Rear Disc Brake conversion - Parking Brake question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This may be a question I should have asked before. I just installed the JT Outfitters rear disc conversion kit. Now, I have a big question... this means I can't install the OEM parking brake on the rear driver's side wheel?

This may be a question I should have asked before. I just installed the JT Outfitters rear disc conversion kit. Now, I have a big question... this means I can't install the OEM parking brake on the rear driver's side wheel?

OEM parking brake is on the rear of the transfercase... unless i'm missing something on mine?

OEM parking brake is on the rear of the transfercase... unless i'm missing something on mine?

/this\

at least for around '72

Hi All:

The 1981-84 BJ/FJ40/42 came with a rear axle-mounted parking brake not unlike that featured on the 1981-89 BJ/FJ/HJ60/61/62.

No, the common "Monte Carlo" rear disc brake swap done on pre-1981 40 Series is not compatible with the OE rear axle parking brake.

The GM/Cadillac "El Dorado" rear axle calipers with parking brake feature were designed to have a floor mounted pedal provide the engaging force, which an under dash or between the seats mounted p-brake engagement lever simply cannot provide.

An idea would be to use the rear axle disc brake calipers from a 1988-96 Isuzu Trooper, which has an under the dash mounted engagement lever.

Good luck!

Alan

I used eldorado calipers, had a big problem getting them to hold. Visited the local boat store and bought 4 small pulleys designed for steel cable and hooked up a pulley system. Lots of leverage now....

Hi All:

The 1981-84 BJ/FJ40/42 came with a rear axle-mounted parking brake not unlike that featured on the 1981-89 BJ/FJ/HJ60/61/62.

No, the common "Monte Carlo" rear disc brake swap done on pre-1981 40 Series is not compatible with the OE rear axle parking brake.

The GM/Cadillac "El Dorado" rear axle calipers with parking brake feature were designed to have a floor mounted pedal provide the engaging force, which an under dash or between the seats mounted p-brake engagement lever simply cannot provide.

An idea would be to use the rear axle disc brake calipers from a 1988-96 Isuzu Trooper, which has an under the dash mounted engagement lever.

Good luck!

Alan

Will the Isuzu Trooper calipers fit the common JT's/Posers brakets? found this picture on Rockauto
pic12-1190.jpg

Last edited:
That is a good question, I am curious to know as well if the Izusu Trooper brakes would work with either JT's kit or Poser's Kit.

Will the Isuzu Trooper calipers fit the common JT's/Posers brakets? found this picture on Rockauto

I'm wondering how effective the parking brake feature is on those. I had El Dorado ones on my FJ62 with the parking brake and they sucked. No kind of clamping force when using the parking brake.

pulleys

I used eldorado calipers, had a big problem getting them to hold. Visited the local boat store and bought 4 small pulleys designed for steel cable and hooked up a pulley system. Lots of leverage now....

I had thought of that myself, using pulleys to multiply the force

still work good? any downside?

Got pics of how you mounted the pulleys?

:cheers:

Hi All:

At this point in time, I have to answer "I don't know."

When I last serviced the rear brakes on my '91 Isuzu Trooper the backing plate on the axle tube for the disc brake calipers sure looked similar to the custom backing plate we use to mount Chevy Monte Carlo front disc calipers onto the rear axles of pre-1981 Land Cruisers! :D

But, I have been unsuccessful in finding a cheap junkyard Trooper rear axle assembly to experiment with. So I would have to assume that the bolt pattern for the commonly used Monte Carlo front axle calipers is not the same as the bolt pattern of the rear axle calipers on a 1988 - 97 Isuzu Trooper.

There is no doubt that the custom rear axle disc brake caliper adapter brackets that are commonly used on pre-1980 Land Cruisers could be manufactured to work with the Isuzu rear axle disc brake calipers.

Regards,

Alan

Hi All:

Dave, if you mean the Trooper OE rear parking brake, it works well.

The only issues I have observed after owning this rig for a bit over 20 years is that the driver's (left) side cable to the "T" split will stretch and fail after awhile. I think it is a design flaw, since the whole orientation of the p-brake cable is off-set to the left-side of the truck.

Regards,

Alan

I'm wondering how effective the parking brake feature is on those. I had El Dorado ones on my FJ62 with the parking brake and they sucked. No kind of clamping force when using the parking brake.

I was looking at the Isuzu calipers and it looks like they use a bolt on one end and a fixed pin on the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom