FJ62 Electrical Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Calling all FJ62 or 3FE Experts

I have an 1989 FJ62 that is having some weird issues. The 62 has been pulling daily duties for almost 2 months now with no issues. Over weekend I worked on doing the relay mod for the locks. I had some issues with that install but finally got them to work right last night.

This morning went to start it, but I had to jump start it, once I did that it started right up no issues. One issue I did realize was I had no heater blower. I figured maybe I tripped the breaker and would fix it later. When I came out to leave it was idling very rough and eventually died. I tried to start again but all power would leave when turning ignition. Jumped it off again and it started but was idling rough once again. Now I had no gauges, check engine light, or charge light. I unplugged the door harness where I added my relays in case that might be causing issue but no change in condition.

Battery shows only 10 volts. I though typically if there no check engine light, it shouldn't start. I checked all fuses and they are good. My next assumption was fusible link, I checked continuity and it showed 0.00 which I believe typically means they are good.

Someone local has a fusible link I am going to pickup and try that. Just confused as technically mine passed the continuity test.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

attachment (14).jpeg

I would charge the battery fully, see that it reads 12.6v after a few minutes of sitting, then start the truck and do an alternator/charging test. Check the volts at the battery idling (should be 14ish), turn on the high beams and blower, and check it again - should be very close to what it was (14-ish).

At this point, it sounds like your battery and/or charging system aren't quite all there. I wouldn't look further until you get that under control.

Thats a good suggestion. I hooked up the battery to a charger over my lunch break. I jump started the truck again before and verified the alternator is not currently charging.

The alternator wiring goes into the truck on the drivers side and I was working on the relays on the driver side kick panel where that wiring comes into the truck. Now I am wondering if I just have an issue with power to the gauges and that's why it still runs but have no CEL. And the rough idle could maybe due to low voltage??

I guess I will see how it runs with a fully charged battery. Any ideas what I could have done in the driver kick panel to affect alternator and gauges? I looked around and there is nothing obvious. I know there is a ground in the A pillar but did not mess with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom