Rear Disc Brake Conversions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First, have you upgraded the front brakes with rotors and pads? I had a 1985 FJ60 with rear disk brakes

I used DBA rotors and EBC yellowstuff pads I also had the the M/C and booster upgraded to FJ80 parts. Later on , I had the calipers upgraded to 4Runner calipers. I would not do anything until you do the front upgrade as the majority of the braking is done by the front brakes.

What I learned , was to get a complete kit rather than piecing the parts together. On the rear, I also used EBC Yellowstuff pads.

The real disadvantage to rear disks are the loss of the parking brake. I had to get an expensive T-case parking brake and over the years It caused issues and with no spare parts available, I had to get an entire new assembly to replace the broken parts.

When I had the rear discs first installed , I never felt a difference. It was only after taking the truck in for the V8 swap that I was told the rear disks were not working at all. I had spent about 7 years and thousands of miles towing a trailer just on front brakes.

Apparently there was more to the brake conversion than just slapping the parts in . Have someone who know what they're doing , do the work.

Apparently there was more to the brake conversion than just slapping the parts in . Have someone who know what they're doing , do the work.

This..

It works put a custom currie enterprise ford 9inch with them in an 87fj60 have two options when i did the axle / lsswap those or explorer rear disk conversion with ebrake. The ebrake its built-in to the calipers use brake shoes on the inside of the brake rotors.
Couple pics...
Tommy

20191202_144953.jpg

20191202_145011.jpg

No such thing as slapping in a FJ80 axle housing just to get rear disks. This is a major modification with lots of fabbing . The Axle housing is wider that a FJ60 so the rear wheels might need to be changed based on the offset. The FJ80 uses 16" wheels as well.

All in all , this is a major investment.

No such thing as slapping in a FJ80 axle housing just to get rear disks. This is a major modification with lots of fabbing . The Axle housing is wider that a FJ60 so the rear wheels might need to be changed based on the offset. The FJ80 uses 16" wheels as well.

All in all , this is a major investment.
Also the drive shaft will be a little offset compared to a fj60 axle in a 60 with the split case. It may be a deal breaker for some.

What all needs to be replaced if I go with tundra front disc brakes?
rotors, calipers, pads? Does the master cylinder need to be upgraded too?
FJ60 do not have a good master cylinder it is a metal body compare to aluminum alloy plus Tundra has a wider diameter. I just worked on my FJ60 1985 - all brake components, lines, drums, pads etc. after putting all together I even got a new OEM FJ60 master cylinder - still have it. I read that Tundra has 1:1 match so ripped OEM and vent with Tundras, big difference, brake pedal grabs very firmly.

FJ60 do not have a good master cylinder it is a metal body compare to aluminum alloy plus Tundra has a wider diameter. I just worked on my FJ60 1985 - all brake components, lines, drums, pads etc. after putting all together I even got a new OEM FJ60 master cylinder - still have it. I read that Tundra has 1:1 match so ripped OEM and vent with Tundras, big difference, brake pedal grabs very firmly.

Don’t see what the master cylinder material had to do with it. The real gain is in the diameter difference.

You mean the difference in width? It’s only 5”. I’ve seen it done and I really didn’t notice.

First, have you upgraded the front brakes with rotors and pads? I had a 1985 FJ60 with rear disk brakes

I used DBA rotors and EBC yellowstuff pads I also had the the M/C and booster upgraded to FJ80 parts. Later on , I had the calipers upgraded to 4Runner calipers. I would not do anything until you do the front upgrade as the majority of the braking is done by the front brakes.

What I learned , was to get a complete kit rather than piecing the parts together. On the rear, I also used EBC Yellowstuff pads.

The real disadvantage to rear disks are the loss of the parking brake. I had to get an expensive T-case parking brake and over the years It caused issues and with no spare parts available, I had to get an entire new assembly to replace the broken parts.

When I had the rear discs first installed , I never felt a difference. It was only after taking the truck in for the V8 swap that I was told the rear disks were not working at all. I had spent about 7 years and thousands of miles towing a trailer just on front brakes.

was working on the rear brake myself and parking line a
Don’t see what the master cylinder material had to do with it. The real gain is in the diameter difference.
perhaps

It works put a custom currie enterprise ford 9inch with them in an 87fj60 have two options when i did the axle / lsswap those or explorer rear disk conversion with ebrake. The ebrake its built-in to the calipers use brake shoes on the inside of the brake rotors.
Couple pics...
Tommy

View attachment 2147641

View attachment 2147642

This all looks rather insubstantial, you prefer this setup to factory drums?

Rear axle is big money brakes were not cheap either gotta pay to play

so what magic voodoo is at hand here? Part Numbers.... do you have to run a 17inch wheel.

I can't read that number on the caliper...assuming thats the part number.

If you go to a newer and more powerful booster then you can run a larger bore master cylinder which moves more fluid with pedal application and can generate more pad and shoe pressure.

System I have now is an 80 series FF rear with disc brakes, Tundra brakes on the front, 80 series brake booster from City Racer, and non-ABS 80 series master cylinder and I've never driven a Land Cruiser that stops this well. The Tundra calipers I have I think are from around 2002 and 16" 70 series wheels fit without any interference. I'm very pleased with this set up.

System I have now is an 80 series FF rear with disc brakes, Tundra brakes on the front, 80 series brake booster from City Racer, and non-ABS 80 series master cylinder and I've never driven a Land Cruiser that stops this well. The Tundra calipers I have I think are from around 2002 and 16" 70 series wheels fit without any interference. I'm very pleased with this set up.
That is extensive work. Good to hear it makes a difference. Of the various improvements, is there a mod that improved breaking the most?

That is extensive work. Good to hear it makes a difference. Of the various improvements, is there a mod that improved breaking the most?

Since I reworked the entire brake system at one time I cannot say that a particular component change made the most improvement with braking. I'll add I also swapped in new Toyota soft lines and the 80 series e-brake works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom