Rear Winch 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree, impressive! Mind if I ask what you mock your drawings up in? I recently have been working with Google Sketchup, just because it is free, though limited.

Thank you, it's all done in Solidworks. Been using SW since '05, but I've never really played around with Sketchup, though I have seen some pretty amazing things drawn up with it.

I don't mean to hi0jack your thread, but I noticed you had a gauge installed in your center console, next to the shifter.
Can you post some pics of this? I like the idea of having a gauge there.
Visibility issues?
Anyways, back to the thread.

2 gauges: Aux Fuel and Onboard Air Pressure
A tight fit but functional. The only issue that I did not think of before I installed them is in this orientation the glass heats up pretty good at night when lit, where as the same type VDO exhaust temp gauge I have on the pillar stays cool.
P1320587.jpg

Shawn,

Did you run both + & - wires to the battery for power?

I had originally grounded mine to the frame near the rear winch but it was a hit and miss. Recently I installed a 38mm2 gauge ground wire straight to the battery; now she runs as advertized.

Land Crusher80

Yep, ran both + and - cables all the way to the secondary battery. It was a lot of cable, and makes for crowded battery terminals (military style terminals are the best solution).

Ran both winches through the same marine switch so they are both powered at the same time which I don't know if I like, but wanted to keep it simple as possible.

That Military 9000 looks like a tough one. I want to see how you went about installing it.
P1320589.jpg
P1320591.jpg

Instead of typing up a description to try and confirm what I think you did, it was easier for me to draw up a model:

WinchCrossmemberASSY1.jpg

WinchCrossmemberASSY2.jpg

WinchCrossmemberASSY3.jpg

That's awesome!!

When do you guys go into production?

Shawn,

Did you run both + & - wires to the battery for power?

I had originally grounded mine to the frame near the rear winch but it was a hit and miss. Recently I installed a 38mm2 gauge ground wire straight to the battery; now she runs as advertized.

Land Crusher80

A chassis ground is fine for winches, but the battery to chassis ground cable has to be upgraded (or added) as the stock short cable is very dinky :doh:

I would like to add a winch to my rear bumper when I fab one. I still need to have a receiver for towing though. Do you guys see any real issue with a winch offset to one side?

A chassis ground is fine for winches, but the battery to chassis ground cable has to be upgraded (or added) as the stock short cable is very dinky :doh:

Than makes sense, I did not think about that.
Well it is too late now.
Going to take some pics here shortly and post them.

LandCrusher80

I would like to add a winch to my rear bumper when I fab one. I still need to have a receiver for towing though. Do you guys see any real issue with a winch offset to one side?

I actually plan on having mine offset and mounted closer to the axle with dual fairleads (one on the mounting plate, the other on the rear x-member) :cool:

Than makes sense, I did not think about that.
Well it is too late now.
Going to take some pics here shortly and post them.

LandCrusher80

Coming from the car audio world, you'd be surprised how many backyard installs I've seen where people use super thick 1/0 Gauge power cable only to smoke their dinky stock ground cables on big systems :eek:

Yep, I've seen lukes bumper and its growing on me. The only thing I don't like is how far the hitch sticks out. When I am pulling a trailer offroad, it seems like the hitch could get hung up more. I was thinking of a centered receiver with an offset winch. Im just not sure how it will fit. I was thinking an 8000k would be fine.

IIRC the installation instructions that came with the Warn specifically warned (no pun intended) against using the chassis as ground. Is it the weak factory ground cable issue? Or are there other reasons maybe?

I actually plan on having mine offset and mounted closer to the axle with dual fairleads (one on the mounting plate, the other on the rear x-member) :cool:

Interesting. I'm curious about this. Why closer to the axle? Any reason for the offset other than to accommodate a hitch?

Last edited:
Here are some pics.
rw2.png
rw1.png
rw3.png

And the rest of them.
rw6.png
rw7.png
rw5.png

IIRC the installation instructions that came with the Warn specifically warned (no pun intended) against using the chassis as ground. Is it the weak factory ground cable issue?

Yes

Warn (and other manufacturers) assume the worst possible scenario (tiny stock ground cables, rusty frames, etc.) and just suggest a direct battery ground for this very reason.

Interesting. I'm curious about this. Why closer to the axle? Any reason for the offset other than to accommodate a hitch?

After eyeballing the space behind the stock x-member, the winch I plan on using won't fit between the pintle holes and the angle brace :doh:

Hacking the brace is a no no since I have Hefty wings and moving the winch closer to the axle will give me more clearance :cool:

It'll also keep the extra weight off the edge of the frame (I'm already a bit heavy back there with dual swings).

Off topic, but is the little carpet square in the hole between the switches a factory piece?

I assumed it was OE, but I guess I don't know. The little piece fits perfectly and colors match. I picked the truck up used in 09 with 42k on the clock, very clean and totally stock.

I once saw a write up on a Land Rover that had a winch mounted that could be used front or back. He did some interesting things with it, such as 'walking the line' by attaching it to a point behind and in front of him.

Anyone ever consider trying this with a rear mounted winch?

Spent some more time taking measurements and refining my model.

I finished out the model for the rear frame/crossmember. I included the body mounts and all existing holes that were relevant. I've also modeled parts of the body that are critical (shown in GREEN).

I still have quite a bit of work to do, but once I'm done with it, I'll be sharing all of the part drawings/DXFs so that anyone on here can have this parts fabricated (if they want to).
I think the biggest contribution will be the drawing for the rear frame/crossmember section. That will help out anyone who is building a rear bumper on their own!

Anyway, here's some pics:

RearBumperASSY1A.jpg

RearBumperASSY1B.jpg

RearBumperASSY1C.jpg

RearBumperASSY1D.jpg

RearBumperASSY1E.jpg

RearBumperASSY1F.jpg

RearBumperASSY1G.jpg

i also put my winch close to the rear end to offset weight a little cause i plated the back 16 " .was tired of getting hung up on the rear bumper.most of my 2by4ing is no other trucks, so yes its a must have .scrap yard steel too .40 bucks includes bumper .a little bush though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom