Aftermarket Power Antenna with the factory switch, need electrical expertise! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone figured out how to wire an aftermarket Metra power antenna to work with the factory switch and an aftermarket radio? So the way it works now, the power antenna goes up automatically every time the car turns on and the radio is on and goes down as soon as the radio is off. I wanted to see if someone has already gone through the brain damage to figure out how to maybe use some relays and diodes to use the factory switch to get the antenna to go up and down when you want it instead.

Shouldn't be that hard. Does the antenna go down if you turn the radio off with the key on?

Shouldn't be that hard. Does the antenna go down if you turn the radio off with the key on?
It does. I found the factory plug under the hood that gives a momentary positive signal when you want the antenna to go up and when you want it to go down. the issue is, that the antenna needs a constant 12 volts and a switched 12 volts to stay up. As soon as it loses the switched 12 volts it goes down. I want to keep the radio on and the antenna down most of the time unless I want to listen to FM or AM radio. If I connect the momentary 12 volts to the switched wire of the antenna as soon as I let go of the switch, the antenna will go down. If I keep 12 volts on it, I can't get it back down until the car is off. This is my dilemma.

Ok if you use the remote wire off the radio for the switched power what happens sorry I'm not around my 62 and mine antenna is broken. That said if my antenna did work that's the way I would want it to function only go up while the ignition is on with use of the button then if I have it up and turn the key off it goes down automatically.

I put the 62 power antenna in my 60 a looong time ago. I just wired it through a switch to battery power. When the switch is pressed, the antenna starts extending, then when it hits its limit, it makes a clunking noise to let you know it’s done. Same with contraction.
It’s a super easy install if you just want a manual switch.

Ok if you use the remote wire off the radio for the switched power what happens sorry I'm not around my 62 and mine antenna is broken. That said if my antenna did work that's the way I would want it to function only go up while the ignition is on with use of the button then if I have it up and turn the key off it goes down automatically.
Typically you are totally right. I usually listen to streaming so I don't need the antenna that often and when it is up it hits the header going into the garage so I don't want to have to turn off the radio before going into the garage every day. The bonus with the momentary switch is I will be able to control the height of the antenna. Right now the auto antenna goes to full height.

there
I'm hoping that works. I ordered some relays on Amazon. Just looking at the diagram I have some doubts. I will let everyone know. Thanks for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom