Rear Control Arms - can you buy just the bushings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I might just go FEBEST all around, they have bushings for all pieces and yes, upper arms can be purchased ready.
Even if they going to last 1/2 of OE - works for me. Will be considerable savings. Like $150(FEBEST) vs $500 OE

Anybody had BAD experience with FEBEST?

View attachment 2389173
I don't have a press, after reading threads on pressing out bushings, etc. what sealed the deal was looking at the state of both my original low and upper arms. They were rusted, one appeared to be bowed out of spec. With new upper and lower arms it took me all of an hour to change out all 4. Made sense for me to go that route.

Can someone confirm following?

So, ALL bushes from 80 has same OD but different bolt (18 vs 14mm)?
By ALL, I mean:
2x uppers
2x lowers
1x lateral control link

Will it work to get those 10 bushings, 10 bolts, 10 nuts, 10 washers for 80 series?
Then, all that needed is to drill out mounting holes for 18mm. Right?

Give a quick call to Cruiser Outfitters—AFAIK, OEM 100-series bushings for the rear CAs are now available.

To @katit, I think the 80-series bolts are bigger, so no drilling required. I think most sleeve the 100-series bolt to make the 80 parts work. I haven't done it, so maybe I'm confused.

I'm picking it up from Control Arm Bushing Kit - Fits 1998 - 2007 IFS 100 Series & LX470 (SUS100BUSHKITOEM). That's quite a pile of cash, but looks to include parts you won't need for the rears.

To @katit, I think the 80-series bolts are bigger, so no drilling required. I think most sleeve the 100-series bolt to make the 80 parts work. I haven't done it, so maybe I'm confused.

I decided to go 80 bushing route.
From a search I found there is 2 ways to go about it.
A. Go with sleeves and use 100 bolts
B. Drill into mounts and use bigger 80 bushings so no sleeves required.

I am not sure where to get sleeves, but I can drill holes bigger no problem.

If anybody got input on dos/donts - please do. My goal is not to cut on labor but stick with Toyota parts and try to stay as budget as possible. Currently plan B seem to be the ticket.

Ditto... have Slee lift kit Rear arms from an 80 wasting space in the Geerage

The right forward bushing on rear trailing arm needs to be replaced. Debating on pressing in new bushings. I do have a 20ton Harbor press. Can anyone comment on the difficulty of pressing out the old bushings and the new ones in? Difficult to find a sleeve to match up to the old ones, to press out? Will a common large socket get the job done?

Also, see comments on the the bolts and specificity of the washer. Do most buy new nut, bold, washer sets?

Appreciate the advice,

The right forward bushing on rear trailing arm needs to be replaced. Debating on pressing in new bushings. I do have a 20ton Harbor press. Can anyone comment on the difficulty of pressing out the old bushings and the new ones in? Difficult to find a sleeve to match up to the old ones, to press out? Will a common large socket get the job done?

Also, see comments on the the bolts and specificity of the washer. Do most buy new nut, bold, washer sets?

Appreciate the advice,

I have not tried the rear control arms, but I did try the front diff bushing arm on my 99. That's another simple bushing that Toyota does not offer without the arm. That bushing would not budge with my 12-ton. Not with heat, not with a cheater bar on the handle, nothing. I had to dremel and saw the old one out. I've pressed a lot of bushings but that was probably the most difficult I've ever tried. I just bought the entire arm when I did the same job on my 06.

I'm in favor of replacing the entire arm, as intended by Toyota. The only other option to retain Toyota parts is to use the 80 series bushings and then add a sleeve or drill out the holes for mounting on the car.

I'm thinking the bushings that are not intended to be user-serviceable by Toyota might be pressed in more tightly or with a compound or something that makes them very difficult to remove. I've never had a bushing sleeve be that tough to budge.

If you want to try to press out the bushings, just go into it knowing you might not be able to press any out and may have to chisel and grind all 6 of them out. That turns into a long, arduous job. If your time is valued at nothing, or a very low number, go for it. If you have fleeting free time like me, I'd suggest to just buy the new arms and make it a 5 min job you can do before a cup of coffee cools down. $$ or time. Your choice.

Great response, much appreciated. New control, Toyota control arms ordered off of Ebay (from UAE--fingers crossed). Bought both sides just to be done. While not dirt cheap, relatively reasonable for OEM.

FYI, coincidentally, I purchased one of your YotaMD key cases a week or two ago. What a fantastic solution, very nice work.

Relatively new to LC ownership, and do appreciate all of the knowledge share on this site.

I did all of mine and they worked great. These are Toyota bushes that are compatible, which is to say they're from a 200 series or GX or something. There is no official part number in the diagrams for the 100 series so this is the only option without going aftermarket or whole new arms. Whether the rubber is slightly different I cannot say, but their dimensions are exact and they work well for me.

Rears Arms:

4870260110 x4 lower
4870260090 x4 upper
4870660060 x2 panhard

WTF Amayama even lists them as compatible with UZJ100, HDJ100, etc. Why are they not in the parts diagrams??

I did all of mine and they worked great. These are Toyota bushes that are compatible, which is to say they're from a 200 series or GX or something. There is no official part number in the diagrams for the 100 series so this is the only option without going aftermarket or whole new arms. Whether the rubber is slightly different I cannot say, but their dimensions are exact and they work well for me.

Rears Arms:

4870260110 x4 lower
4870260090 x4 upper
4870660060 x2 panhard

OOOOooooooo. Toyota bushings with no sleeves or modification needed?! How much is a more powerful press on craigslist...

There are lengthy discussions on the topic of rear control arm bushings archived within this forum. FYI - Wits end makes a press to get the old ones out.

Rears Arms:

4870260110 x4 lower
4870260090 x4 upper
4870660060 x2 panhard
Dang! I already bought 80 series stuff. Plan to drill out mount holes. Wish you posted earlier!

I had trouble accessing a good press so I just burnt them and chiseled the outer sleeve out.

OOOOooooooo. Toyota bushings with no sleeves or modification needed?! How much is a more powerful press on craigslist...

Yep. I used the 20 ton Harbor Freight press, fyiw. Mine's alignment sucks but it had plenty of power to get job done as long as I was careful.

I had trouble accessing a good press so I just burnt them and chiseled the outer sleeve out.

You know that's probably the easiest way. I wrote elsewhere that I pressed out the centers and then used the new bushings to press out the old sleeves all in one go, but it's possible to damage the new bushings. I also had other annoying mishaps along the way. So realistically I think I'd just recommend people burn them out and chisel. Before the chisel I might try a hacksaw blade-through-the-hole to make two slices into each sleeve thereby assisting the ability to knock the sleeve out in two pieces.

Alternatively, that kit from Wits End would be nice. I remember him talking about creating one for the 100 bushings, but I didn't find it on the site. A rental set for the forum would be amazing since most people will only do it once. The bushings are cheap. Only $153 shipped from PS.

Either way better documentation would help popularize the DIY. I know a lot of rigs will be needing it. Mine is a dream once I did all bushings on the truck. Hopefully the next person does a proper write-up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom