Rear axle off center 77 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

myquestoyota

SILVER Star
Threads
I was looking at the outside wall behind my driver side rear tire and saw scuff marks. I got to measuring and found out my passenger tire is an inch and a half farther out than my driver's side. I see no obvious reason why this is. OME springs and shackles. I'll get some pictures.

Pictures

20220202_160818.jpg

20220202_160710.jpg

20220202_160701.jpg

Interesting...could be axle-to-frame, or frame-to-body I suppose.

Should be able to measure tire-to-frame on both sides and get a clear answer...would wager it's the axle, but in theory it could also be worn body mounts.

homemade shackles?
worn spring bushings?
jack it up by the frame and see if it returns to center?

I measured from the body and from the frame and really didn't see the anything but that it is off. Original frame and body. I did install the OME springs and new OME shackles and bushings about 8 years ago. It's probably not a new thing but want to correct it.

Brand new Toyota wheels

Hey myquestoyota! Was walking around my ‘82 43, yesterday, and noticed the same thing…right rear wheel stands visibly farther out from body panel than left one…haven’t measured, yet, but looks like 1.5 to 2 inches. Did you ever diagnose a single cause for this?
Mine is only an occasional driver, but roads here are potholed and washboarded, so wonder — without yet exploring under my rig — whether the axle has “slipped” to the right due to some big knock.
Appreciate any observations you‘d like to share! Thanks!

- This here is EAZY PEEZY cause here to diagnose :

- one or both leaf spring center / centering pins is missing or the cylinder shaped TOP head is gone fore some unknown reason like rust or snapped off maybe too here

from age time or hard - core off road wodner-tainment by the PO ........:confused:

- lastly , same center pin topic here :

- LOOSE U-BOLTS maybe caused the AXLE to HOP over the center pin or simply CHOP IT'S HEAD OFF ...... 🤔

221004998454_01425 - Copy (2)_LI.jpg

1662983555534.png

1662983570527.png

Last edited:
I agree, jack it up until rear is hanging, see if it moves back, if not push it back while jacked up by frame , no weight on tires, when pushing back see what moves, may just be bushings need replacement, while jacked up also check u bolts, wouldnt hurt to lossen them and check center pins as well.

Hey myquestoyota! Was walking around my ‘82 43, yesterday, and noticed the same thing…right rear wheel stands visibly farther out from body panel than left one…haven’t measured, yet, but looks like 1.5 to 2 inches. Did you ever diagnose a single cause for this?
Mine is only an occasional driver, but roads here are potholed and washboarded, so wonder — without yet exploring under my rig — whether the axle has “slipped” to the right due to some big knock.
Appreciate any observations you‘d like to share! Thanks!

43? Is it from South America?

Axle perched probably broke off and were welded on wrong, seen that quite a few times, along with bent/broken spring hangers re welded on in the wrong place, missing spring center pins, hombrew shackles, etc

I've seen that in the past on various full framed vehicles and a diagonal measurement of the frame indicated that it was off square. Does it dog leg? That can cause the tire scuffing.

I spent some time underneath it replacing body mounts and noticed that the springs tended to have some bias toward one side. I think that if I loosen the u bolts and suspend the axle I may be able to center it some.

replace the bushings when you do that, loose shackle will let the axle shift left & right as well. You havent jacked it up yet ?

I spent some time underneath it replacing body mounts and noticed that the springs tended to have some bias toward one side. I think that if I loosen the u bolts and suspend the axle I may be able to center it some.

The springs and perches are supposed to be pinned, so you shouldn't be able make adjustments like this.

Unless your center pins are broken, or u bolts loose, the only other movement is in the shackles and bushings. just outa curiosity have you checked he back space on the rims ?

Brand new oem rims, the OME shackles, springs and bushings have been on for 10 years. No rock climbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom