Rear seat belt upgrade nut install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this cross my brain when i first looked at that website...
the part number i got from seatbelt planet for the rear 3-point belts of my 84 is 5031355. When ordering, I talked with Mike Mills at Seatbelt Planet and he was super helpful. The passenger side rear belt went in really easy if you follow this thread. Haven't gotten to the driver's side rear belt yet, but looks to be more difficult with the wiring where it is.

Yah 100% sure that hole is not threaded?
No, I'm not. I have not yet torn the trim off to investigate. I thought I remembered reading earlier in this thread that they seem to have stopped threading the hole at some point in '85. Mine was built 4/86 so, I'm going on that. Hopefully when i get it apart, I'm pleasantly greeted with threads...

No, I'm not. I have not yet torn the trim off to investigate. I thought I remembered reading earlier in this thread that they seem to have stopped threading the hole at some point in '85. Mine was built 4/86 so, I'm going on that. Hopefully when i get it apart, I'm pleasantly greeted with threads...
easy non destructive way to tell:

stick a sewing pin or safety pin through the headliner and scrape it against the edge of the hole, you can feel if there's threads back there or if it's just sheet metal

I'm looking to do this on my new (to me) '86 FJ60. Seatbeltplanet no longer offers rear 3-pt belts for 85-90 Cruisers. I'm going to assume this is due to liability, since we seem to know that 60's built after 1985 no longer have the threaded hole. I bet they don't want to sell the kit and trust shade tree mechanics like us to safely execute adding the nut in the "C" Pillar. Now, does anyone see why I couldn't order a set of belts for an '84, and put them in my '86? (After I add the nut of course)

Ordered mine from seatbeltsplus.com

Is there anyplace I might find the missing pics from this thread showing the retractor install part of things?

Hi All

My first post here on MUD. I've been lurking for a while. I have owned a 1994 Toyota pickup since 1994 (229,000 miles). The second timing chain just went bad...well...the guides just broke and will need to replace. I was looking around for options and had the crazy thought to see about something a little larger (actually got that idea looking at Old Man Emu suspensions...and one thing led to another). Anyway, just bought a 1984 FJ60 that I found on this site .

I installed 3-point belts last weekend (from seatbelt planet) and wanted to share some pics of the install in case 1. I did it wrong or 2. others were interested.

I had threads in the pillar already, thank goodness.

the inside
made a new hole for the retractor...
rear retractor installed
i had threads!!
installed the free end of retractor to existing mount point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom