Recommendations for Gear Oil Transfer Pump for Transfer Case and Differentials? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to attempt to change my Transfer Case and Differential Oils. And I have already purchased 7 Liters bottles of Mobile 1 synthetic 75w 90 GL5 gear oil. My new plugs and crush washers from Wit's End are supposed to be here today.

I wanted to know if anyone had a recommendations for gear oil Transfer Pump that will make the job any easier? And other tips?

+1

Exactly what I did.

IMG_20190721_114216.jpg

Genius. And surprisingly simple. Can't wait to try this on my next gear oil change....I knew 10 minutes of morning 'MUD would be more beneficial than the morning news.

It definitely makes filling super easy. I hated struggling with those 1 quart bottles.

Much debate about this but I switched back to dino (Lucas), from synthetic (Amsoil) a few years ago after being exasperated by leaking axle seals (100k+ miles using synthetic diff lube with 4 axle rebuilds over the same period).

The leaking axle seal issues went away after switching back to dino lube. Some OEM and some aftermarket high end differential companies have gone back to recommending dino lube.

One quick read here: https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/files/PDF Files/ecgs-gear-oil-recommendation1.pdf

Much debate about this but I switched back to dino (Lucas), from synthetic (Amsoil) a few years ago after being exasperated by leaking axle seals (100k+ miles using synthetic diff lube with 4 axle rebuilds over the same period).

The leaking axle seal issues went away after switching back to dino lube. Some OEM and some aftermarket high end differential companies have gone back to recommending dino lube.

One quick read here: https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/files/PDF Files/ecgs-gear-oil-recommendation1.pdf

I've been hearing this more and more. The tolerances and heat ranges a diff or xfer case sees are much less than the engine so I'm sure you wouldn't lose any protection due to heat break down of your oil. I'm on axle rebuild #3 in the 80 and #1 in the 100 so maybe its time for a switch. My 80 xfer case also seems to be eating output shaft seals at the rate of 1 every other year.

^ exactly my experience with synthetic in t-case & diffs. Problem solved...with dino. Sometimes analog tech is better than digital tech :)

That is interesting.

The only vehicle I run Dino gear oil in is a 1966 Chevrolet K20 with 57k miles. It has the original Dana 44 and Eaton HO52 axles, Rockwell T221 Tcase and SM 420 transmission. Even with new seals, they all leave gear oil on the garage floor. On the other hand, I run synthetic gear oil in two Jeeps @ +140k/200k miles and my 100 @ +300k miles and none of them leak gear oil with the original seals. I have run at least 100k miles on each vehicle with synthetic gear oil.

With dino gear oil, is the cold (below freezing) transfer case whine better or worse when compared to synthetic?

It doesn't get cold enough where we live to really tell the difference ala t-case noise.

There are three threads in the FAQ stickied in the 100 series forum. Torque for each one is usually in the first post.

@KillerBox Here you go, they are actually not that easy to find:

Differential drain & fill plugs 36 ft-lb
Transfer case drain & fill plugs 27 ft-lb

I am about to attempt to change my Transfer Case and Differential Oils. And I have already purchased 7 Liters bottles of Mobile 1 synthetic 75w 90 GL5 gear oil. My new plugs and crush washers from Wit's End are supposed to be here today.

I wanted to know if anyone had a recommendations for gear oil Transfer Pump that will make the job any easier? And other tips?
I use this.
Amazon product ASIN B000BQW5LK

^^ the pump above fails often. I am on my 3rd, sometimes it wont pump. I think the best is the 1 gallon pressure pump sprayer as stated above. I can see the cleanliness of using it even without using it. Does HF gallon pump do the job? I bought a gallon for my dad and he said the O-ring failed within 2 months of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom