tailgate rust repair
Lower pieces are starting to get fitted!

DSC00118.JPG

DSC00109.JPG

DSC00099.JPG

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00046.JPG

There goes a half of a day. Tack welded with low heat and finished with 80-120 grit. Top 2 pics are the left side and the bottom are the right side.

Justin

DSC00183.JPG

DSC00201.JPG

DSC00207.JPG

DSC00211.JPG

Rebuilding the corners now. A very tedious section

DSC00233.JPG

DSC00234.JPG

DSC00240.JPG

DSC00270.JPG

DSC00272.JPG

LV Tailgate rust repair
Speeding things up a bit, the tail gate hinge section is done! Now its time for a front face lift! I had an old outer shell from mike in GJ years ago, took that, measured it against what we think our outer shell measurements are and out came a fresh one!
Outer shell off and exposed inner structure.

Justin

DSC00572.JPG

DSC00583.JPG

DSC00582.JPG

DSC00616.JPG

Spectacular work and attention to detail!

I find it fascinating that when manufactured they figured out how to press one piece of flat steel into these complex shapes without tears and cracks. Just 2 dies and tons of pressure. Once a production run is done the dies are scrapped, recycled or stored. It would be interesting to see a comparison to the energy required to do the original press to a restoration of a single piece like this with the multiple piece assembly and finishing. Another thing that blows my mind, is how many attempts and adjustments did the OEM make before final production model was locked in. Not just for one part, but an entire vehicle. Imagine the process in the days of the graphite pencil drafting and machining days.

Our Power steering conversion, frame side (kit) is done! Fully welded and verified for fitment. We use 4 bolt, 4 turn large input spline, Inverted flare fitting, Red Head steering boxes from monte carlos for small tire power steering conversions.

Justin

View attachment 2525233

View attachment 2525235

View attachment 2525236

View attachment 2525239

Justin, I’m curious, did you have to do anything special to weld that cast mounting plate to the frame? Looks amazing.

I will post up for you guys as soon as I get numbers figured out! I am more than happy to help keep these going. I've had 3 my self and sold all of them like an Idiot.

Justin

Justin I would be interested too. I think this is the last piece I have to finish on my LV. Been so long I have forgotten exactly, but iirc I finished the jamb and have the tailgate left.

Justin, I’m curious, did you have to do anything special to weld that cast mounting plate to the frame? Looks amazing.
We pre heat with a torch some, then weld with the correct settings for a 1/4 wide plate, then I like to put a welding blanket over it to slow the cool down process. I have never heard of any of my previous PS conversion jobs, have any plate issues. Now granted you all must know I use the same plate kit for cruisers with SOA's 37"S mostly (1 42" job ) locked and wheeled hard. A good weld job goes a long way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom