Real-time Assist - Buried in Mud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

My brother and I both managed to get our trucks stuck last night in Carrizo Plain in San Luis Obispo county.

Any recommendations on an off road recovery service out here?

We are about 800 yards from decent trail and maybe 20 yards from boggy trail. Got stuck trying to turn around.

Currently in New Cuyama trying to figure out next steps.

Vehicle location
1679150218594.png

Thanks,
Austin

Last edited:
Call Matt's offroad recovery. It seems he has been going further and further for recoveries.

It's only a 7 or 8 hour drive for him, he has driven that far before for a recovery......

^^^
Correct. Pictures or it didn’t happen.😊

:popcorn: On the edge of my seat here. We need lots of pics

Hard to offer advice without more info. You can get yourself out of just about any situation with a winch, a shovel, and a spare tyre, but I'm guessing you don't have a winch?

Hey all thanks for the replies.

Apologies for my not-so-real-time responses. We spent the whole weekend out in the middle of the monument without coverage. Still freeing mud even after 5 hrs of scrubbing yesterday. Honestly just grateful to have the trucks back. Wasn't looking so good there for a bit.

Ultimately, we were able to find a recovery crew that came out with us to Carrizo Plain to pull the trucks out.

They had two F250s with lockers and about 700 feet of static line and 30 feet of kinetic.

The 4Runner, which was the further of the two vehicles, didn't come out when winched with a single snatch block as the winching vehicle (F250) was sliding due to muddy conditions on the road. Ultimately, the kinetic rope did the trick to pop the 4runner out. Once it was freed from the 24 inch mud it was able to get out under its own power.

I was in my Rivian which the recovery dudes were super nervous about due to the weight. He had also mentioned the flat bottom of the vehicle has a tendency to make it suction to mud more so than vecicles with conventional exposed ladder frames / diffs.

It took F250 1, 4Runner and F250 2 all pulling in unison to get the Rivian to start to budge. The extraction angle was not ideal (perhaps 60 degrees?) so my entire rear ended up rotating to align with the pulling angle before any progress was made. Felt a little unsettling to say the least to be in the cab of that truck.

Including some photos.

Really appreciate the community on here.

1679337530493-jpeg.3277860

Girlfriends and sister who will never be wheeling with us again, so they say :p
1679337577018.png

lake bed submerged Internet cafe, as my brother described it.

1679337599322.png

Wheel that slid laterally through the mud. This wheel in particular had about 25 lbs of mud distributed through the inner wheel surface that made driving about 55 impossible. 2 hrs of pressure washing to get it remotely balanced again.
1679337619405.png

Brother's truck was less buried. We could have self recovered if we did have to hike out the first night due to dwindling day light.
1679337642017.png

1679337530493.jpeg

Call Matt's offroad recovery. It seems he has been going further and further for recoveries.

It's only a 7 or 8 hour drive for him, he has driven that far before for a recovery......
He was my first thought. I love that dude and their channel. Fortunately, Mark, the guy I found in Atascadero was a pro and knew the area. He was reluctant as he had gotten stuck out there previously. Would have been short work for Matt's Morrvair!

Watching

I'm 2hr45mins away but if it's badly needed and no one is closer I don't mind making the trek.
Really appreciate your offer. Grateful I didn't have to rope you in.

This community rocks!

Hard to offer advice without more info. You can get yourself out of just about any situation with a winch, a shovel, and a spare tyre, but I'm guessing you don't have a winch?
Correct, no winch. Recovery rope, shovels, traction boards and spare tires.

I had a winch on my 80 I just sold, never had to use it for anything "real".

Apologies for my not-so-real-time responses. We spent the whole weekend out in the middle of the monument without coverage. Still freeing mud even after 5 hrs of scrubbing yesterday. Honestly just grateful to have the trucks back. Wasn't looking so good there for a bit.

Ultimately, we were able to find a recovery crew that came out with us to Carrizo Plain to pull the trucks out.

They had two F250s with lockers and about 700 feet of static line and 30 feet of kinetic.

The 4Runner, which was the further of the two vehicles, didn't come out when winched with a single snatch block as the winching vehicle (F250) was sliding due to muddy conditions on the road. Ultimately, the kinetic rope did the trick to pop the 4runner out. Once it was freed from the 24 inch mud it was able to get out under its own power.

I was in my Rivian which the recovery dudes were super nervous about due to the weight. He had also mentioned the flat bottom of the vehicle has a tendency to make it suction to mud more so than vecicles with conventional exposed ladder frames / diffs.

It took F250 1, 4Runner and F250 2 all pulling in unison to get the Rivian to start to budge. The extraction angle was not ideal (perhaps 60 degrees?) so my entire rear ended up rotating to align with the pulling angle before any progress was made. Felt a little unsettling to say the least to be in the cab of that truck.

Including some photos.

View attachment 3277862

View attachment 3277863
Wheel that slid laterally through the mud. This wheel in particular had about 25 lbs of mud distributed through the inner wheel surface that made driving about 55 impossible. 2 hrs of pressure washing to get it remotely balanced again.
View attachment 3277864
Brother's truck was less buried. We could have self recovered if we did have to hike out the first night due to dwindling day light.
View attachment 3277865

View attachment 3277860
A Rivian???

:cheers:

Well, you weren’t the only ones I guess…

:doh: :bang:
A4C986B9-B121-4627-970B-703EC87495A2.jpeg

Including some photos.

View attachment 3277862

View attachment 3277863
View attachment 3277864
View attachment 3277865

View attachment 3277860

From the look of these photos doesn't look like there's a road or even a trail there so why did you drive into this to begin with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom