Real time help front brake caliper bolt size??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TEXASLAWMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Drivers side brake caliper top bolt came out and is missing. What size bolt and thread is it???

Don't know the thread pitch, but IIRC it has non-flange type bolt head (uses a washer), takes a 17mm socket, and is threaded only about 2/3 the length of the bolt. Edit: found a photo, HTH
Front brake caliper bolt.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't tried it myself, but someone said a while back that one of the big bolts that hold the front tow hooks on, or bumper bolts will fit. Please post if it works!

Haven't tried it myself, but someone said a while back that one of the big bolts that hold the front tow hooks on, or bumper bolts will fit. Please post if it works!

This worked great it's also the same bolt as a fj60 tow hook. Both are a little long but a couple lock washers fixed that and I think it will hold till I get back to civilization!

The thread listed above is correct (12mm X 1.25) and 40 mm long. A 35 mm would work in a pinch if that's all the store has (from experience.)

Ahhhhh! THANK YOU! Perfect. Ordered.

Last edited:
Wow, i don't feel so bad. I just lost the top bolt out of mine this morning and was kicking myself because i figured I didnt seat it properly when i did the brakes.

So im off to buy a bolt.

Mig

Crazy, my bottom one just came out yesterday, glad to know it's relatively common and that I'm not alone in this! I just ordered from Amazon before I saw this thread. There are plenty of links, but just for posterity it is a M12-1.25 thread at 40mm long!

Crazy, my bottom one just came out yesterday, glad to know it's relatively common and that I'm not alone in this! I just ordered from Amazon before I saw this thread. There are plenty of links, but just for posterity it is a M12-1.25 thread at 40mm long!

Also with these being metric, make sure you get a class 10.9 or better. I just had a guy try to sell me a class 8.8 and he honestly thought that it was equivalent to a grade 8 SAE. Class 8.8 metric is equivalent to a grade 5. So it looks like I'll be surfing Amazon in a moment. I do generally try to frequent local businesses, but that seems to be working for me less and less frequently.

Oh well...

Mig

90ftlbs on front for torque, if it won't torque you need new threads inside

90ftlbs on front for torque, if it won't torque you need new threads inside
If it won't torque to 90 F.P. it may not be bad threads, but in fact is the wrong grade* bolt. A lesser grade bolt will not be strong enough to reach 90 foot pounds of torque, but will stretch under that much torque. *Note, calipers bolts are in fact a SAFETY item, and should NEVER be replaced with ANYTHING other then the exact same grade bolt. The factory caliper bolts have the number 11 imprinted on top of their head, denoting their high strength.

If it won't torque to 90 F.P. it may not be bad threads, but in fact is the wrong grade* bolt. A lesser grade bolt will not be strong enough to reach 90 foot pounds of torque, but will stretch under that much torque. *Note, calipers bolts are in fact a SAFETY item, and should NEVER be replaced with ANYTHING other then the exact same grade bolt. The factory caliper bolts have the number 11 imprinted on top of their head, denoting their high strength.
Yes he just bought new correct bolts and lost one so yes the threads could be boogered

Get spares while you are ordering.

These are on the list of stuff that gets torque checked periodically and before every trip. Also have two new bolts in my small stash of parts I travel with. Seen way too many people post "one of mine is missing too!"

Just got back from a trail. Lost the front driver had to remove one from the transmission to engine to get home. I little longer just added some washers

FYI if you are in the middle of the desert and your caliper falls off and the loctite you put on it won’t keep it on because the threads are so boogered and loose for some reason.

Hopefully the little border town will by some miracle, carry a tap for a 1/2” 20tpi and a couple bolts, and you have to remove just a little sliver of material for your desert field repair. And then you red loctite the crap out of those bolts ...

You know theoretically if that were to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom