Rebirth of a 1985 FJ60 with 380K miles. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrCWineMan

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tinsheets.com
Okay - so this is not a build thread per say, but more of a list of what I have done to our FJ60 and an open place for you - the esteemed members of ih8MUD to tell me what I missed and what else I need to do! Here is a copy paste off of my website of what I have done so far. Should you want to read the original list please take a look here. As a fun fact, this is not only my first car, but an original to my family (I may have been 4 when this car was new) - here is the bill of sale from when my Pops bought the car (note the mistake calling it an 1986 and 4 cyl)

85 Land Cruiser Bill of Sale.jpg

"The Six Million Dollar Land Cruiser: Better...Stronger...Faster

I know, you're sitting there trying to figure out a) what on earth I did to spend $6M fixing up a 32-year old SUV and b) how stupid must I be to have done so. Let's be realistic, there is no version of math that exists in this universe that can be done to make this be a six million dollar car, but how could we resist a reference to an awesomely entertaining display of 1970s action at its cheesiest. While we didn't spend a ridiculous amount of money, we have spent a better part of the last year rebuilding a 1985 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 that has been in my family since it was purchased new by my father at Beaman Toyota in Nashville, Tennessee for the bargain price of $13,370.69, and was also my first car. Below is a detailed list of what we did to take our sometimes running FJ60 with more than 380,000 miles on the odometer and make it the newest and coolest (at least in my opinion) member of the Tin Sheets Fleet.

1. Suspension: When we took this guy in to figure out what to do, this item was on the top of the list as all of the bushings had rotted out, the springs were shot, the shocks were not shocks any more, and it was basically a bouncy, hard to steer, driving death trap. That is if you could get it to start. So we went and got ourselves a new suspension. We opted for the following:
- Overhaul steering knuckles
- New rotors and pads up front
- New leaf springs
- New bushings
- New Old Man Emu suspension with a 2.5 inch lift!
- New BFG AT KO2 Tires
- New hubs

2. Motor: The original 2F (motor) was given a nice new lease on life. Upon inspection, our manhandled engine needed some work. My favorite line from our initial inspection was "Symptom: ENGINE WON'T START OR CRANK. ADVISE REPAIRS, HAS NASTY ROD KNOCK !!!". So we had more then a few mechanical issues. Here is what we did to fix them:
- Pulled and rebuild to spec the full 2F
- Replace full timing set
- Resize all rods
- Polish and machine crankshaft
- Hang new pistons
- Resurface the block
- Bore and hone block
- Install new cam bearing
- Resurface all valves and machine valve seats
- New water pump on reassembly
- Pulled and replaced the factory 4-speed transmission with a new H55 5-speed transmission
- Removed and resurfaced the flywheel
- Replaced clutch bearing
- Overhauled transfer case assembly
- New exhaust and muffler
- New power steering pump
- Removed air injection system

3. Interior: We may or may not have had a small family of rodents living in the Landcruiser as it was parked in the vineyard for 10 years, which may or may not have contributed to some seat degradation. Additionally, the seat adjustment for the driver's seat was broken, so the back rest wouldn't do anything other then fold all the way back to the rear seat- my dad being the ever practical one, had it welded in place...for him as a 6' 10" driver. I'm tall, but that wasn't going to work for me, much less anyone else. To remedy these issues and make the car actually drivable we again took action.
- Installed new Corbeau Seats and seat heaters (I mean, why not?)
- Installed a dash cover
- Fully detailed the interior

4. Options: At this point we had a very nice, and comfortable Toyota that ran dependably, could (actually!) achieve highway speed, not burn quarts and quarts of oil, achieve better then 10 MPG, and basically be a reliable car again. Since our return from the big trip, we started planning some other adventures and talked about wanting to take some trips in the Land Cruiser, which suddenly got me excited about adding a few more things for our comfort, waistlines, and off-road survivability.
- Installed a decent stereo with Sirius XM- Seriously, what goes better with driving Route 66 than jamming out to the 40s station
- Installed rock sliders- Nothing is worse then falling on a rock and getting stuck
- Installed an ARB bull bar and winch- No deer, no getting stuck
- Hard wired an ARB electrical port to the back for a fridge- Cooking on the road is easy if you have food
- Swaped the old sealed beam headlights for some fancy projection HID light- We can see at night now, thanks to Dapper Lighting
- Installed an iPad Mini- We had an old one, so we figured why go for an expensive car play stereo when we can install an iPad- maps, music, Yelp- no car infotainment system can beat an iPad with the right apps
- Tuffy Consol
- Sound Insulation- I went for good old Dynamat
- FJ62 Mirrors- Have you seen the FJ60 mirrors? Probably not, blink and you'll miss them

So far this covers the work we have done. I have a few little things to do before we hit the road which will hopefully be done in the next couple of weeks as we have a pilot trip to Joshua Tree next month. All that remains is to tint out the windows and get a Tin Sheets Logo applied to the back window, then we are 100% done and ready to hit the road!"

Gotta love it when a plan comes together:clap:

As requested - Photos!

Looks really good. Congrats.
Thanks! SO the real question is whats missing? I know that in the never ending litany of FJ60's there is always something to do. Also on a side note we are holding a naming competition Here

Name the rig - win a prize!

nice!! land cruisers never die.. they just get older :cheers:

@MrCWineMan Awesome rig! It's cool to see these reborn with new equipment and become less of a boat on the road.

Mind if I ask how your corbeau seats are? I'm looking to replace my set and considering options.

@MrCWineMan Awesome rig! It's cool to see these reborn with new equipment and become less of a boat on the road.

Mind if I ask how your corbeau seats are? I'm looking to replace my set and considering options.

Seats are great, but the added height is not amazing if you are 6’5” or above.

Seats are great, but the added height is not amazing if you are 6’5” or above.
Should be fine for me at 6' 2". Thanks for the reply :) How is the legroom/seat adjustment distance?

Should be fine for me at 6' 2". Thanks for the reply :) How is the legroom/seat adjustment distance?
They tend to be a touch closer to the dash, but not really noticeable. They are super comfy, and the heated seat option is slick.

If you see someone waving at you in the Springs, it might be me - perhaps in my gold FJ62. Great story.

Get those wheel center caps powder coated gloss black and and it'll really spiff up the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom