Rear disc conversion brake pad clip (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of doing the rear disc conversion with the Monte Carlo Calipers. Do I need to use the clips that came with the pads for the outside brake pad? I have not seen anything about the clip in any of the write ups I have read, so I am guessing I do not use them, just want to make sure.

Thanks for the input

41662629-81EF-49B0-A732-CB372B592CBF.jpeg

The clip in the pic goes on the back side of the inside pad and inserts into the piston. It's a anti rattle clip and hold the pad in place on the caliper. The outside pad has tabs that get bent to hold it to the caliper.

The clip in the pic goes on the back side of the inside pad and inserts into the piston. It's a anti rattle clip and hold the pad in place on the caliper. The outside pad has tabs that get bent to hold it to the caliper.
Thanks for the quick reply, these are the pads I have for an 85 monte carlo, just making sure these are right. I see how the outside pads fit in the caliper, am I supposed to bend the tabs, or are you just saying the way they are bent should hold it to the caliper

74E4F580-CD5D-410F-B9AE-8B957A8C3636.jpeg

On the pad on the left, You can tap down/adjust the 2 tabs sticking up(1 on each end) so it's snug on the caliper. I usually take the pad out to adjust. Lay it on the ground vertically and tap them down a bit. I might need a pr of channel locks to strategically squeeze it on to the caliper, so I don't hurt the pads material. Without the adjustment, you'll notice the pad fits loosely and can fall out when you remove the caliper. A lot of folks just install it as is and don't know about adjusting the tabs. If the pads are loose you will hear clicking while driving down the road when off the brakes. The pad on the right shows the clip installed.

On the pad on the left, You can tap down/adjust the 2 tabs sticking up(1 on each end) so it's snug on the caliper. I usually take the pad out to adjust. Lay it on the ground vertically and tap them down a bit. I might need a pr of channel locks to strategically squeeze it on to the caliper, so I don't hurt the pads material. Without the adjustment, you'll notice the pad fits loosely and can fall out when you remove the caliper. A lot of folks just install it as is and don't know about adjusting the tabs. If the pads are loose you will hear clicking while driving down the road when off the brakes. The pad on the right shows the clip installed.
that is very helpful, thank you

The tab bend will also keep the little tits on the bottom from draging the rotor in the center. I ground the tits off and find I too need to bend the tabs down just a bit.

When I work on my Mote Carlo brake calipers, I always look at this picture for reference on how the clip is installed. Not only do they keep the pads from ‘rattling’ they also help pull the pad away from the rotor when you let your foot off the brake.
IMG_1066.jpeg

Better explanation , the pad against the piston is clipped in & clip goes inside piston, the outer pad has tabs up top and a longer piece with tabs bottom ( not the tits, the part in the middle). Due to the slight curve of this piece it is hard to bend ( wont happen), I have found that with a large pair of channel locks you can grab the upper tab & squeeze so that pad fits snuggly, you have to bend them a bit more than you think and for me it drew the pad too far to one side so, I ground the bridge outa the bottom tabs so I could have 4 tabs all bent to center the pad better. The pad that clips into piston has bosses on the caliper that keep it located.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom