Rear driveshaft, trying to decide options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just stired the pot and questioned why no carbon fiber tube, he will stew over this :worms:

I've worked with carbon fiber plenty. This was my last project for RED ;)

IMG_2886.PNG

I'm gonna put out a few questions here, and I'm trying to wrap my tiny brain around some physics-type s:censor:t here, so bear with me please. Am I missing something or wouldn't a larger diameter tube actually sit a tad lower than a stock diameter one? If you 'candy caned' one shaft tube already, why would you want to have one that sits lower?

And what would the weight difference be between the larger shaft and the smaller one? Isn't the weight and inertia of the shaft one of the things that wears the u-joints? Or are you going with a thinner wall tube to make up the difference?

Or is a bigger diameter drive shaft just some Cali-style truck bling thing and I am totally missing the point? (Wouldn't be the first time, come to think of it...:doh:)

I'm setting the over/under of how much Joey spends on this "overthinking that could've been fixed for $30" at $2782.

Who's in?!
I'm picturing more sprayers. These would spray the shaft to ensure no mud buildup that could lead to an imbalance.

I'm assuming you have a good deal of miles on your rig. The spline joints wear too but you could always leave that judgment ulnto your shop.

I have 4" Slee heavy progressives which lift me like 5" when no gear is packed in the cargo area. Thus caused a deceleration vibration that pinion angle adjustments could it fix due to overall driveline operation Angie of 12.9*. So, I run anrear DC shaft and I, just last week, had a second spare rear DC shaft built.

Wall thickness of .095 has stood up pretty well to boulders at the local mall parking lot and the overall operating length is 38.25".

The joint looks to be in backwards.

It's funny you say that. I thought the same because it was always a pain. But I went thru all of my notes and I don't see any u-joint replacement for the rear. Dunno.

Driveshaft and joints dropped off. The guy at Wenco confirmed the .095" tubing with no length change. He said zirc was definitely backwards. He did say it's a Japanese joint but no clue if original.

IMG_2887.JPG
IMG_2888.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom