Rear Disc Brake Conversions (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy Monday Guys,

I searched for information on a rear disc brake conversion here, but came up dry. Who has done this conversion and what's the best source for parts?

Thanks!

Me thinks It's really not worth the effort or expense for the marginal gain it could bring.
For the 30 years I owned my 60, (frequently driving it overloaded) the thought of upgrading the rear brakes to discs never even crossed my mind. When the factory rear drums are working correctly, they stop the cruiser fine.

Get an 80s series with disc brakes

He means buy an 80 series truck.

The rear drums on the 60 do work very well. There are conversion kits out there but not many bother to do them. You would probably see more braking performance gain from the newer booster and later front calipers....think it’s fore runner parts but don’t remember.

He means buy an 80 series truck.

The rear drums on the 60 do work very well. There are conversion kits out there but not many bother to do them. You would probably see more braking performance gain from the newer booster and later front calipers....think it’s fore runner parts but don’t remember.
Thank you

I hate working on drum brakes, but I’ve heard complaints about the ebrake being less effective with a disc convserion .I absolutely depend on my ebrake holding me on steep trails so I tolerate the stock setup. I have a FF 80 axle that someday will go under my 60.

I understand the disdain for working on drums but the stock Toyota drums are really quite easy to work on. Once you learn how to back off the adjuster they come apart pretty quickly and there’s a good amount of space in there so it’s really not so bad.

Me thinks It's really not worth the effort or expense for the marginal gain it could bring.

I think the same... the factory setup works so well. Its worth learning the ins and outs of adjustment of the rear brakes because the front brakes are very dependent on the rears being well adjusted.

I think the same... the factory setup works so well. Its worth learning the ins and outs of adjustment of the rear brakes because the front brakes are very dependent on the rears being well adjusted.

Which fronr rotors do you guys suggest? I've looked at Terrain Tamer and the DBA slotted and drilled ones... Its confusing on whos works better. Any thoughts?

Which fronr rotors do you guys suggest? I've looked at Terrain Tamer and the DBA slotted and drilled ones

You'll never go wrong with Terrain Tamer.. If money is no object just do it..

I used Tora (TORA Automotive Parts | Braking, Cooling and Heating) for my last rotors, they're just cheapies available here in Australia at $US40 for two, I also used cheap pads. I avoid the "heavy duty" type pads because I find soft cheap ones work better and I'm happy to change them more regularly. I'm sure similar cheap rotors would be available in the US?

For front rotors, I stick with solid no-drilled holes or slots. These are not racy cars. The rear drums work very well actually, when adjusted properly and the bits inside haven't been corroding for 15 years without being looked at.

Realize if you convert the rear drums, you'll have to get one of those E-brake add-ons for the t'case, or do without an e-brake. Kind of a lot of money just so you don't have to pull off the drums once and awhile to inspect and clean. Rear drums are self-adjusting if working correctly.

I think my last set of front pads was like $20 off rock auto. No issues yet.

Parts I got for my 80s series rear axle with disc brake swap.
80s rear axle
80s eBrake cable
80s brake master cylinder
Brake proportioning valve
SS flexible brake lines
New spring perches

The 80s gears are 4.11
My rear brake proportioning valve is fully open but gives you the ability to adjust how the rear brakes are operating.
Cutting and removing the coil suspension setup is time consuming. I had a forklift, oxy/ acetylene torch,plasma torch and angle grinder with cut off discs. Flap disc to clean up the rough edges. Turned out nice and definitely notice a difference in the braking.
I used the 80s eBrake cable but modified how the 60s handle hits the brake switch. It’s on my build thread.

I am not surprised this turned into a purist thread. Not a single person linked to a disc kit and instead pushed for swapping in a whole new axle which is ridiculous given the question.

I whole heartedly stand behind my rear disc conversion having owned Cruisers with both. The disc's stop way better especially on a loaded rig. The rear discs will completely lock up a truck and trailer with trailer brakes.

Check out TSM Mfg.

Downside, you need to figure out an ebrake when converting for at least the set I have. This can be achieved fairly easily with a Tcase brake. I have hydraulic line locks in place of a tcase brake kit which I don't reccomend but it works. I also have a wilwood adjustable proportioning valve to balance the brakes and a FZJ80 Master cylinder with upgraded 93/94 T 4Runner front calipers.

There is no reason to keep the known underpowered brakes on these trucks when cheaper options are available to increase the vehicle safety on a 30 year old truck.

I am not surprised this turned into a purist thread. Not a single person linked to a disc kit and instead pushed for swapping in a whole new axle which is ridiculous given the question.

I whole heartedly stand behind my rear disc conversion having owned Cruisers with both. The disc's stop way better especially on a loaded rig. The rear discs will completely lock up a truck and trailer with trailer brakes.

Check out TSM Mfg.

Downside, you need to figure out an ebrake when converting for at least the set I have. This can be achieved fairly easily with a Tcase brake. I have hydraulic line locks in place of a tcase brake kit which I don't reccomend but it works. I also have a wilwood adjustable proportioning valve to balance the brakes and a FZJ80 Master cylinder with upgraded 93/94 T 4Runner front calipers.

There is no reason to keep the known underpowered brakes on these trucks when cheaper options are available to increase the vehicle safety on a 30 year old truck.

Now thats what I'm talking about! Can you post some pics?

Now thats what I'm talking about! Can you post some pics?

Give me an hour. I have to run some errands and then Ill snap some photos for you on the rig.

There are a few little things with changung he chevy pads that I can share from experience as well if you go this route

Get an 80s series rear axle with disc brakes
Sorry it’s Monday... :rofl:
Seconded. Ideal brakes for a 60/62 is Tundra fronts with an FZJ80 rear. Keeps it all Toyota, retains the parking brake, and will stop on a dime and give you change. This is what I'm having @torfab do when I take my 62 to them (hopefully in the spring) for the H55F conversion.

My 62 stops fine now. I would disagree with the "known under powered" comment, but would have to agree that, like everyone else, I would love a little more.

I prefer drums in the rear because you get a much better parking brake that way. I don't like automatics (my 62 has an H55) and I use the parking brake all the time.

It seems to me that the best of both worlds is Tundra fronts (requires 16+" wheels) and stock drums in the rear. You get improved braking on the front where most of the work gets done, and you still have a usable e-brake. I'm sure the 80FF would stop a little better while driving, but my 62 already already stops fine, with the Tundra fronts it will stop even better, and at that point, the marginal increase on the road is not worth downgrading to the tiny little parking brake inside the rear rotors on the 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom