Rear Winch 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent some more time taking measurements and refining my model...

A work of art once again Mr. Korn... Impressive. However, I must say I am becoming a bit bored with the virtual images. When do we get to see the real thing!?!

Last edited:
When do we get to see the real thing!?!

Trust me, I'd like this thing to be done and cut out today... But alas, no sense in burning through steel unless the design is finished.

Still have some work to do on the model, and the reason I want to get it 100% before cutting, is because all of my flat patterns and brake prints will come from that model. Basically, I'll export each sheet metal part to a flat pattern, and import that file into the waterjet.

Once I'm satisfied with my measurements being accurate in the model, I'll go through and "tab" each piece, so that when it comes time to assemble this thing, every part will fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. Makes for quick/easy welding.

All of that being said, my goal for today is to get a few 1:1 plots of the main pieces so that I can transfer them to cardboard (yes, cardboad... Lol) and see how this thing is going to fit up overall.

^^^ I get it... measure twice, cut once. I am sure the the finished product will be worth it. Make sure to post pics of the cardboard :hillbilly:

Whilst I think a rear winch is a great idea it is not really needed, it is quite feasible to winch yourself backwards with a front mounted winch. Is there a specific reason for having a rear mounted winch although I concede the :cool: factor is there for sure?

regards

Dave

Whilst I think a rear winch is a great idea it is not really needed, it is quite feasible to winch yourself backwards with a front mounted winch. Is there a specific reason for having a rear mounted winch although I concede the :cool: factor is there for sure?

regards

Dave

I've been in many situations where my front winch was nothing but dead weight and a rear winch could've saved the day :meh:

In fact, I feel that if I had originally mounted my winch out back, I would've pulled myself out of more sticky situations :doh:

Can't wait to get started on the rear install :)

Whenever I have needed a winch it has 'normally' been needed at the front however, at one particular event I needed pulling backwards, if I had some snatch blocks/anchor point my front winch could have pulled me backwards.

I just feel it is one less thing to fit/wire/repair/maintain ect

regards

Dave

Here's another one, and I'm seriously considering building it!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/117531-portable-multi-mount-electric-winch.html

This Foers setup seems like the bomb for my wheeling, lots of trees in Maine! I understand the double rear pull will shorten up my line quite a bit but I'm OK with that. I also saw one on here where the guy wanted to put his winch underneath but set at 90 degrees to the frame, so the drum axle runs fore and aft. This setup along with the back and front Foers cable run seems like it'd be the Leatherman of winch setups- not the best at any one thing but you sure can get a lot done with one...

Ah, I remember this old thread :)

Here's a link to my rear winch install:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/579938-rear-winch-install.html

I went with a Superwinch Husky 10 worm drive winch (landed a great deal on CL) and mounted it close to the axle on a plate that bolts up to the frame :)

huzkyqinchinstalled20.JPG

huzkyqinchinstalled22.JPG

huzkyqinchinstalled23.JPG

huzkyqinchinstalled24.JPG

huzkyqinchinstalled25.JPG

Apart from the hook and fair lead, it's completely hidden :cool:

Coincidence this one should resurface. I haven't used my rear winch for a while, but found myself in a situation the other day that got me thinking about this thread...

I was staying at a cabin with some friends up by Bear Lake, UT. A buddy and I went out late in the afternoon just to take pictures. No other vehicles. No intention going off road. Then we spotted that two track. You know what happens next...

Terrain was varying depths of snow, 2" to 2' on top of a few inches of mud. The first track we followed eventually took a sharp turn and dead ended in grove of trees, and we sank in a snow drift deep enough to bury my 35s. The guy I was with looked panicked. He told me later he was sure we were going to have to walk out. He was wearing jogging pants and running shoes. It would have been a long walk. Used the rear winch and we were back on the trail in less than 10 minutes.

Found another trail and ended up on a mountain switch back. Would have been a breeze in dry conditions, but the more elevation we gained the more the mud and snow we encountered. At one point the trail got steep. Very exposed. Axles double locked we bogged down in the snow and mud and started side slipping toward the edge. I'm sure we could have backed down but it would have been sketchy. And I wanted to see where this trail went. Glad I had the front mount...

Beautiful view when we crested the top. The trail dropped down between the saddle of two peaks. Before I knew what happened we were buried solid, nose down in another deep drift. We abandoned the cruiser and climbed the peak in front of us to get a better view.

When we got back to the cruiser the sun was getting low and the temperature was dropping. Tried rocking it out but wouldn't budge, just sank deeper. There was nothing to anchor to in front of us. Nothing solid immediately behind us. I walked several yards up the hill in the direction we needed to move and found some some solid boulders sticking out of the snow I could sling a strap around. The length of the winch cable always surprises me. Again, the rear mount got us back on the trail in a matter of minutes, and we were back to the cabin sitting by the fire by nightfall.

This little impromptu adventure helped me realize a couple of things: First, I want 37s. Second, even though we didn't need it, I'm glad I carry a little food, water, blanket, etc... Third, it reminded me that the time, energy, and expense of installing the rear winch was worth the utility and the confidence that goes with it. Could we have gotten it out without the rear mount? I'm sure, but it would have been a royal pain. It would have turned a day of fun and laughs into a day sweat and toil.

I think if I had to choose a between a front mount and a rear, while I think having both is ideal... I think I would choose a rear winch.

image-1355137318.jpg
image-317692290.jpg
image-1898984166.jpg
image-2115416254.jpg
image-3226065418.jpg
image-2384072997.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I finally scored a wicked craigslist deal on a Ramsey worm drive RE12000 winch! Happy dance!! Now I just have to rebuild it and figure out the mount, and given the dimensions and bolt holes that mount may get... interesting? I don't think the Foers system will work on my '95 unless I body lift the truck and I don't plan on doing that, so I'm going with a rear mount.

Anybody know if you can mount an RE12000 upside down? Does the gear train need to be in any specific orientation? Anyone got any experience with these worm drive type winches? I know they are slower than planetary types but for me that's not really an issue. Anything else to watch for?

And anyone using a delrin hawse-type fairlead and how's it holding up? This is the way I'm leaning on my build, possibly with dyneema winch line(because I have some) although the factory cable seems undamaged and in very good shape on this winch.

98Snakeeater I like your setup, but my winch looks like it needs to pull down toward the feet, so I need a plate or piece of angle iron at right angles or vertical to the frame instead of flat or horizontal under it. Not exactly sure how this is going to go, but I do have access to some 5/8 thick plate steel so that may be the main part of the mount and the rest just thinner covers and skid plates. Got some pondering and modeling to do I guess...

Nice score on the RE12k :)

That thing's a hoss!!

Mounting is gunna be a bit tricky though :hmm:

If it's not mounted correctly, the gears will starve for oil :eek:

Your best bet is to build a cradle that bolts up to the front and rear, like this....

ramseywinchplate1.jpg

ramseywinchplate2.jpg

You can then either bolt the entire cradle down onto a base plate like the one on my rig or have crossbars built onto the cradle itself and bolt it up to the frame :cool:

Nice! I was thinking about fore and aft plates but this setup encloses the bottom and gives some protection to the gear train too. I like it!

Thank you sir!

Does anyone have any insight on whether or not increasing the distance between the winch and fairlead would make the spooling better? I don't have an auxiliary gas tank so I am thinking tucking the winch in closer to the axle might help with the ground clearance issues due to the big gearbox on this winch. That'll make a few feet between the winch and the fairlead on the bumper. Any issues I should be thinking about there? And it looks like the winch will end up being offset to the passenger side in order to clear the tow hitch, that'll also put the gearbox more in line with the rear diff.

Now trying to figure out some protection from the elements. Really like the rubber flap idea and I have access to some similar material. Thinking about using either that or some heavy brush bristle material and making a passthrough for the cable and just enclosing the winch. Was also thinking of mounting an access plate (like the ones found in boats) in the cargo floor to be able to get at the top of the winch for maintenance, and it looks like I can probably extend the freespool clutch handle sideways to the wheelwell area so it can be accessed. Again, going to need some weatherproofing there.

I really like the angle iron mount from the first thread here, but with my winch the size of steel needed for a frame like that is cost prohibitive. Just can't swing it, almost had a heart attack at the salvage yard when they gave me some prices! Holy cow steel has gone up since the last time I bought any! I do have some quarter inch by 8 inch I-beam material and some half inch 3x3 angle iron to use, and some 14 guage sheet metal that might make a good enclosure. Still gonna need some kind of skid plate too...

Still trying to ponder this rig out before I start cutting or drilling anything!

Another incident feeling grateful for the winch back there.

IMG_8755.jpg
IMG_8756.jpg

...trail was hard to read And I wasn't paying attention. Zigged when I should have zagged.

Last edited:
My rear winch bumper, work in progress. I mounted my XRC8000 in the rear, and put a new X2O 12k in front.

That’s looking good. What do you have left to do to make it work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom