Rear Seat Safety (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,
I am interested in picking up another FJ-60 for my wife to use as a daily driver. We have owned an 84' that we both loved, but this was pre-children. Since then we have owned two FJ-80 that were wonderful vehicles, but they just did not have the same feel. So, the notion of buying another Cruiser has arisen once again. I think we both agree that we would rather have the a FJ-60, but the concern is safety. Our 84' if I remember correctly had lap belts only and no head rest. Did Toyota ever produce shoulder belts and head rest for the back seat? If not, does anyone have pictures or suggestions to retrofitting the necessary safety equipment. Thanks in advance to your thoughts.
Regards,
Lee

I have shoulder belts in the back of my 87'. The center is still a lap belt only. My truck however is a diesel so it's equipped more like the 62. I think the 62 had shoulder belts.

62s came with three point shoulder belts and headrests in the back seat. It's very common for people to put these parts into their 60s.

There are multiple threads out on this. search will reveal dozens. Here are 3 that I bookmarked to get you started:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj62-rear-shoulder-belts-in-fj60.295136/

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/aussie-shoulder-belts-in-an-fj60.341459/

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-belts-installed.225153/

The short version is:

It's very easy to convert your rear seat to the 62 type with head rests. It requires a 62 seat back frame and headrests, available from multiple parts vendors.

It's more difficult to add shoulder belts. Your early 60 won't have the threaded insert in the C pillar but you can add one without much trouble. The C pillar won't have the cut out or inserts for the spool. There has been a lot of discussion about how much material can be removed without compromising the pillar and about how solid the wheel well pinch weld is to use it as an attach point. The rear belts are no longer available new so you would be forced to buy used (not too smart for a seat belt but others haven't hesitated). I read an unconfirmed thread about a Mudder using an 80 series rear belt in a 60. There are also new aftermarket belts available for all 4 seats. They look different but would be safer than 30 year old, sun bleached nylon.

Don't go for the cheap, add a strap, non-spooled straps, even though they are Toyota. Without the spring loaded spool, they will always be too loose and are probably worse than not having a strap at all.

Good luck.

62s came with three point shoulder belts and headrests in the back seat. It's very common for people to put these parts into their 60s.

not all 62's came with rear 3 point setups. only 89 and 90's did. the 88's still had the same setup as 60 series.

We own an 1990 FJ62 and 1982 FJ60. I pulled a donor 62 interior with seats and seatbelts to retrofit the FJ60 and now have three point belts with booster seats for kids on outboard seats and full britax or sunshine in middle on lap belt in both vehicles. I have to admit to some paranoia/over protectiveness as I make my living taking care of trauma patients, especially motor vehicle accidents.

Safety is an interesting concern as the FJ60 has no ABS or Side Impact protection or suspension upgrades like your 80 series, clearly an 80 series has significant safety improvements over 60 series.

If you kids are old enough to get away with three point belts and booster, then do the 62 rear belt and seat back upgrade. If your kids are in full on car seats then a lap belt works great if you have an anchor for the third strap over the seat back. You can bolt an anchor to rear cargo and that adds a ton of stability to car seat. If safety really is the concern in an FJ60, then updating brakes, a roll cage and some type of side impact protection should be high on your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom