real-time help: electrical bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey there. Been having electrical issues with lights, heater, not working. Pulled my dash out tonight, found this fried connector. I drive a 1989 fj62.

So... what am I looking at here? Is this just a common ground bus? Can I join all wires together and tie to a good ground point behind the dash?

PHOTO_20170210_214513.jpg

First I would figure out why you melted/burned a connector. I am not sure about replacing the connector or doing something else.

Is that directly under the steering column? About 6 months back I had the low beam wire start getting hot at the connector under the steering column. I found it by feeling around as I was driving after smelling a horrible electrical smell. I drove 150km with my hand on it, trying to draw out as much heat as possible, and stopping every 10mins to flood with wd40... The next day I cut the wires and looped them around the connector - all good since...

that is a ground splice. YES you can just tie them all together. the connector develops corrosion on the contacts and resistance builds up and heat is made...then you get what we have here today. there are threads that talk about how to clean these up, but a quick fix would be a ground buss and some tape or mastic to cover it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom