Rear seat belt upgrade nut install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm dying to know why Toyota would make the holes without the threaded nut on the C pillars..

The retractors have covers that snap on after they are bolted in, as pictured.

There are probably many ways to skin this particular cat. This is just how I did it. The method with a rod sounds like a good alternative.

I searched the forum for pretty much all the seatbelt threads, and from what I've read, it seems they quit installing the nuts from 85-87, but of course that is a guess.

:cheers:

Would you happen to know the part number for this triangle-shaped cap on the upper bolt of the seat belts? I'm looking for it to replace them in my BJ74 for haven't been able to find a part number so far in every EPC I have checked.

Thanks.

PD: Awesome work by the way. I'm bookmarking it for future reference in case a 60 series decides to live in my garage.

Cover on. Now for the other side, and then the bottom retractors and ends.
sbj11_zpsjqkqcsyw.jpg

Ok these I like much better than the factory Toyota shoulder belts for the rear.
the Toyota belt just hangs there and is attached to the replacement lap belt with a clip (clips into the lap belt). Why? who knows I guess for those that want to just use a lap belt.

i guess the plus is it used the factory mount including the bolt hole in the pillar. I have a late 1986 model and it has the backing nut.

Do you have a finished product pic with the seats in place and the plastic covers over the retractors?

What the heck?! I talked to Steve from seatbeltplanet and he told me they had no options for the 3pt retractable for the rear for 85 FJ60! I ordered the two fronts and told him that my pillars had the hole for mounting 3pt and he said, couldn't be done.

What did you order for the rears, did you just ask for 62 replacement rear belts?

I called a couple weeks ago too and whoever was on the phone was clueless to adding their belts to a Toyota.

Do you have a finished product pic with the seats in place and the plastic covers over the retractors?

I'll have to take one.

Seems the pics are all missing from the retractor install on this thread...any other way to see them?

Seems the pics are all missing from the retractor install on this thread...any other way to see them?

I’ll try and remember to take a pic tomorrow. Mine are mounted but not covered up yet. Might be able to find a pic on my iPad.

Not great pics. Can try and get better shots

AF946F2C-ECAC-4789-83C5-44C6BFEFA34C.png
0EE6ED19-215A-434D-B6A3-E3895A03321B.png
0EB1E91B-D9F7-4AF4-9AD8-90BB0EAB29AA.png

This last pic is not mine but it’s an OEM setup.

CC2F41A5-AB84-473C-91A3-8D56506DF32D.png

I put mine in an existing seat belt hole where the receiver end would have attached. factory hole and bolt. no drilling required.

Last edited:
I'm looking to do this on my new (to me) '86 FJ60. Seatbeltplanet no longer offers rear 3-pt belts for 85-90 Cruisers. I'm going to assume this is due to liability, since we seem to know that 60's built after 1985 no longer have the threaded hole. I bet they don't want to sell the kit and trust shade tree mechanics like us to safely execute adding the nut in the "C" Pillar. Now, does anyone see why I couldn't order a set of belts for an '84, and put them in my '86? (After I add the nut of course)

I'm looking to do this on my new (to me) '86 FJ60. Seatbeltplanet no longer offers rear 3-pt belts for 85-90 Cruisers. I'm going to assume this is due to liability, since we seem to know that 60's built after 1985 no longer have the threaded hole. I bet they don't want to sell the kit and trust shade tree mechanics like us to safely execute adding the nut in the "C" Pillar. Now, does anyone see why I couldn't order a set of belts for an '84, and put them in my '86? (After I add the nut of course)

Anyone have measurements for the front belt length? I'm guessing you could order a set of those and use them in the rear. They would have a hard time knowing the difference.

80 series second row belts are also know to be used as an alternative.

Now, does anyone see why I couldn't order a set of belts for an '84, and put them in my '86?

That's what i ordered & installed on my '85.
I thought it was earlier models that didn't have the threaded hole on the C pillar..
Yah 100% sure that hole is not threaded?

Anyone have measurements for the front belt length? I'm guessing you could order a set of those and use them in the rear. They would have a hard time knowing the difference.
this cross my brain when i first looked at that website...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom